Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 03:29 PM

5,642 posts, read 15,716,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
and some people don't even know where Cheddars is. Come on.
I don't know where Cheddars is and I'm glad i don't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2011, 03:34 PM

254 posts, read 548,494 times
I don't know how it is now...but when I worked way back in the day @ original Stone Werks-when it first opened; I never met so many pricks in my life.

And those cokehead managers/owner too-

Old 05-29-2011, 03:59 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,938,069 times
Quote:
Oh sure you have. Most people are decently shallow, it's just that rich people have the money to make their shallow standards a reality for themselves,
Yepper, they are within walking distance of the old Alamo Heights Lumber and Hardware. They've lived there most of their life. They are in their late 70's now and they have the same opinion as I do- the flakes are moving in. I learned many years ago at the hand of a Texas legend I was fortunate enough to meet, Hondo Crouch, that money means nothing but a number on a sheet of paper. See, I was going down the hiway and there was an old pickup on the side of the road with the hood up. I saw an elderly, raggedy man walking down the road so I pulled over and asked if he needed a ride. He got in and we passed pleasantries while he was giving me directions to his house. As we pulled up a lady in an apron came running out of the huge home on this ranch holloring Mr Crouch, Mr Crouch! I asked if he was THE Hondo Crouch and he said yes. I asked him why on earth a man of his stature was wearing raggedy clothes and driving an old truck. His words of wisdom were, "Son, I can afford to dress and drive anything I want". It does not mean squat if you live in the Dominion or Alamo Heights, or where ever. there are those that have the money and those that want everybody to THINK they have the money- they owe for everything and own nothing. Any dimwit with a hairs worth of credit can lease a Mercedes so the cars are pretty good indicator of wealth- yeah, right. My family settled this part of Texas many years ago, long before there was va car, long before a telephone. Our family has done quite good at making the money. So I find it laughable that the dimwits in Heights think they are above me or anybody. We are all created equal, and here's a new one for you, we'll all die equal.

To the poster looking for a closer commute to, I assume, downtown, you might want to look at the Broadway Lofts, 1221 Broadway. They are about 2 weeks from opening up the first phase and you could easily commute by bicycle if you had the desire. All they need to do is finish the the garage floor and landscaping. Most of the units are at final punch in the first phase. They are exceptionally nice and the buildings are clad in Autoclaved Aerorated Concrete so the energy bill should be extremely low.

Old 05-29-2011, 04:23 PM

9,853 posts, read 13,708,956 times
I didn't mean to pick out Cheddars. I meant it to be any number of random places in San Antonio, not just food. Parks, shops, schools, non-profits, etc. For me, I rather pride myself on someone being able to mention some random place on the south, east or even westside (and of course north) and know where it is and be able to place it without looking it up on google...even if it isn't central to the city's history. The world does not revolve around me, so I try to know what's going on around me...even if it doesn't involve me.

The self involved nature of those that encountered yesterday just seemed counter intuitive to how I've perceived the open nature of the area in the past. I'm not an AH, Southtown, Lavaca, King William, etc, inside the loop hater by any means. It was just one experience that I was rather shocked by.

Old 05-29-2011, 04:29 PM

693 posts, read 1,502,946 times
I don't get the appeal of living in AH or the surrounding areas. It cost too many money to live there. I have no desire to live inside the loop because I can get everything I need outside 410. If I want to go to downtown or somewhere inside the loop I can drive to it in 20 mins. or less without traffic. If I had kids they could get just as good of an education at NEISD or NISD.

What do y'all think about outside loop 410 but inside 1604? Is that considered anywhere USA to most of you? The same could be said about being inside the loop too. I can go to any city and find the same old style expensive houses like AH. Most big cities have run down areas like we do to. What's so special about being inside 410?

Old 05-29-2011, 04:39 PM

2,649 posts, read 7,443,479 times
Regarding schools there are large portions of neisd that are inside of 410 just as there is a portion of AHISD that is outside 410. Real estate price aren't out of line for what you get back in city services in the tri cities.

Old 05-29-2011, 04:43 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,559,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txmusicgal View Post
What do y'all think about outside loop 410 but inside 1604? Is that considered anywhere USA to most of you?
Some of it is quite interesting with diverse housing stock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by txmusicgal View Post
The same could be said about being inside the loop too. I can go to any city and find the same old style expensive houses like AH. Most big cities have run down areas like we do to. What's so special about being inside 410?
I choose to live in Southtown because I like to walk to music venues, *independent* restaurants/bars/hangouts, art galleries, shops. I like being able to do lots of interesting things without getting in my car. I like to have easy access to what makes San Antonio, San Antonio - downtown landmarks. I like the mix of houses. I like having a purple house next to a pink house. I like our neighborhood elementary school and that it's just a short walk away (as opposed to across major roadways ).

AH is nice but more suburban than I'd like.

Old 05-29-2011, 05:26 PM

1,316 posts, read 3,408,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
I learned many years ago at the hand of a Texas legend I was fortunate enough to meet, Hondo Crouch, that money means nothing but a number on a sheet of paper.

See, I was going down the hiway and there was an old pickup on the side of the road with the hood up. I saw an elderly, raggedy man walking down the road so I pulled over and asked if he needed a ride.

He got in and we passed pleasantries while he was giving me directions to his house. As we pulled up a lady in an apron came running out of the huge home on this ranch holloring Mr Crouch, Mr Crouch! I asked if he was THE Hondo Crouch and he said yes.

I asked him why on earth a man of his stature was wearing raggedy clothes and driving an old truck. His words of wisdom were, "Son, I can afford to dress and drive anything I want."
Wonderful story and that man is/was very wise indeed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
It does not mean squat if you live in the Dominion or Alamo Heights, or where ever. there are those that have the money and those that want everybody to THINK they have the money- they owe for everything and own nothing.

Any dimwit with a hairs worth of credit can lease a Mercedes so the cars are pretty good indicator of wealth- yeah, right. My family settled this part of Texas many years ago, long before there was va car, long before a telephone.

Our family has done quite good at making the money. So I find it laughable that the dimwits in Heights think they are above me or anybody. We are all created equal, and here's a new one for you, we'll all die equal.
Right on! In my case, I don't have a lot of money compared to most, but I've lead a pretty happy life. Of course, it would have been nice to have bank like some of the lucky people out there, but when I die, as you say, none of that money (that I would have had) is comin' with me. That's what some people fail to learn their whole life.

I'll admit. I have had opportunities to make bank but, as cliche as it sounds, my family meant more to me than killing myself working myself to death to make money. I spent my life since college with my nieces, nephews, my Dad and sister who mean the world to me and who all needed me to be there for them for many various and personal reasons throughout these years. To be true, I am starting to get to the point where they are all just about teenagers now and my sister is doing better and my Dad is doing well.

So since that is coming along just fine, I think maybe I'll start getting more entrepreneurial and kick some butt and make more money than what I am making now. Where I am working, there is this sweetest nicest lady who is a director. She makes about 90,000 a year. I built a good rapport with her so far and I am hoping one day to eventually move up in the company somehow. It will probably take a lot of time but I think I am at the point in my life where I need to take advantage of opportunities now that I can.

There is this billboard two blocks from where I live on the St Mary's Street Strip and it reads: "Self Worth Beats Net Worth."

It made me smile when I first read it.

Last edited by xsa210tx; 05-29-2011 at 05:37 PM..

Old 05-29-2011, 05:31 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,127,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
For me, I rather pride myself on someone being able to mention some random place on the south, east or even westside (and of course north) and know where it is and be able to place it without looking it up on google...even if it isn't central to the city's history. The world does not revolve around me, so I try to know what's going on around me...even if it doesn't involve me.
Thank you!
I know my way around San Antonio quite well for a local...even areas I do not live in. I don't ever want to feel as if I live in a bubble and just know the surrounding areas of my home. I like to just explore areas outside of my immediate area. I find it a bummer when I meet someone who is a local and doesn't know what _____ (just an example...can be anything) is. Someone doesn't have to go there but at least know it is and an estimate of its location. With the internet, it is so easy to find information.

Old 05-29-2011, 05:31 PM

782 posts, read 1,109,470 times
Much like the poster with the story about Hondo Crouch, I have my story too. Way long time ago I worked at the Pizza Hut on Austin Hiway. I was young and barely making it. I had a table of 5 people..a mom and dad and grand parents..and a child that had lost some teeth and had made all "A"s on her report card. While they were waiting for their food the Grand parents started giving this little girl $100.00 dollar bills. For her teeth and her report card...These folks weren't making a big deal out of I just saw it because I was bringing drinks and stuff. Their food came...and they ate and the grandmother brought the dirty plates to the counter...I was so embarressed and apologised for not being attentive and the Lady said" Honey don't worry about us...we are having a ball with our grandbaby isn't she pretty?"..I agreed and said I wished I had Grandparents like you...and she said Well, they are young and struggling right now..that money is for her college..if my Daddy thought I was just giving them money he would be spinning in his grave!!!! Don't you know we all put our pants on the same way?? And she laughed....You take care honey and don't forget how you put your pants on!!
Back in the day they used to drives their Jags and Bentleys up and down Broadway...Don't know what they drive now but I do know how they put their pants on!
Forward to today...I work in Scottsdale, Arizona. Same situation..lots of money old and new...And you can tell who is who.
Another analogy I heard about new money versus old money...old money..they have so much they stopped counting a long time ago...new money they're still counting and have to tell everybody about it so they don't lose track. But really people with old money prolly know where every dime is...thats why they still have it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio