Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2013, 07:44 AM

9,851 posts, read 13,696,195 times

Advertisements

When I originally joined CD a few years ago it was to ask some questions about this topic as well. Anyway. I have a budget of no more than $575 so I know I won't be moving to one of the new lofts downtown. I am looking for a 1 bedroom apartment that is near work downtown (to save a bit and do something different). I have narrowed down my search to the SAC area no further north that Olmos Park to River North south to King William/Lavaca.

I do have some questions though, especially for those of you in the King William or SAC areas. Where do you grocery shop? What types of restaurants do you frequent? I know it's hit or miss as far as crime so what specific areas should I avoid or if I find something just be like, "No way!" and move on? Or are there any particular areas that I should jump on the second I see them? I am going to look at an apartment near St. Mary's and Presa later on this afternoon. I'm relatively quiet and keep to myself so I'm hoping that being in these areas will force me to explore and meet some new people since I've been on the northwest side of the city practically my whole life. Are there any other areas that I should consider? I am not adverse to the Medical Center either (even though that's not as independent as I was looking for, I do like the fact that the track is there and I know the area).

Thanks for any help y'all can give me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2013, 11:05 AM

330 posts, read 587,625 times
DM'd you. Forgot to address the grocery store question though. My first choice for us is Whole Foods, but I also go to Central Market twice a week while my girls are in ballet class in AH. I go to Trader Joe's a couple times a month, and there is an HEB in Olmos Park that we'll use in a pinch. If my family didn't have so many food allergies/kooky dietary needs, we'd use the Olmos HEB more often.

Old 02-02-2013, 11:23 AM

2,569 posts, read 7,742,991 times
We live in Monte Vista, about six blocks from SAC. We use the Olmos HEB almost exclusively. We're trying to branch out and shop other places to save some money but it really is convenient, less than a mile from us and open until 1am, and I think they have good customer service. So, we currently do 99% of our shopping there.

We don't eat out much, so I can't offer too much insight there, but the Cove is hugely popular (personally not a fan). My son likes Green (the vegetarian place) off of N. Flores.

If I were you I'd also consider Broadway/Mahnke park, south of Hildebrand. Then you'd have Central Market and AH right there, plus the Quarry, but the Quarry isn't far from our location either, really.

We lucked out and our apartment is decently priced for Monte Vista "proper" but I would just as gladly live across San Pedro in what I think is, technically, Alta Vista.

I think you'll enjoy any of these areas. I grew up on the NE side, near Rolling Oaks mall and all that and this area was the first place I moved to when I moved out, and I have been drawn to it ever since. It's my favorite part of SA.

Old 02-02-2013, 01:50 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,555,421 times
St Mary's and S. Presa run parallel, so depending on where you are it can be ok or less ok ;-). That's the commercial corridor so expect it to not be particularly quiet. Even in the not-so-ok end (closer you get to the tracks) it's still fine.

We are in Lavaca. I shop weekly at Central Market and until they changed a lot of their stock, did 95% of my shopping there. Now they've dropped a number of things I buy, so I'm having to go to other stores more often. I generally go to Whole Foods once every 2 months or so, and HEB was 1x/month at most, maybe 6 weeks but now may be more. Which HEB will depend upon where I am. I usually go to the one on SE Military and Goliad, even though McCreeless is closer. I loathe McCreeless with a passion. Lots of my neighbors go to Lincoln Heights HEB but that's too far for me. Generally I try to plan an HEB trip for when I'm in the area near one.

For restaurants - I hate driving, so we usually stick to those we can walk to: Feast, Friendly Spot (altho their food is less good now), Alamo St Eat Bar, Taco Haven, Monterrey. On special occasions, Bliss. Haven't tried Bite yet, Liberty Bar is ok but not too exciting. I used to love La Frite but less so now. Of course Azuca is always good. We actually don't go out *that* much though. We're usually with kids so go somewhere kid friendly.

If I'm going to drive, any of the restaurants at the Pearl are good, we also like Green (soon to be at the Pearl). Cove is ok - mainly if we're with kids, and Candlelight.

Old 02-02-2013, 04:27 PM

9,851 posts, read 13,696,195 times
Thanks for all the input, y'all! I was thinking that the Alamo Heights area and the SE Military HEB were going to be closest.

I looked at two apartments in these areas today and on my way home I checked one out at Lincoln Village off of Jackson Keller (I had passed it on the way to work and thought I'd try it). They have a cute little floorplan that was less than the ones I looked at today. but the layout made it feel much more homey than the others so I'm going to add this one to my list but haven't given up on my more "eclectic" options, either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio