Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 11:11 PM

275 posts, read 978,305 times

Advertisements

Take a look to the maps.

2000 Census

Red= White Non Hispanic
Yellow=Hispanic
Blue= Black
Green=Asian

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2010, 11:30 PM

111 posts, read 284,819 times
FYI, for comparison here are similar maps for 100 other cities (large and small) all around the United States: Link: Race and ethnicity - a set on Flickr (http://www.flickr.com/photos/walkingsf/sets/72157624812674967/detail/ - broken link) (Each dot represents 25 people)

When I came across this earlier this week, I was rather astonished at just how *sharp* the dividing line is between ethnic groups in some of the major cities, such as New York or Detroit. It's almost as if someone drew a line and said "only xxx can live here, only yyy can live there". Alas, we are still largely a very ethnically and culturally divided country, whether by choice, or due to legacies left over from the inequalities of our past, or the persistence of such policies and laws in present-day society. Interesting to note that compared to many (most?) other cities, the dividing lines between ethnic groups for San Antonio are not as distinct.

Old 09-30-2010, 03:48 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,473,840 times
This topic has been discussed here:

Geographic racial devision (or lack thereof) in San Antonio

It's hard to do a fair comparison because some of these cities have greater population density making the divisions look bolder and many of these cities have more diversity than the Texas cities. Out of the largest Texas cities, Houston looks to be the most diverse and to have the most integration. The San Francisco Bay area looks to be one of the most diverse and integrated cities shown. Most of the Californian cities in general look to be the most diverse. Of course, New York is very diverse, but the division is very apparent. The thing about New York though is that you see different color patches all over the city instead of having whole ethnic groups concentrated on one side of town. Actually, the groups look pretty mixed in the center of New York whereas San Antonio is orange in the center, red on the outlying areas, and there's a sparse patch of blue on the east side.

Last edited by L210; 09-30-2010 at 03:55 AM.. Reason: Added some stuff.

Old 09-30-2010, 03:49 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,875,368 times
I still do not understand what 'diverse' means? We have had six flags, not all white people are the same, do we just lack more foreigners or something?

Or does having one white, one Mexican, and one black person living on the same block make it diverse? I thought that just made it the NW side.

Old 09-30-2010, 04:02 AM

Diverse means variety. Some cities are diverse but not integrated and some cities don't even have enough diversity to show integration. San Antonio is about 90% white and Hispanic with Hispanics mostly living inside the loop and whites living outside the loop; to many people, that is not diverse.

Old 09-30-2010, 04:09 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,875,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meisha210 View Post
Diverse means variety. Some cities are diverse but not integrated and some cities don't even have enough diversity to show integration. San Antonio is about 90% white and Hispanic with Hispanics mostly living inside the loop and whites living outside the loop; to many people, that is not diverse.
Well you might be right about us not being diverse but this fact of 'Hispanics mostly live inside the loop' does not seem accurate. Many Hispanics live outside the loop. Perhaps what you mean is that within the loop you primarily find Hispanics but Hispanics are found throughout all of San Antonio.

Traditionally yes, Hispanics were not found on the North side at all, but times have changed.

So basically diversity = integration? But since we do not even have variety we are not integrated enough? That though is just based in historical migration patterns and not any fault of our own?

Old 09-30-2010, 06:19 AM

I should've worded that better, there aren't that many whites living inside the loop except for on the NE side, so it's mostly inhabited by Hispanics. But there are a lot of Hispanics living outside the loop. It looks like there is a little white flight going towards the 1604 area. This map is easier to look at.

http://www.sanantonio.gov/planning/p...s/0304GQ07.pdf

What I meant is that even though a city is diverse, it doesn't mean it's integrated. If a city isn't diverse, then there is no integration to show. The most integrated parts of San Antonio look to be the NE side between I-10 and I-35, China Grove, and pockets of the far west side.

Last edited by L210; 09-30-2010 at 06:26 AM.. Reason: Correction.

Old 09-30-2010, 07:47 AM

322 posts, read 748,807 times
This map is also made from the 2000 census.

Old 09-30-2010, 09:20 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,984,233 times
As someone who was bussed across the city as a 6th grader in the 1970s so I could attend a school in a predominantly "black" part of town, I can tell you that this country has come a long way toward being more integrated/more diversity in my short 47 year lifespan.

That social experiment was ridiculous as the majority of my classes were full of white kids like myself who had been bussed over. All of the black kids that lived nearby where bussed across town to where we would normally be going to classes. We did have some black teachers, but we had those at my old schools so it wasn’t anything new to us.

These days such measures are no longer necessary, and I think people are making a big deal out of nothing, as there are no sections of San Antonio that I know of that are off limits to anyone because of their race. Income, maybe; but as long as a person can afford to live somewhere, there's nothing stopping them from doing so and that, my friends, is the bottom line!

Cheers! M2

Old 09-30-2010, 01:58 PM

3,854 posts, read 4,834,708 times
It would be better to see a moving image of the movement in the past 50 years. with the movement of white to the far NS nad to expansion of Hispanic out of the WS and black out of the ES. Go back and see the graph from pre-Hemisphere era.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio