Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 11:01 AM

1,803 posts, read 2,625,335 times

Advertisements

a volvo. ironically, they seem to be pretty popular in this neighborhood. ive seen some of the newer wagons and am really tempted to trade up to one
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2011, 11:44 AM

824 posts, read 1,816,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
Last night I met up with a long time friend at her apartment in Alamo Heights for a birthday dinner get together. She and I have been friends since high school (we both grew up in San Antonio near 10/1604). When I headed to her apartment I knew I would be meeting some of her new AH friends who share her outlook on life, fitness, biking, cycling, tennis, etc. Whatever. I share that outlook on life too. I love me some Central Market, a run in the morning and a nice expensive microbrewed beer.

The group chatted about recent runs, riding their bikes to the riverwalk and all that snazzy Alamo Heights/Southtown stuff. After asking some get to know me questions, where I lived what I liked to do (I just started running, I live near La Cantera, I drove to AH, and I drove to San Pedro Park, home and here today), they just about died in shock. it was like "Eww, people live outside the loop and drive?" Get off your high horse. For real. One even said, "I bet you spend a lot of time at Fiesta Texas...ahahahaha." Yea. Every day..Did my friend suggest any other things to do? Not a darn thing. She just moved to the area a year ago..a year ago....and then i asked her if she knew the exact location of Fredrich park it's by Crownridge right?...oh that's in Boerne?...no not everything outside 1604 is Boerne...). . Oh and the biggest kicker for me was the later thought of "biking" to the Friendly Spot from 35/Broadway...on a Saturday and 9:30pm. Yeah. I'll get right on that one.

I mean geez. I'm sorry I can't afford to buy an expensive bike, am not asthmatic and can't run a 50k and don't go to Olmos Park every day to play tennis. How pretentious. This is why people don't like the area. The friend is like this, but I just assumed it was her personality...like that's her quirk. I am seriously reconsidering my eventually goal of wanting to move to the area.

I am all about being green, reducing my carbon foot print, recycling, being in shape, etc...but not at this expense. And I sure hope that these people realize they are missing a lot of great stuff if they limit themselves to things inside the loop. God forbid you have a meeting in Boerne or New Braunfels one day. Enjoy your ride out there.

Have y'all had any experiences with people in any area in the city that have just rubbed you the wrong way (aside from drunk people or ghetto people?)

Perhaps this is exclusive to the handful of people that I met last night, hopefully it is. I'd like to make that area a home once I can afford it.
I'm so sad to have missed this, um, conversation. Clearly, though, Chaka wins.

You were treated quite rudely by your friend's friends. That sounds like an issue with those people. And, as we all know, there are rude people in all parts of SA, and in all corners of the world. That sort of thing isn't representative of the people I surround myself with.

You should move into San Antonio if you value classical architecture over cheap housing. If you value independent restaurants/retail over shopping centers/malls filled with the predictable mix of national chains. If you value beautiful public spaces filled with history over lots of free parking, streets, and highways.

I get that it's not for everyone. And I also get that the generally sorry state of SAISD is a big reason to not live in-town.

But the reason that folks who live inside the loop don't generally care about stuff outside the loop is because it's all generic, mass-produced stuff. There's very little worth knowing about, because you can find the same chain stores, soulless shopping centers, billboard-lined highways, and mass-produced McSubdivisions anywhere in the USA. Your Cheddar's example actually demonstrated the point beautifully.

You can't find public spaces like the Riverwalk, or Brackenridge Park, or Main Plaza, anywhere else. You can't find museums like the McNay, or ArtPace anywhere else. You can't find neighborhoods like King William, or Monte Vista, or Alamo Heights anywhere else. These places, and their history, are unique to SA. These are the things that make cities special. Not cheap housing, and not abundant free parking.

Old 06-01-2011, 11:47 AM

487 posts, read 992,352 times
While living in a particular place or driving a particular car MAY tell something about what you HAVE(and in many cases it doesn't) it definitely doesn't say anything about who you ARE.

For example, it seems like Chaka and I share a lot of things in common (passion for education, love for the arts, appreciation for diversity and friends of many walks of life) we chose (for different reasons) to live in opposites sides in the spectrum of options in SA. He lives Downtown and walks everywhere and I live outside the 1604 loop on the north side and have to drive everywhere. Both of us seem pretty happy with our decisions. Is he better than me? perhaps, but not because he lives Downtown. I'm sure that if we concide in a party in a random place in town we would be able to have a very pleasant conversation and realize how much we share.

It's sad that some people thinks that because they live in certain part of town or drive a particular car they are better than others. That's just feels like "compensating" for what they DON'T have.

Old 06-01-2011, 10:59 PM

693 posts, read 1,502,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvlpr View Post
You can't find neighborhoods like King William, or Monte Vista, or Alamo Heights anywhere else. These places, and their history, are unique to SA. These are the things that make cities special. Not cheap housing, and not abundant free parking.

But the reason that folks who live inside the loop don't generally care about stuff outside the loop is because it's all generic, mass-produced stuff. There's very little worth knowing about, because you can find the same chain stores, soulless shopping centers, billboard-lined highways, and mass-produced McSubdivisions anywhere in the USA. Your Cheddar's example actually demonstrated the point beautifully.
The thing is you can go to other cities find houses just like the ones in Alamo Heights, Monte Vista, and King William. Big old style architectural houses are not exclusive to SA. It makes since that most of the museums and touristy things are in downtown SA not out past Loop 410.

Not all of the areas outside loop 410 are mass-produced generic suburban type places. I can inside loop 410 to find strip malls, chain stores, and shopping centers. Look at the Quarry Market it has tons of chain stores and restaurants, that shopping center on I-10 & Vance Jackson, and Crossroads Mall. Lets not forget Rivercenter Mall that has lots of mass-produce stuff in it in. Hell the Riverwalk even has chain restaurants in it and that's sad. You can find plenty of fast food places in and around the downtown area. Also on the southside you have South Park Mall and some shopping centers off 37 and SE Military all inside Loop 410. We can't forget the east, west, and ne sides either because they have some strip malls and shopping centers with of generic crap all inside the loop.

Old 06-02-2011, 04:42 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,798,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasNick View Post
I don't know where Cheddars is and I'm glad i don't.
7403 Northwest Loop 410
San Antonio, TX 78245

Get Directions
(210) 522-0011

go ahead, try and un-read that!

Old 06-02-2011, 09:26 AM

841 posts, read 1,748,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txmusicgal View Post
The thing is you can go to other cities find houses just like the ones in Alamo Heights, Monte Vista, and King William. Big old style architectural houses are not exclusive to SA. It makes since that most of the museums and touristy things are in downtown SA not out past Loop 410.

Except that they aren't exactly the same (as compared to those seen in modern subdivisions). The stylistic language may be similar, but they are still unique. Even so, if you look at the bungalows in Lavaca, one of the prevalent styles is actually called "Texas Victorian". You won't find them in California, New York, etc.

Regardless of the exterior appearance, look at the actual floor plans themselves. In my neighborhood (streets run east-west), most of the homes on the south side of the street have porches and bedrooms in the back, whereas the homes on the north side have porches and bedrooms in the front. Why? Because here in South Texas, the summer breeze comes from the southeast. Kitchens are usually located in the northwest corner of the house. Again so that the heat and odors can be carried out of the house by natural air currents. The older homes were designed to take advantage of the inherent site conditions of this particular region of the world. New neighborhoods usually (there are a FEW exceptions) just take "plan A" and plop it on a lot and add "elevation B1" to differentiate it - no thought about the environment in which it is placed. To me, that is a BIG difference.

Old 06-02-2011, 09:48 AM

2,155 posts, read 4,583,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasGuy22 View Post
I completely agree. I am a recent transplant who has lived in affluent areas on the west coast, the attitudes that some people have according to this thread from one person's experience would make me laugh. San Antonio is a laid back city.

If you think your hot stuff then you should at least move to the larger cities in TX and see how you compare (nothing against SA). If you really really think your hot stuff them move to CA or NYC and see how you do. Certain attitudes do not belong in this city.
I agree Alamo Heights uppityness sounds funny when you think about rich Upper Eastside residents, but there is always going to be an exclusive or snobby area of any city or town. Some people just want that.

Old 06-02-2011, 11:06 AM

4,307 posts, read 9,559,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montirob View Post
Except that they aren't exactly the same (as compared to those seen in modern subdivisions). The stylistic language may be similar, but they are still unique. Even so, if you look at the bungalows in Lavaca, one of the prevalent styles is actually called "Texas Victorian". You won't find them in California, New York, etc.

Regardless of the exterior appearance, look at the actual floor plans themselves. In my neighborhood (streets run east-west), most of the homes on the south side of the street have porches and bedrooms in the back, whereas the homes on the north side have porches and bedrooms in the front. Why? Because here in South Texas, the summer breeze comes from the southeast. Kitchens are usually located in the northwest corner of the house. Again so that the heat and odors can be carried out of the house by natural air currents. The older homes were designed to take advantage of the inherent site conditions of this particular region of the world. New neighborhoods usually (there are a FEW exceptions) just take "plan A" and plop it on a lot and add "elevation B1" to differentiate it - no thought about the environment in which it is placed. To me, that is a BIG difference.
Precisely!

And while inside 410 encompasses a huge area, what we're really talking about are the older/historic neighborhoods. Not every city has a La Frite/Friendly Spot/Rosarios/Azuca/Blue Star/Guenther House/El Sol/Taco Haven/Say Si/assorted other galleries. They may have similar restaurants/shops (they may have much better places too), but they don't have these ones. Alas, we are getting a Subway in Southtown

Personally, I prefer not to have chains at all in the urban core and am bothered by all the chains on the RW, but as it's primary purpose seems to be for tourists, chains are what survive there (unfortunately, IMO, but oh well).

Living in the urban core is a lifestyle choice. Not for everyone. Alamo Heights is in the loop but it's suburban. The OP is specifically relating *one* experience in AH, so while some elements may be applicable, for the most part, it's hardly the ultimate experience for all of the life in the inner loop and it's pretty arrogant to present it as such.

Old 06-02-2011, 11:14 AM

905 posts, read 1,632,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovely95 View Post
I agree Alamo Heights uppityness sounds funny when you think about rich Upper Eastside residents, but there is always going to be an exclusive or snobby area of any city or town. Some people just want that.
Ok! My two cents worth here...

Snobbish people flourish in any subdivision. Dominion, A.H., Stone Oak, etc...

I was born and raised in A.H. area, I live in the area, many of my old friends that I keep in contact with as well are from the area, my children go to Cambridge and A.H. Jr school. We are all quiet, drive unassuming vehicles, all do well financially, don't flaunt, but the ones who act snobbish and think that anyone outside A.H. area are losers are typically the new comers into the district!!
And for the record, most of the newbies into the district arn't talked to much by the oldtimers specifiically because the newbies are the ones giving A.H. a bad rap, especially the ones who live in apartment complexes in the district!!
So, message to the newbies in A.H., please stop bragging that you live in A.H. district and stop the attitude... It's a nice area, welcome to the area but be respectful.. Simple....

Old 06-02-2011, 11:32 AM

2,155 posts, read 4,583,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggeorgie View Post
Ok! My two cents worth here...

Snobbish people flourish in any subdivision. Dominion, A.H., Stone Oak, etc...

I was born and raised in A.H. area, I live in the area, many of my old friends that I keep in contact with as well are from the area, my children go to Cambridge and A.H. Jr school. We are all quiet, drive unassuming vehicles, all do well financially, don't flaunt, but the ones who act snobbish and think that anyone outside A.H. area are losers are typically the new comers into the district!!
And for the record, most of the newbies into the district arn't talked to much by the oldtimers specifiically because the newbies are the ones giving A.H. a bad rap, especially the ones who live in apartment complexes in the district!!
So, message to the newbies in A.H., please stop bragging that you live in A.H. district and stop the attitude... It's a nice area, welcome to the area but be respectful.. Simple....
The snobbish attitude is certainly not confined to Alamo Heights and there are down to earth people even in those areas. In general though, there will always be the more pretentious areas in every city or town. What's most important is that you are happy where you are and, like you said, are respectful to others, whether you live in Alamo Heights or anywhere outside the loop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio