Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2013, 10:35 PM

171 posts, read 311,467 times

Advertisements

My wife speaks fluent spanish and knows when someone is fluent and when someone is trying to act like they speak spanish. twice in the 2-3 months we were approached when leaving businesses, beggars where speaking spanish horribly saying they needed change and didn't have anywhere to live. This angers my wife to no end. who immediantly calls them out. Telling them to go get a job. My thoughts are why are you acting some immigrant. Their spanish seemed memorized.

I recall a few years ago, on two seperate occasions people would knock asking for money. One saying he was locked out of his house and was hungry. The other one was trying to sell some cheap looking picture frame for money. I'm thinking to myself "Are your serious, it not enough to ask for change out on the street. Now people are going door to door?" Glad it hasn't happended in a few years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2013, 08:35 AM

500 posts, read 969,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runback22 View Post
I have only given money to one person panhandling on the street. I gave him $20. The only reason is because his sign said
"I aint gonna lie, I just need to get drunk. Wouldnt you want to if you were me?" I gladly handed him the money because it made me laugh and it took balls.
Now there you go!

Old 01-13-2013, 08:59 AM

1,074 posts, read 1,801,740 times

ernest tubb...pass the booze - YouTube

Gotta get drunk ha! Not only are these bums everywhere they leave their trash behind at their makeshift camps. I was on the SE side last night and they were out in full force on Military. Enough already with the panhandling!

Old 01-13-2013, 10:22 AM

5 posts, read 10,166 times
The TRUTH about Haven for Hope:

This is how I had to get lunch just yesterday:

Imagine, everyone complains that they have to take off their shoes at an airport. Now imagine having to take off your shoes, empty your pockets, have your bag dumped out, and not only searched but asked why you have it. Then, walk through the metal detector, put your own things back in your bag that the guard dumped out and walk through the gate to the Mission to get a bit of lunch. But is this a normal gate, no. This is a six or seven foot high gate with sharp spikes at the top. Your view to the left is abandoned manufacturing buildings while to the right is the most expensive homeless campus in San Antonio.

I had to skip meals the day before because intake, just to get a meal, would take four hours, and I canot justify showing up at 11 and sitting in a small room, (where I was searched and patted down thoroughly too) just to get a cold sacked lunch). But, yesterday was not too bad, so to speak, Just talk to the lady who gave me a 'temporary badge' until I could get my fresh state-issued, RFID chipped badge bright and early monday morning... (yes having to go back to the intake office, be searched and enjoy yet another four hour wait in the middle of what could be a productive day.)

To HoH's credit the lady who did my abbreviated intake was friendly, she took me to the Courtyard, and showed me where all the people slept, on the concrete. She explained that women were on the lower side, while the men, separated by what appeared to be police tap was on the upper side. She said that at 9 at night, you can come up, and get your bed roll and find a spot, but some who have been there a while get 'territorial' and its best to just find a new spot yourself to avoid confrontation.

Taking me into the building, she pointed to the shower area, where hundreds, if not thousands of men use daily. Not private showers, no, where you are exposed to all the other guys, and all the hepatitus on the floor. She walked me then into the dining room and told me I could 'hang out here all day' but as it happened to be dinner time, I went straight to the end of the line. The dining room was filthy, trash everwhere, smelled horrible. The building was clearly not designed to be a homeless shelter, because you have to walk from the dining room, down a hall, and around a corner, to a dead end hallway to get your lunch, and then turn arouund, trying not to run into the other people, to go back into the dining room to eat. Needless to say I ate quickly.

Now, if this does not horrify you nothing will. But lets begin. As a Christian first, I do not recall the bible saying that Jesus required patdowns, metal detectors, and questioning before he fed the 5000. I know many well intentioned christians, and large funds from the city and state went to build this end all-be all facility, but frankly, I am not the only one who likens it to a prison. And really, if you go there and have to sleep outside, you may as well save yourself the hastle, and sleep outside anywhere, there is no difference.

Christian first, American Second. I am a United States Citizen, born and raised. I was taught by my founding fathers that trading your rights for security was a bad thing, and always resulted in downfall. I cannot justify, going through near-prison-house security for a lunch. I cannot justify it. I would rather go hungry for a few days, and then eat at one of the churches (which San Antonio is also trying to do alway with). As for pan-handing, I do not do it. Too much pride there, but I do walk around San Antonio daily. I take my 'route'.

I sleep outside, trying to be courteous to the tourists and have chosen an out of the way, completely unnoticable area to sleep.. Its dark, quiet, and unless I sneezed, you would never know I was there.

When it comes to begging. Frankly, the entire city is over-flowing with food. I eat much better here than when I had my job and apartment last month. Beggers want the money, mostly for cigarettes, because foodstamps do not cover it, or alcohol. Beggers know that if you ask for something small, like a dime or nickle, you will likely just give your entire contents of your pocket change, which will amount usually to 1.50 or more (assuming you have been spending at places). Begging isn't right to do when you can survive without doing it, BUT there have been times where I have had to beg for money for various things (like a clean pair of socks).

I have not even investigated how I would go about getting clean clothes at that prison of a shelter SA wasted their money on, but Ill figure it out one day. In the mean time, Ill be laying in front of the Library soaking up the sun.

-------------------

I want to explain one more thing about Homelessness: only about a quarter of the obviously homeless people you see make up the whole picture, the other 75% are people just like you and me.. who you would never guess was homeless until you asked. The 25% really ruin it for the rest of us, and is likely why San Antonio built HoH... to get them out of the tourist area. HoH has nothing to do with compassion, it is not even built for the 75% who just want to get a job and get out. Think about this, honestly, just to get a bed to sleep somewhat comfortably in one of their large barracks, I would have to sleep outside first on the concrete 30 nights. So, if your wife kicks you out of the house guys, or ladies, if you do not have children and you loose your job, do not count on a decent nights sleep for at least 30 days. Getting another job... forget about it, there are no bus tickets, no help for 30 days. 30 days, coincidently enough is JUST enough time to break your spirit, be put on one of their BS medication lists (you know the phych medications), and get used to your balls being patted down every time you want a meal. Frankly, I would never even want to sleep on the concrete with all those people anyway. It is a beakon of theft, drunks or other addicts, and the occasional rape.

Me, I lied, I used google to get an alamo heights address (randomly), then used Travellers Aid to get an ID (because they do it for free and you dont need proof of address ). I just use my good clothes in my bag when I go out, nobody knows the difference. But, not everyone has as good as I do like that. Yes, its kidn of deceptive, but I really try not to go looking for handouts, yet sometimes you have to use them because everyone has a negative stereotype of Homeless people... you know, smelly, with a bag, begging, not shaven. Not me, I wear the churchclothes I took with me everyday. if the girls who yell out their cars to me knew I was homeless or under what tree on the riverwalk I slept, they would be mightily embarassed at themselves. But everyone does it differently.

So, at the end of the day, to the people who complain about beggers. you are ALWAYS welcome to join me at the Haven of Hope for a dinner sometime or to spend the night. But, you will not come, will you. This is our live, my life, how we live, and could very easily be how you live if you loose your job. How will your rent be paid if you loose your job tomorrow? Probably not too long. But hey, we will survive and look out for eachother (sometimes). Meanwhile, you just continue to be concerned about your quarter.

-Zarvarza

PS, pray I get a job soon.

Last edited by Zarvarza; 01-13-2013 at 10:43 AM.. Reason: forgot something

Old 01-13-2013, 03:29 PM

21 posts, read 38,254 times
These walking trashbags need to take a bath and get a job

Old 01-13-2013, 04:57 PM

21 posts, read 37,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarvarza View Post

Imagine, everyone complains that they have to take off their shoes at an airport. Now imagine having to take off your shoes, empty your pockets, have your bag dumped out, and not only searched but asked why you have it. Then, walk through the metal detector, put your own things back in your bag that the guard dumped out and walk through the gate to the Mission to get a bit of lunch. But is this a normal gate, no. This is a six or seven foot high gate with sharp spikes at the top. Your view to the left is abandoned manufacturing buildings while to the right is the most expensive homeless campus in San Antonio.

I had to skip meals the day before because intake, just to get a meal, would take four hours, and I canot justify showing up at 11 and sitting in a small room, (where I was searched and patted down thoroughly too) just to get a cold sacked lunch). But, yesterday was not too bad, so to speak, Just talk to the lady who gave me a 'temporary badge' until I could get my fresh state-issued, RFID chipped badge bright and early monday morning... (yes having to go back to the intake office, be searched and enjoy yet another four hour wait in the middle of what could be a productive day.)

To HoH's credit the lady who did my abbreviated intake was friendly, she took me to the Courtyard, and showed me where all the people slept, on the concrete. She explained that women were on the lower side, while the men, separated by what appeared to be police tap was on the upper side. She said that at 9 at night, you can come up, and get your bed roll and find a spot, but some who have been there a while get 'territorial' and its best to just find a new spot yourself to avoid confrontation.

Taking me into the building, she pointed to the shower area, where hundreds, if not thousands of men use daily. Not private showers, no, where you are exposed to all the other guys, and all the hepatitus on the floor. She walked me then into the dining room and told me I could 'hang out here all day' but as it happened to be dinner time, I went straight to the end of the line. The dining room was filthy, trash everwhere, smelled horrible. The building was clearly not designed to be a homeless shelter, because you have to walk from the dining room, down a hall, and around a corner, to a dead end hallway to get your lunch, and then turn arouund, trying not to run into the other people, to go back into the dining room to eat. Needless to say I ate quickly.

Now, if this does not horrify you nothing will. But lets begin. As a Christian first, I do not recall the bible saying that Jesus required patdowns, metal detectors, and questioning before he fed the 5000. I know many well intentioned christians, and large funds from the city and state went to build this end all-be all facility, but frankly, I am not the only one who likens it to a prison. And really, if you go there and have to sleep outside, you may as well save yourself the hastle, and sleep outside anywhere, there is no difference.

Christian first, American Second. I am a United States Citizen, born and raised. I was taught by my founding fathers that trading your rights for security was a bad thing, and always resulted in downfall. I cannot justify, going through near-prison-house security for a lunch. I cannot justify it. I would rather go hungry for a few days, and then eat at one of the churches (which San Antonio is also trying to do alway with). As for pan-handing, I do not do it. Too much pride there, but I do walk around San Antonio daily. I take my 'route'.

I sleep outside, trying to be courteous to the tourists and have chosen an out of the way, completely unnoticable area to sleep.. Its dark, quiet, and unless I sneezed, you would never know I was there.

When it comes to begging. Frankly, the entire city is over-flowing with food. I eat much better here than when I had my job and apartment last month. Beggers want the money, mostly for cigarettes, because foodstamps do not cover it, or alcohol. Beggers know that if you ask for something small, like a dime or nickle, you will likely just give your entire contents of your pocket change, which will amount usually to 1.50 or more (assuming you have been spending at places). Begging isn't right to do when you can survive without doing it, BUT there have been times where I have had to beg for money for various things (like a clean pair of socks).

I have not even investigated how I would go about getting clean clothes at that prison of a shelter SA wasted their money on, but Ill figure it out one day. In the mean time, Ill be laying in front of the Library soaking up the sun.

-------------------

I want to explain one more thing about Homelessness: only about a quarter of the obviously homeless people you see make up the whole picture, the other 75% are people just like you and me.. who you would never guess was homeless until you asked. The 25% really ruin it for the rest of us, and is likely why San Antonio built HoH... to get them out of the tourist area. HoH has nothing to do with compassion, it is not even built for the 75% who just want to get a job and get out. Think about this, honestly, just to get a bed to sleep somewhat comfortably in one of their large barracks, I would have to sleep outside first on the concrete 30 nights. So, if your wife kicks you out of the house guys, or ladies, if you do not have children and you loose your job, do not count on a decent nights sleep for at least 30 days. Getting another job... forget about it, there are no bus tickets, no help for 30 days. 30 days, coincidently enough is JUST enough time to break your spirit, be put on one of their BS medication lists (you know the phych medications), and get used to your balls being patted down every time you want a meal. Frankly, I would never even want to sleep on the concrete with all those people anyway. It is a beakon of theft, drunks or other addicts, and the occasional rape.

Me, I lied, I used google to get an alamo heights address (randomly), then used Travellers Aid to get an ID (because they do it for free and you dont need proof of address ). I just use my good clothes in my bag when I go out, nobody knows the difference. But, not everyone has as good as I do like that. Yes, its kidn of deceptive, but I really try not to go looking for handouts, yet sometimes you have to use them because everyone has a negative stereotype of Homeless people... you know, smelly, with a bag, begging, not shaven. Not me, I wear the churchclothes I took with me everyday. if the girls who yell out their cars to me knew I was homeless or under what tree on the riverwalk I slept, they would be mightily embarassed at themselves. But everyone does it differently.

So, at the end of the day, to the people who complain about beggers. you are ALWAYS welcome to join me at the Haven of Hope for a dinner sometime or to spend the night. But, you will not come, will you. This is our live, my life, how we live, and could very easily be how you live if you loose your job. How will your rent be paid if you loose your job tomorrow? Probably not too long. But hey, we will survive and look out for eachother (sometimes). Meanwhile, you just continue to be concerned about your quarter.

-Zarvarza

im sorry with that kind of attitude good luck getting and keeping a job. I could get a job down the street in about 5 min. I dont see what the issue is

Old 01-13-2013, 06:49 PM

2,649 posts, read 7,441,550 times
Quote:

-------------------

-Zarvarza

Don't like it, don't go. Hope you didn't steal my address.

Old 01-14-2013, 08:33 AM

2,721 posts, read 4,391,907 times
Default Zarvarzara,

I pray you find employment soon. This seems like quite a sophisticated sounding
of an entry for a person who cannot find work. You seem educated, and capable enough.
Plenty. You don't seem incapable of being very productive ?
I am certain most of us here have had a rough start in our working lives when money was tight and the budget stretched thin. If there even was enough money for a budget. Money is hard to hang on to,
even for those who earn a substantial amount.
Some maybe haven't and have had everything given to them here , I did not.
This is quite a dramatic entry. Have any marketable skills or some trade experience ?
Somwone posed a question here on this thread, What would the homeless answer back here if they could speak out.
It is a direct answer back to the query- from you from the "them" to "us"- on the attitudes of the
the established with posessions and homes-and how disgusted some here at this forum are at the beggars at the freeway ramps, someone entered here. The claim that those folks are panhandling for booze or whatever.
Your claim is that the freeway and intersection panhandlers are giving you and other homeless a bad
reputation. Interesting.
It sounds a very haggard life.
If you are 30 days away from a beginning, that is a very,very good thing. Opportunity exists out there, while it seems impossible keep looking up, don't stop. Hell many, many people have come a long way after starting with nothing. Stay strong. Instead of soaking up sun at the library courtyard walk everyplace you can and seek opportunity, never stop.
That is where the quarters lay, Zarzavara my friend, not from the charity of strangers.
Never stop striving for more. What else do you have to do all day? Be relentless. Success will come.
Maybe you can become one of the legitimate freeway homeless temporarily and actually need a new beginning. For bus money. Be careful my friend, I can empathize with your plight, you seem honest.
Que Vaya Con Dios.
Quote:

-------------------

-Zarvarza

Old 01-14-2013, 10:04 AM

5 posts, read 10,166 times
Quote:
I pray you find employment soon. This seems like quite a sophisticated sounding
of an entry for a person who cannot find work. You seem educated, and capable enough.
Plenty. You don't seem incapable of being very productive ?
I am certain most of us here have had a rough start in our working lives when money was tight and the budget stretched thin. If there even was enough money for a budget. Money is hard to hang on to,
even for those who earn a substantial amount.
Some maybe haven't and have had everything given to them here , I did not.
This is quite a dramatic entry. Have any marketable skills or some trade experience ?
Somwone posed a question here on this thread, What would the homeless answer back here if they could speak out.
It is a direct answer back to the query- from you from the "them" to "us"- on the attitudes of the
the established with posessions and homes-and how disgusted some here at this forum are at the beggars at the freeway ramps, someone entered here. The claim that those folks are panhandling for booze or whatever.
Your claim is that the freeway and intersection panhandlers are giving you and other homeless a bad
reputation. Interesting.
It sounds a very haggard life.
If you are 30 days away from a beginning, that is a very,very good thing. Opportunity exists out there, while it seems impossible keep looking up, don't stop. Hell many, many people have come a long way after starting with nothing. Stay strong. Instead of soaking up sun at the library courtyard walk everyplace you can and seek opportunity, never stop.
That is where the quarters lay, Zarzavara my friend, not from the charity of strangers.
Never stop striving for more. What else do you have to do all day? Be relentless. Success will come.
Maybe you can become one of the legitimate freeway homeless temporarily and actually need a new beginning. For bus money. Be careful my friend, I can empathize with your plight, you seem honest.
Que Vaya Con Dios.
Yep, I look for a job everyday, Fortunately I have found some resources (CAM) that have been rather helpful, as well as the location of a temp agency near enough to walk to, which is nice. A few days at the Temp agency will afford me a hotel room to shower in, as well as some respectable clothing for applying for jobs in in the downtown (I have manufacturing and restraurant management experience). And thank you for the decent reply. So many people forget that the homeless started out as normal people like you and I, who somehow lost their way, or job, or spirit to continue on.

I replied to this post initially, because I read over the comments that people posted about beggers. Albeit I am new to San Antonio, the fact nationwide remains concrete that most people are only a paycheck away from a very similar situation and thus almost hypocritical that 'homeless' are lumped up into one big catagory and all looked down on/hated/ignored, etc. Many do not understand that a majority are people whome you would not recognize as being homeless. Your neighbor moved out of his house... did the bank take it, and he is now eating at the food bank or did he simply move to another place. The couple across the street had an argument and she asked him to leave for the night. Where did he go? Had a friend to take him in, or to the shelter for the night? Homelessness does not have a well represented advocacy group.

I believe people are people and there are good and bad to every type. A begger asking for a quarter is no different thana investor asking for your pension check. Some are legit, some are the Bernie Madoff's of the world looking to make a profit at your expense.

For many of those who claim my attitude is wrong, by all means visit me at the library and have a real conversation, or better yet, take a stroll down to Haven of Hope and see for yourself just how that place operates (it is public afterall). It is a shame that a person with little or nothing would choose to sleep outdoors, on the concrete of a churchstep, or in an alleyway rather than go there. Think about that for a moment, or simply do not take my word for it and ask someone once when you are down by the Riverwalk their opinion of HoH. They will be more than happy to colorfully tell you.

Beggers are everywhere in SA, there is no doubt about it, but in a city of well over a million, that is not surprising. I, for one think there is more begging going on in Waterloo Iowa than here. A homeless guy now gets fined 500 dollars for panhandling. An amount he will never be able to pay off, which means that the taxpayers do in one form or another. There simply is no logic in that, and does not solve the root problems of homelessness in SA.

My advice for SA, would be to greatly reform HoH into something that resembles sanity and dignity. Starting would be to re-open the shelters they closed, and allow the men and women who sleep on the concrete outside to have an indoor place to sleep. (it is cold out there). Require a shower for a bed would solve that problem greatly. To get food, one should not be required to go though extreme airport security to get to. Those two things alone would greatly reduce the number of people sleeping downtown and begging. The solution to begging isn't imposing a fine on it, but abolishing the reasoning for people to do it in the first place. Will it 100% go away, no. There are always scammers out there, but, at least look at why the legit beggers have to do it.

---

I probably should have re-worded it when I said that those types of beggers give homeless a bad name. But let me address it.

In my view, there are two types of Homeless. The Career Homeless, (I think they call them Chronic Homeless) and the Temporary homeless.

Now every person has their vice: When a banker gets off work he sits at home and has a glass of scotch and enjoys his evening. When a waitress gets off work she may chain-smoke three cigarettes, and do whatever. A factory worker gets off work and maybe smokes a little weed and has a bottle before bed. But lord forbid a homeless man smoke or drink. Is that not a double standard? Undoubtedly many of the career homeless are not much like me. I do not have a criminal record, don't do drugs, and steer clear of crime and drama. These I know are my best shot of getting out of my situation. But many homeless are not like this. Substance abusers, runaways, milkers of the system, and people who do not want responsibility, and people who lost hope or care about themselves usually make up what you see as 'homeless' and are the minority. The other homeless are virtually unrecognizable, but there none the less. Looking up the statistics: 59% of homeless live in their car, 36% are children, 13% employed, 24% live outdoors, 40% are vets, only 20% recieve food stamps, Substance abusers: 26-40%, and you are 10% less likely to have a homeless person vandalize your property than a housed person.

So, looking at the statistics, there are far more homeless who are not career homeless (the stereotypical homeless person), than otherwise. Most of us are decent people, dont want to be dependent on foodstamps or government handouts, but simply need a hand up toward a job or place to live.

For me, looking at it, I am happy of where I stand. I am one of the 80% who does not take food stamps, one of the 75% or so who is not a substance abuser. For the most part, I represent the 'average homeless person' the person invisible to you, not begging, but out there doing what I have to to move up again, and reclaim what I once had. San Antonio should begin to address this majority in an honest way.

Last edited by Zarvarza; 01-14-2013 at 10:33 AM.. Reason: Added Something

Old 01-14-2013, 03:39 PM

62 posts, read 110,766 times
Just got back from some afternoon shopping at Alamo Ranch Marketplace with my son. Not too happy with what I'm seeing around there lately. Today was not good...a whole family of Mexicans sitting on the grass/curb by Supertarget asking for food and money (they just got here, so their sign claimed). Another elderly man in shorts roaming among the cars at Culebra/1604. Finally, the clientele IN the SuperTarget today was not good, nor like anything I've seen there. Witnessed two teens caught shoplifting and being held at the front. This solidifies my decision to move in 2014- can't handle the tagging increasing, either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio