Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2013, 09:13 AM

12 posts, read 18,202 times

Advertisements

Hi San Antonio. So here is my dilemma.

I am 23 years old, without medical insurance, and I've been experiencing chronic lower back pain since February of 2012. Since that time, it has continually gotten worse and worse, until now when its so painful, I'm unable to bring myself up from a sitting or lying position without assistance. I am very uncomfortable, in a severe amount of pain, and I need to get my back looked at by someone who will actually care.

I've been to the ER three times for this. First time, the doctor sent me home with a few painkillers saying it must be muscles. Second time, they did an ultrasound, found nothing, sent me home with ibuprofen. Third time, they simply sent me home. Every referral I've gotten (which was my main reason for the ER visits) requires me to pay up front for each visit, up to $300, each time, because I don't have insurance.

I can't even lie down to go to sleep without crying because of the agony I'm in. Sitting makes it worse. Twisting, bending, etc.

Are there any back doctors in San Antonio who actually care more about the patient than getting their paycheck? I can't live another day with this pain.

Also, i am unemployed, as I am not physically able to do basically anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2013, 09:51 AM

7,130 posts, read 11,838,269 times
Have you tried University Hospital?

Old 03-29-2013, 10:09 AM

24 posts, read 52,144 times
try communicare san antonio, they have a few clinics in san antonio. they charge very good prices for uninsured. great place, good staff

Old 03-29-2013, 10:16 AM

61,726 posts, read 87,147,355 times
Try Care Link.
How to Enroll in CareLink | University Health System, San Antonio, TX

Old 03-29-2013, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
Have you tried University Hospital?
University is where I went for the third and final ER visit, when they sent me home with nothing, not even a referral.

Old 03-29-2013, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Try Care Link.
[url=http://www.universityhealthsystem.com/what-is-carelink/how-to-enroll-in-carelink]How to Enroll in CareLink | University Health System, San Antonio, TX[/url]
I've tried CareLink as well. I was told that I didn't qualify for their program because I'm a dependant. I moved back in with my father when I couldn't work anymore. Due to that, I also don't qualify for Medicaid, and my father would need a plan for me to be covered, however, my father makes too much money to qualify for Medicaid, but not enough money to afford insurance.

Old 03-29-2013, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridado2013 View Post
try communicare san antonio, they have a few clinics in san antonio. they charge very good prices for uninsured. great place, good staff
I'll look into this and reply back with my results on getting in.

Old 03-29-2013, 10:28 AM

1,376 posts, read 1,367,679 times
What a spot to be in. Just go back to University hospital and tell them you need help pretty bad.

Old 03-29-2013, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeGer View Post
What a spot to be in. Just go back to University hospital and tell them you need help pretty bad.
I did. That's why they just discharged me and sent me home with nothing. They thought I was after pain killers. I dont need anything to mask the pain, because that wont fix the problem. I need an xray and an mri, but the ER doesn't perform those diagnostics, according to what the resident doctor told me at University.

As far as CommuniCare SA, they won't even give out referrals to orthopedic clinics, nor do xrays, nor do mris.

Ugh. I feel like there's this huge brick wall around our healthcare system that I'm unable to get around. I have to have money to get insurance so I can see a doctor, but I can't get money without a job, and i can't work with my back the way it is. I don't qualify for disability because I need to have physical proof of doctor visits and diagnosis, which I cant get without seeing a doctor... which requires money... Which requires a job... Etc.

I'm stuck in a loop.

Old 03-29-2013, 11:02 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,878,067 times
Try looking for a sobadora who is familiar with curanderismo.

Worth a try but only if you believe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
View detailed profiles of: