Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2013, 03:55 PM

169 posts, read 391,884 times

Advertisements

Wife and I just returned to California after spending four days (Tues-Fri) exploring San Antonio for our upcoming move. We had a great time driving around the various neighborhoods and we have decided with 100% certainty that we are making an excellent choice in relocating there.

A few notes from our trip:

1) San Antonians are REALLY friendly and genuine! From servers to grocery clerks to gas station attendants to other drivers on the road, we were pleasantly surprised at how nice and courteous everyone is.

2) Your "traffic" problems are nowhere near as bad as you think they are. I guess it's all in one's perception, but we are truly looking forward to commuting in your city as opposed to the Bay Area mess we currently suffer through. And yes, we drove during commute hours both near 281/1604 and the corridor between Alamo Ranch and I-10. Since we were staying in Fair Oaks Ranch with family, we also travelled on I-10 each morning and evening during commute hours and only had one little snarl (disabled big rig clogging things up one evening).

3) Although we had pretty much convinced ourselves (before our trip, based on CD feedback and a lot of internet research) that Stone Oak would be our target area, we have since decided that Alamo Ranch is more to our liking. Of course, there were things we loved about both areas, but in the end I think we both just felt more drawn to AR. (And no...it's not because of the Del Taco! Although that is a huge plus LOL). I guess it just proves that the internet can't tell you everything...you gotta go there yourself!

Alrighty then...now it's time to find a job and make this happen!

One more thing...we absolutely LOVED the HEB Plus we visited, and I was shocked to find I could buy my favorite California wines CHEAPER there than here in CA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2013, 06:52 PM

12,114 posts, read 14,997,958 times
So glad you liked our city! If you liked the HEB Plus on Potranco, try the one on Bandera Road!

Old 06-23-2013, 07:22 PM

584 posts, read 1,192,741 times
Glad you like it here. Have been here nine years now from the Maryland/DC area and LOVE IT here. People are really nice and I fell in love that after we decided to make this our home since my husband was retiring from active duty.

Old 06-23-2013, 10:41 PM

1,220 posts, read 2,681,363 times
Welcome to SA! Thank you for the kind words.

Old 06-23-2013, 11:15 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,667,568 times
You're right about the traffic compared with California (I'm originally from LA area...41 years ago). However, traffic has become more congested over the years due to population growth. One thing to watch for is drunk drivers, especially late at night. Cars pulled over on the side of the road seem to be magnets for drunk drivers.

Also, don't leave valuables in plain sight when you park your car.

Old 06-24-2013, 09:30 AM

733 posts, read 1,047,107 times
this city is pretty damn cool at times. traffic might surprise you, as i dont know if you were on 281 or 1604 during the really bad hours.

glad you liked it.

Old 06-24-2013, 12:58 PM

40 posts, read 107,358 times
I'm glad you enjoyed your visit! I think you're going to love it here. I totally agree with you about having the greatest people in the world. And our traffic is pretty reasonable, but remember that you were visiting in the summer when school is out. The mornings, especially, are a lot heavier when school is in session.

Old 06-24-2013, 01:35 PM

169 posts, read 391,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nernah View Post
And our traffic is pretty reasonable, but remember that you were visiting in the summer when school is out. The mornings, especially, are a lot heavier when school is in session.
Oh yeah we definitely took that into consideration, comparing our traffic right now to yours since our schools are out as well. My wife and I work near each other so we commute together and can utilize the carpool lanes here. Even with that, this morning our 19 mile commute took 1 hour and 10 minutes, which is about average. Some days it's as much as 1.5 hours. On the very best of days (like a Friday before a long weekend) it's about 45 to 50 minutes

Old 06-24-2013, 05:58 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,334,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradford72 View Post

1) San Antonians are REALLY friendly and genuine! From servers to grocery clerks to gas station attendants to other drivers on the road, we were pleasantly surprised at how nice and courteous everyone is.

2) Your "traffic" problems are nowhere near as bad as you think they are. I guess it's all in one's perception, but we are truly looking forward to commuting in your city as opposed to the Bay Area mess we currently suffer through. And yes, we drove during commute hours both near 281/1604 and the corridor between Alamo Ranch and I-10. Since we were staying in Fair Oaks Ranch with family, we also travelled on I-10 each morning and evening during commute hours and only had one little snarl (disabled big rig clogging things up one evening).
San Antonians are very friendly people, but they still can't drive worth a d---. Traffic really isn't a big deal, but it's made worse than it has to be due to the inordinate amount of dawdling motorists. Expedition is not a common quality in this part of Texas.

Old 06-25-2013, 09:14 AM

1,175 posts, read 1,437,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradford72 View Post
Oh yeah we definitely took that into consideration, comparing our traffic right now to yours since our schools are out as well. My wife and I work near each other so we commute together and can utilize the carpool lanes here. Even with that, this morning our 19 mile commute took 1 hour and 10 minutes, which is about average. Some days it's as much as 1.5 hours. On the very best of days (like a Friday before a long weekend) it's about 45 to 50 minutes
Holy cow, when you move here you're going to have to figure out what you're going to do with all that extra time!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio