Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 08:56 AM

9,850 posts, read 13,692,217 times

Advertisements

Last night I met up with a long time friend at her apartment in Alamo Heights for a birthday dinner get together. She and I have been friends since high school (we both grew up in San Antonio near 10/1604). When I headed to her apartment I knew I would be meeting some of her new AH friends who share her outlook on life, fitness, biking, cycling, tennis, etc. Whatever. I share that outlook on life too. I love me some Central Market, a run in the morning and a nice expensive microbrewed beer.

The group chatted about recent runs, riding their bikes to the riverwalk and all that snazzy Alamo Heights/Southtown stuff. After asking some get to know me questions, where I lived what I liked to do (I just started running, I live near La Cantera, I drove to AH, and I drove to San Pedro Park, home and here today), they just about died in shock. it was like "Eww, people live outside the loop and drive?" Get off your high horse. For real. One even said, "I bet you spend a lot of time at Fiesta Texas...ahahahaha." Yea. Every day..Did my friend suggest any other things to do? Not a darn thing. She just moved to the area a year ago..a year ago....and then i asked her if she knew the exact location of Fredrich park it's by Crownridge right?...oh that's in Boerne?...no not everything outside 1604 is Boerne...). . Oh and the biggest kicker for me was the later thought of "biking" to the Friendly Spot from 35/Broadway...on a Saturday and 9:30pm. Yeah. I'll get right on that one.

I mean geez. I'm sorry I can't afford to buy an expensive bike, am not asthmatic and can't run a 50k and don't go to Olmos Park every day to play tennis. How pretentious. This is why people don't like the area. The friend is like this, but I just assumed it was her personality...like that's her quirk. I am seriously reconsidering my eventually goal of wanting to move to the area.

I am all about being green, reducing my carbon foot print, recycling, being in shape, etc...but not at this expense. And I sure hope that these people realize they are missing a lot of great stuff if they limit themselves to things inside the loop. God forbid you have a meeting in Boerne or New Braunfels one day. Enjoy your ride out there.

Have y'all had any experiences with people in any area in the city that have just rubbed you the wrong way (aside from drunk people or ghetto people?)

Perhaps this is exclusive to the handful of people that I met last night, hopefully it is. I'd like to make that area a home once I can afford it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2011, 10:04 AM

1,316 posts, read 3,406,709 times
It is kind of human nature to seek out people who are like us, who are similiar to us in some way shape or form.

When you're in group settings sometimes, it's kind of natural for someone who is different moreso to be the "outcast."

As far as whether Alamo Heights people are like that, of course, some are (like any upscale exclusive suburb community). When you have some individuals who have a "sense of entitlement" about their ivy-league school that they attend, or their upscale suburb, or their country club, those who don't run in their circles are outsiders who don't belong.

Old 05-29-2011, 10:26 AM

437 posts, read 902,796 times
AH is AH; it's not for everybody.

There are many areas close to downtown where people are really cool, still drive, and make an effort to reduce their negative impact on the environment but realize there has to be a balance. Several of us have listed those areas on the forum before and I'm sure I'm leaving a few out, but you've got Lavaca, Alta Vista, Beacon Hill, Tobin Hill, Dignowity Hill, the Woodlawn Lake area, King William and Monte Vista (if you can afford those two)...Chaka will complete the list

I certainly wouldn't consider not moving based on an experience in AH. I moved to one of those neighborhoods from the Helotes area, and I love it here.

Old 05-29-2011, 10:40 AM

9,850 posts, read 13,692,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sshurgot View Post
AH is AH; it's not for everybody.

There are many areas close to downtown where people are really cool, still drive, and make an effort to reduce their negative impact on the environment but realize there has to be a balance. Several of us have listed those areas on the forum before and I'm sure I'm leaving a few out, but you've got Lavaca, Alta Vista, Beacon Hill, Tobin Hill, Dignowity Hill, the Woodlawn Lake area, King William and Monte Vista (if you can afford those two)...Chaka will complete the list

I certainly wouldn't consider not moving based on an experience in AH. I moved to one of those neighborhoods from the Helotes area, and I love it here.
I know the areas, I love the ambiance of the area...it was the people in the area that turned me off last night! It was beyond outrageous. It wasn't just the AH scene, I believe the Friendly Spot is in Southtown...but Chaka can correct me if I'm wrong.

I just always thought of the area as being very open minded and welcoming (which it was on my list of areas to move to), it just did not come off as being that way. Yes, like xsa mentioned, some do have an entitled personality, but this was just grotesque. I hope it was just the group was the exception to the rule.

Old 05-29-2011, 11:13 AM

5,717 posts, read 18,917,103 times
I have family that lives in AH. I avoid the area at all costs. No, really, I'll drive out of my way to avoid the area. I've never been in an area so infested with shallow people. Obviously, not everybody that lives there meets the description but the the attitude of the inhabitants is astounding. I never understood the attraction to the area. We always called it Termite Heights because of the wood foundations and the major infestation in the area. But as long as they don't migrate to where I live, I really don't care. But you have to wonder about what's in the water. I have friends in the construction industry that love the area. They can charge twice what they normally get for a job elsewhere and it seems like the more the dimwits pay for work the more work they want. I guess it gives the morons something to brag about.

Old 05-29-2011, 12:09 PM

5,642 posts, read 15,708,313 times
I'm interested in this thread because I'm considering a move to that area (one of a few other areas I'm looking at) to lessen my commute time. The attitude you expressed is typical of the progressive movement you'll find in towns around Seattle, Portland, Boston, etc. I wouldn't be too worried about it. They are just proud of their area, rightly-so. Look at the areas around Alamo Ranch, 151, etc and there's not much to be excited about. But, someone has to fill those homes out there. There's been way more than enough anti-AH threads here anyways.

Old 05-29-2011, 12:10 PM

944 posts, read 2,040,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
I have family that lives in AH. I avoid the area at all costs. No, really, I'll drive out of my way to avoid the area. I've never been in an area so infested with shallow people.
Oh sure you have. Most people are decently shallow, it's just that rich people have the money to make their shallow standards a reality for themselves, so it's much more noticeable. But don't fool yourself into thinking that if a goodly number of the people you know were suddenly rolling in dough, they wouldn't start displaying shallow/judgemental behavior of their own, because they would.

Old 05-29-2011, 12:30 PM

1,803 posts, read 2,623,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
Last night I met up with a long time friend at her apartment in Alamo Heights for a birthday dinner get together. She and I have been friends since high school (we both grew up in San Antonio near 10/1604). When I headed to her apartment I knew I would be meeting some of her new AH friends who share her outlook on life, fitness, biking, cycling, tennis, etc. Whatever. I share that outlook on life too. I love me some Central Market, a run in the morning and a nice expensive microbrewed beer.

The group chatted about recent runs, riding their bikes to the riverwalk and all that snazzy Alamo Heights/Southtown stuff. After asking some get to know me questions, where I lived what I liked to do (I just started running, I live near La Cantera, I drove to AH, and I drove to San Pedro Park, home and here today), they just about died in shock. it was like "Eww, people live outside the loop and drive?" Get off your high horse. For real. One even said, "I bet you spend a lot of time at Fiesta Texas...ahahahaha." Yea. Every day..Did my friend suggest any other things to do? Not a darn thing. She just moved to the area a year ago..a year ago....and then i asked her if she knew the exact location of Fredrich park it's by Crownridge right?...oh that's in Boerne?...no not everything outside 1604 is Boerne...). . Oh and the biggest kicker for me was the later thought of "biking" to the Friendly Spot from 35/Broadway...on a Saturday and 9:30pm. Yeah. I'll get right on that one.

I mean geez. I'm sorry I can't afford to buy an expensive bike, am not asthmatic and can't run a 50k and don't go to Olmos Park every day to play tennis. How pretentious. This is why people don't like the area.
if you dont like our neighborhood, dont come back. you are one of the VERY few who do not like alamo heights.

personally i love it. its an awesome place, ive yet to be hassled by the local PD despite being a lovely shade of mocha brown, the people are nice, central market (need to go there now that i think about it) is awesome and has tons of great foods... the only crap part right now is the construction.

Old 05-29-2011, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasNick View Post
I'm interested in this thread because I'm considering a move to that area (one of a few other areas I'm looking at) to lessen my commute time. The attitude you expressed is typical of the progressive movement you'll find in towns around Seattle, Portland, Boston, etc. I wouldn't be too worried about it. They are just proud of their area, rightly-so. Look at the areas around Alamo Ranch, 151, etc and there's not much to be excited about. But, someone has to fill those homes out there. There's been way more than enough anti-AH threads here anyways.
jealousy is a b*tch.

hope you move out here, its great and we need more like minded people out here

Old 05-29-2011, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backliteyes View Post
Oh sure you have. Most people are decently shallow, it's just that rich people have the money to make their shallow standards a reality for themselves, so it's much more noticeable. But don't fool yourself into thinking that if a goodly number of the people you know were suddenly rolling in dough, they wouldn't start displaying shallow/judgemental behavior of their own, because they would.
you do realize that when your friend(s) are suddenly 'rolling in the dough', that their standards WILL go up and its awkward to socialize with friends who are far below the means that you are?

i mean would you want to hang around your rich friend who wants for nothing, while you want for just the basics (just giving an example)?

whats with all the 'i hate rich people' crap lately. they made their way in life, so just deal with it and stop with the jealousy/hatred comments already.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio