Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 05:44 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,559,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeet09 View Post
Thank you!
I know my way around San Antonio quite well for a local...even areas I do not live in. I don't ever want to feel as if I live in a bubble and just know the surrounding areas of my home. I like to just explore areas outside of my immediate area. I find it a bummer when I meet someone who is a local and doesn't know what _____ (just an example...can be anything) is. Someone doesn't have to go there but at least know it is and an estimate of its location. With the internet, it is so easy to find information.
Really? It's so important to know the names and locations of chain restaurants in town? Wow! I never realized how important they were.

When I come to a new city I steep myself in the city's history and culture. I learn everything I can about the place, I explore, I learn about it's past, I get involved in it's present and future. I learn about what makes it different from other places. I also learn about those things that are important to me - where to hike/bike/swim/see art/hear music etc. I don't go out of my way, however, to find all the fast food/chain restaurant locations that I can find in any other city if I never intend to go to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2011, 05:46 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,127,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
Really? It's so important to know the names and locations of chain restaurants in town? Wow! I never realized how important they were.

When I come to a new city I steep myself in the city's history and culture. I learn everything I can about the place, I explore, I learn about it's past, I get involved in it's present and future. I learn about what makes it different from other places. I also learn about those things that are important to me - where to hike/bike/swim/see art/hear music etc. I don't go out of my way, however, to find all the fast food/chain restaurant locations that I can find in any other city if I never intend to go to them.
I didn't mention anything about chain restaurants; I didn't mention it in my post. To be a little bit more clear, it can be any location. That is why I had a fill in the blank so it can be left up to the reading audience whatever they would like it to be.
Example: I don't live near Downtown but I know many of the establishments there and can easily give information or meet someone there for an event. I won't know as much detail as someone who does live in the area but I can get around knowing what I do know and go from there.

Old 05-29-2011, 06:15 PM

1,220 posts, read 2,683,229 times
I love Alamo Heights, don't get me wrong. I have plenty family there. Scenario: My mother and I at the Flambeau parade giggling at the '90ers in the seats beside us. The women came, of course in their colorful Talbots attire, placed fiesta type bows marking their seats, wiping down the chairs. The men show up with margaritas and pour them out of the plastic cups into decorative margarita glasses complete with ribbons.

gotta love 'em!

Old 05-29-2011, 06:20 PM

Quote:
I didn't mention anything about chain restaurants; I didn't mention it in my post.
The post you were responding to did. She complained that someone was so shallow they didn't know where Cheddars was, like somehow that was a symbol of SA. Maybe it is....

Quote:
To be a little bit more clear, it can be any location. That is why I had a fill in the blank so it can be left up to the reading audience whatever they would like it to be.
San Antonio covers more than 400 square miles. Are you really suggesting that you know every sq mile? You know every store, every restaurant, every park, every street in 400 sq mi? I'd expect a taxi driver to, but not most normal residents. I know a large portion of the city due to my work (and curiousity, and friends all over),probably more than most locals, but there are still many communities in that 400 sq mi I am not at all familiar with after 7 yrs in the city, and I hardly think that means I live in a bubble.

Now, if you're talking about not knowing where the Alamo is, or some of the missions, then I'd say you're clueless. But a chain restaurant (I looked it up...now I know what Cheddars is)? Or _any_ kind of chain or really anything that is of no interest whatsoever to the individual? Why should someone be interested in knowing where a Ross store is if they don't shop there or if they already have 3 others easy to get to? Or whatever else it is one resident decides is important to them (in the case of the OP, Cheddars)? I know where a lot of parks are, but by no means do I know *all* parks in San Antonio. I don't expect everyone in the city to know where my favourite taco place is, just because I go to it often.There are a million taco places in town, why should you know mine? I don't even expect most people to know most downtown/Southtown establishments unless they live in the area or visit often. Why should they, if the places they like are elsewhere? Heck, I don't even expect outer loopers to know what Southtown is (or Lavaca, King William, So Flo).

Can't tell you how many people have a blank look when you say something about First Friday. First Friday what? Or now they've heard of it because of the bad press last year and say "isn't that where the gangs are roaming the streets?" If you've no interest in local artists, I wouldn't expect you to be familiar with First Friday.

For the OP, it sounds like you were probably a bit sensitive about your "outer loop" status, and it sounds like your friends are probably a bit obnoxious (at least the way you present it). If you don't want to live in AH, don't. If you don't want to move inside the loop, don't. It's not for everyone, but please don't take your ONE experience with a very small group of people as definitive of life inside the loop.

Old 05-29-2011, 06:41 PM

9,853 posts, read 13,708,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
The post you were responding to did. She complained that someone was so shallow they didn't know where Cheddars was, like somehow that was a symbol of SA. Maybe it is....
I kind of minced my words and fixed my "cheddars" remark with this post..hopefully this clarifies it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
I didn't mean to pick out Cheddars. I meant it to be any number of random places in San Antonio, not just food. Parks, shops, schools, non-profits, etc. For me, I rather pride myself on someone being able to mention some random place on the south, east or even westside (and of course north) and know where it is and be able to place it without looking it up on google...even if it isn't central to the city's history. The world does not revolve around me, so I try to know what's going on around me...even if it doesn't involve me.
and to follow-up...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka
Now, if you're talking about not knowing where the Alamo is, or some of the missions, then I'd say you're clueless. But a chain restaurant (I looked it up...now I know what Cheddars is)? Or _any_ kind of chain or really anything that is of no interest whatsoever to the individual? Why should someone be interested in knowing where a Ross store is if they don't shop there or if they already have 3 others easy to get to? Or whatever else it is one resident decides is important to them (in the case of the OP, Cheddars)? I know where a lot of parks are, but by no means do I know *all* parks in San Antonio. I don't expect everyone in the city to know where my favourite taco place is, just because I go to it often.There are a million taco places in town, why should you know mine? I don't even expect most people to know most downtown/Southtown establishments unless they live in the area or visit often. Why should they, if the places they like are elsewhere? Heck, I don't even expect outer loopers to know what Southtown is (or Lavaca, King William, So Flo).
This is the kind of geography I am talking about. As a long time San Antonio resident, I would hope to know where these places are and be able to place them on a map or generally know where they are because it is my hometown. Not because I am there are all the time or because it is of general interest, but because it is where I live. It's the same as I would hope that you would know, generally, where La Cantera or the Forum is. Just point to it, or say "Oh yeah...that's far away..." not a "Oh...that's near New Braunfels? I don't go there because it's outside the loop...." I don't expect turn by urn directions, but general awareness would be nice. I don't live in a bubble, I don't like to be around people that do live in bubbles. It seems many inner loopers do live in a bubble.

Old 05-29-2011, 06:50 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,127,505 times
Quote:
As a long time San Antonio resident, I would hope to know where these places are and be able to place them on a map or generally know where they are because it is my hometown. Not because I am there are all the time or because it is of general interest, but because it is where I live. I don't expect turn by turn directions, but general awareness would be nice.
Well said!

Old 05-29-2011, 06:55 PM

Quote:
I kind of minced my words and fixed my "cheddars" remark with this post..hopefully this clarifies it...

This is the kind of geography I am talking about. As a long time San Antonio resident, I would hope to know where these places are and be able to place them on a map or generally know where they are because it is my hometown. Not because I am there are all the time or because it is of general interest, but because it is where I live. It's the same as I would hope that you would know, generally, where La Cantera or the Forum is. Just point to it, or say "Oh yeah...that's far away..." not a "Oh...that's near New Braunfels? I don't go there because it's outside the loop...." I don't expect turn by urn directions, but general awareness would be nice. I don't live in a bubble, I don't like to be around people that do live in bubbles. It seems many inner loopers do live in a bubble.
Many inner loopers - ie the people at the gathering you were at = many? Watch those generalizations.

No, I don't expect everyone who lives in San Antonio to know every neighborhood. I think that's asking a lot. I do know La Cantera and the Forum, have even been to each a couple of times, and I can't say I know anyone who *doesn't* know where they are more or less, but I wouldn't be shocked. Why is it so important to know where a bunch of chain shops are, shops that for the most part, can be found anywhere in the city? La Cantera is different, more shops that aren't found elsewhere, and was built recently, so I assume more have heard of it, but I think it's a bit sad that a person's character is determined by which chain shops they know or don't know.

Old 05-29-2011, 07:11 PM

3,770 posts, read 8,295,524 times
I have no idea what this La Cantera is many speak of.

Old 05-29-2011, 07:24 PM

2,046 posts, read 5,589,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsa210tx View Post
It is kind of human nature to seek out people who are like us, who are similiar to us in some way shape or form.

When you're in group settings sometimes, it's kind of natural for someone who is different moreso to be the "outcast."

As far as whether Alamo Heights people are like that, of course, some are (like any upscale exclusive suburb community). When you have some individuals who have a "sense of entitlement" about their ivy-league school that they attend, or their upscale suburb, or their country club, those who don't run in their circles are outsiders who don't belong.
I hope it is not natural for someone to be the outcast! What makes someone the outcast! PM me, of course I am older but our group is people of all ages. We accept everyone for who they are. We laugh, love and have a great time! All of us, no outcasts anywhere. I do not believe everyone in that area is like what you described. I do suggest though that you find some people who welcome everyone as an equal!

Old 05-29-2011, 07:29 PM

2,046 posts, read 5,589,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DexterCat View Post
you do realize that when your friend(s) are suddenly 'rolling in the dough', that their standards WILL go up and its awkward to socialize with friends who are far below the means that you are?

i mean would you want to hang around your rich friend who wants for nothing, while you want for just the basics (just giving an example)?

whats with all the 'i hate rich people' crap lately. they made their way in life, so just deal with it and stop with the jealousy/hatred comments already.

Dexter, I beg to differ. I have many friends who are well to do, I am not. We are good friends, we travel and have a good time together. The one thing they are not is shallow. I believe once people are secure with who they are, they accept everyone. Its not about what you have in ways of finances but what a good person you are. I am happy to say, I am a very good person and so are those I associate with - regardless of income.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio