Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2013, 10:58 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,992,062 times

Advertisements

I saw a guy in a Lexus pick up an old kid's bike put out in front of my neighbor's house. I don't think it is a "class" issue at all...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2013, 11:53 AM

4,329 posts, read 7,237,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
In the city I used to live in, items left at the curb for disposal were considered city property. Taking them or dismantling them was therefore a crime, equivalent to taking or dismantling something from the lobby of city hall.

That's one solution.
IIRC, the City of San Antonio has or had the same policy, but it apparently only applied or was only enforced on recyclables placed out for collection. It seemed that when we were still using the green bins for manual recycling pickup, there was a problem with scavengers who were driving up and down streets early on collection days, stopping at each residence, and and mining through the bins for items that could be converted to cash, like aluminum cans.

The City said no, items placed in those bins at the curbside became City Property at that point, and scavengers were committing theft - please report any such incidents to police. They said if you want to donate your recyclable items to another party, hold them back and make arrangements with that party, instead of putting them out on the curb.

Nothing was said about garbage and bulky items, but the City has to pay to dispose of those materials, whereas they get paid for the recyclables, which might have had something to do with it. The more garbage and bulky items they dump, the more they have to pay, but the more recyclables they turn over, the more they get paid.

Old 02-01-2013, 12:01 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,878,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynetwo View Post
It's a pain to debate with you.

You are 100% wrong on this issues.

I have multiply friends that go around and collect this "trash" and scrap it or use it. They are by no way poor or the poorest of the poor they simply do it because growing up (in a middle class household) there family took them to do it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
I saw a guy in a Lexus pick up an old kid's bike put out in front of my neighbor's house. I don't think it is a "class" issue at all...
Well your description is at odds with the one within the OP (embolded below for your convenience). You are talking a different breed. I also bet your dad with kid getting a bike lived in that neighborhood? It doesn't matter the people the OP was talking about clearly did not because he asked, "How do these people find out which neighborhood is going to have pick up and when?"

The general description of "husband and wives" is clearly not what M2 and R2 are spinning. The OP is complaining about the poor, sugarcoat all you wish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Americasman View Post
So about a week before its bulky pickup time in my neighborhood, it starts. The pickup trucks with husbands and wives going thru the piles of stuff taking what then want. Their trucks piled to overflowing with junk. And some look almost dangerous in how packed the truck is. How do these people find out which neighborhood is going to have pick up and when? And, what do they do with all of that stuff that they take. The big item I saw this year was the insides of mattresses. The springs and metal and stuff. They would come by and just cut all the way around the mattress and take the metal and leave the rest of it on the ground. Why doesnt the city try and control this kind of thing? It congests the neighborhood because they will park right in the middle of the street to get out and look at a pile of junk. Plus, there is no thought into how they pack the truck. That had got to be dangerous.
Now M2 I wish to point you to the question in the OP. "And, what do they do with all of that stuff they take?"

Tell him M2, "they are just taking bikes for their son, no biggie, quit complaining", because I assume that is what you are telling me?

Old 02-01-2013, 12:06 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,992,062 times
I can't assume anything, all I saw was a guy in a Lexus putting the bike in the back of his car.

Whether he was giving it to his son, selling it on Craigslist or whatever, I simply cannot say.

What I do know is that there is nothing you can do about people taking items put out for pick-up.

As for the alleged SA policy, I would be interested in a link as I don't see how the city can legally claim ownership of something simply because it is on a public street.

That said, I know of several city ordinances that are not enforceable as they violate state law.

Old 02-01-2013, 12:07 PM

4,437 posts, read 5,349,686 times
Could the "these" in "these people" mean the people who are driving around picking up the stuff?

Just because you think he was looking down on some class that your feel the need to protect on Cd doesn't make it true.

Old 02-01-2013, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
I can't assume anything, all I saw was a guy in a Lexus putting the bike in the back of his car.

Whether he was giving it to his son, selling it on Craigslist or whatever, I simply cannot say.

What I do know is that there is nothing you can do about people taking items put out for pick-up.

As for the alleged SA policy, I would be interested in a link as I don't see how the city can legally claim ownership of something simply because it is on a public street.

That said, I know of several city ordinances that are not enforceable as they violate state law.
Oh, about that recyclables, I think I remember reading some of these scrappers began getting in the way of the city's collection trucks. That might have something to do with it.

Old 02-01-2013, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynetwo View Post
Could the "these" in "these people" mean the people who are driving around picking up the stuff?

Just because you think he was looking down on some class that your feel the need to protect on Cd doesn't make it true.
Well I know they were not from his neighborhood.

I'd like to see less complaining about people from other neighborhoods and other sides of town on this forum. I don't see why you don't want the same thing?

Old 02-01-2013, 12:58 PM

77 posts, read 162,654 times
Ours was last week and I'm glad they took my crap. Got it off my lawn a few days earlier. However, I now watch them when I hear them. The last time we had pickup some d-bag took my stuff, which was packed neatly, and dropped off a wet cardboard box that was filled with broken beer bottles. I guess he needed to make space for my stuff and left me a big thank you. I dont mind good, hard working people picking stuff up, but trash picking up trash I dont like.

Not only did the broken glass fall out, but the front of my yard looked like crap and there I was cleaning it up at 10:00 pm. Pissed me off to no end.

Old 02-01-2013, 01:16 PM

6,707 posts, read 8,780,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runback22 View Post
Ours was last week and I'm glad they took my crap. Got it off my lawn a few days earlier. However, I now watch them when I hear them. The last time we had pickup some d-bag took my stuff, which was packed neatly, and dropped off a wet cardboard box that was filled with broken beer bottles. I guess he needed to make space for my stuff and left me a big thank you. I dont mind good, hard working people picking stuff up, but trash picking up trash I dont like.

Not only did the broken glass fall out, but the front of my yard looked like crap and there I was cleaning it up at 10:00 pm. Pissed me off to no end.
Don't you dare say they are from a different class!

Kidding aside, that was a pretty crappy thing to do. I would be livid.

Old 02-01-2013, 09:03 PM

144 posts, read 360,269 times
Hey, just a reminder... Tomorrow is FREE landfill day for SA residents!

City of San Antonio | Official Web Site - Solid Waste Management Department
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio