Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 03:32 PM

203 posts, read 561,368 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothNSexy91 View Post
If I could turn back the hands of time and pick where I wanted to live...I would choose New Braunfels. The other towns are really good too. Im black and I have been living in SA for 7 years and as much as I hate San Antonio with an effin passion, The northeast (going to Austin) side of the town is the best!!!

In NB, you have Shlitterbahn!!!! Come on now, that is the BIGGEST and BEST water park in the whole state!!!!

Its more relaxed out there and If I were you, I would travel out to the San Marcos, Austin, Round Rock area to shop and have fun. Its more diverse there...you see black, white, hispanic, asian...plus the people carries themselves better. You come to San Antonio, all you see are ghetto hispanics, EVERYWHERE!!!!!!!!!!! Stay the Hell away!!!!!!!

Im guessing you are white, so Im just warning you...Im black and I hate SA!!!Im actually going to work in Austin because the city has no money, no good job, and you have to speak spanish or be bilingual pretty much at any job.

You have an Texas State San Marcos and University of Texas at Austin!!!Plus more art and culture to see and many things to do when you go up there.

Please take my advice and I hope that you make the right choices and like I say...please, even if you have to spend a little bit on gas, go travel to Austin for your Vacations and fun...SA is closer but with the exception of Sea World, which sucks, Fiesta Texas, and the La Centera Area in SA (1604) dont even waste your time in that wack city.
Wow! Get out of your cave! You don't need to know Spanish to work in this city at all. I've lived here all my life and I take offense to someone making comments like this that are so untrue. The fact is there are "ghetto" people in every city no matter what race they are. It's ignorant people like you that tarnish San Antonio. Also at the moment this is still a free country so you have the right to move and it seems as though you will fit right in with all the liberals in Austin!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2013, 07:19 PM

340 posts, read 586,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexHwyMan View Post
The census bureau considers New Braunfels a central city, which means this is the San Antonio - New Braunfels metro area.

I can only laugh at this post. So many blanket (and untrue) assertions, not to mention the racist comments. San Antonio is plenty diverse, there are plenty of art and cultural attractions here, and I've had several jobs here and haven't had to speak a lick of Spanish at any of them, nor do I have to speak Spanish to shop, dine, or otherwise do business here. And there are plenty of good jobs (I have one thank you very much.) If you hate SA, that's fine-- to each their own. But most of your reasons why have no basis in fact.
Tex, it was a troll job. I doubt he or she lives here or is black for that matter.

Old 07-10-2013, 12:55 PM

282 posts, read 472,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothNSexy91 View Post
If I could turn back the hands of time and pick where I wanted to live...I would choose New Braunfels. The other towns are really good too. Im black and I have been living in SA for 7 years and as much as I hate San Antonio with an effin passion, The northeast (going to Austin) side of the town is the best!!!

In NB, you have Shlitterbahn!!!! Come on now, that is the BIGGEST and BEST water park in the whole state!!!!

Its more relaxed out there and If I were you, I would travel out to the San Marcos, Austin, Round Rock area to shop and have fun. Its more diverse there...you see black, white, hispanic, asian...plus the people carries themselves better. You come to San Antonio, all you see are ghetto hispanics, EVERYWHERE!!!!!!!!!!! Stay the Hell away!!!!!!!

Im guessing you are white, so Im just warning you...Im black and I hate SA!!!Im actually going to work in Austin because the city has no money, no good job, and you have to speak spanish or be bilingual pretty much at any job.

You have an Texas State San Marcos and University of Texas at Austin!!!Plus more art and culture to see and many things to do when you go up there.

Please take my advice and I hope that you make the right choices and like I say...please, even if you have to spend a little bit on gas, go travel to Austin for your Vacations and fun...SA is closer but with the exception of Sea World, which sucks, Fiesta Texas, and the La Centera Area in SA (1604) dont even waste your time in that wack city.
Have you ever thought that you might be the problem? I'm a black woman who has lived here for two years now and I MUST respectfully disagree with your entire post.

San Antonio is much more diverse than anybody from Chicago (where I'm from) would imagine. From the outside looking in, it seems like a hugely Hispanic city (which is somewhat true) with nothing else....Not the case. I see many Black folks on a daily basis! Have you ever been around the 1604/Bandera area? I swear, every third person is Asian, therefore your argument is not valid. Not to mention there are two Middle-easterners that work in my office. Drive around, go to the mall, get out of your box, you'll notice SA is more colorful than you think.

I always laugh when someone says you have to know Spanish to get a job here. It's such a blanket statement that's completely untrue.

Old 07-10-2013, 01:03 PM

282 posts, read 472,164 times
To the OP:
Welcome to the city! If your wife will be working in Schertz, the northeast area of town will be fine. And from what I understand, the schools over there are pretty good. I wouldn't know, I have no children LOL. I will add this. If your budget allows, I'd look around the Alamo Heights/Terrell Hills area. It's my side of town and in my opinion, the best, most centrally-located area of SA. And during morning/afternoon commute, your wife will be traveling opposite of traffic.

And again, welcome to San Antonio. I hope you and your family enjoy it like I do.

Old 07-11-2013, 12:34 PM

6 posts, read 7,814 times
Thanks for all the responses.

Both my wife and myself grew up in small towns, then lived a good chunk of our lives in major Metropolises so we have seen both the best and worst benefits of living in both.

I just think there comes a time in your life where you just feel more happier living in one than the other and in our case although we enjoyed the City life during our early 20's, we much prefer the community aspects and slower pace of life offered by living in a smaller town which is the reason we were looking at places such as New Braunfels and not within the City Limits of San Antonio.

At the moment we live in a very rural area (all our neighbors are Amish farms) and it takes us a 20 minute drive just to get to the nearest small store. So what we want is somewhere that still has that small town feel but the conveniences better amenities close to hand.

If anyone has any other recommendations of other places we might not have thought of that would be within say a 30min commute to Schertz please let me know.

Old 07-12-2013, 07:58 PM

12 posts, read 16,398 times
The New Braunfels area is very nice.

I took my family to visit Landa Park the other weekend and we enjoyed tubing and walking the park. Here is the link, New Braunfels, TX - Official Website - Landa Park

[Mod cut: ad]

Last edited by elnina; 07-16-2013 at 06:21 PM..

Old 07-12-2013, 09:19 PM

2,649 posts, read 7,440,762 times
Actually you might find the small town atmosphere most prevalent in Alamo heights/ Terrell hills. Much smaller than new braunfels, no interstate highway runs through the middle of town. The school system is 2 elementaries, a jr high and a high school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio