Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2013, 11:45 PM

443 posts, read 954,158 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grjr View Post
Yes, that's the same The Sound Idea. I believe the original owner's name was Armin but he died quite a few years ago. Last I knew his son was running the shop at their new location.

I think you mean SoundCom over off Basse. Armin's still very much alive and has a jaw dropping personal collection of vintage electronics. However, business is business and they aren't too enthusiastic about projects that have a slow turnaround. He'd probably do it, but it'd cost more than you could buy one off fleabay for. In fact, I have one myself that just needs the dial lights replaced.

I've also got a couple of Teac reel-to-reels.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2013, 12:22 AM

207 posts, read 320,362 times
Yeah, my mistake on the name. I actually got my first job in San Antonio in 1977 working for Dolly at Soundcom.

I remembered the name of the gentleman formerly at Sound Idea yesterday (talked with him many times over the years) but it just won't come to me today. I'm really bad with names as I'm getting older. It'll probably come to me later when I'm not trying.

Old 08-05-2013, 05:43 AM

208 posts, read 381,291 times
Hey grjr....do you repair blown speakers? If so, I've got a old Bose 501 speaker that has a blown speaker cone.

Old 08-05-2013, 09:38 AM

4,132 posts, read 7,192,109 times
Quote:
Yeah, my mistake on the name. I actually got my first job in San Antonio in 1977 working for Dolly at Soundcom.

I remembered the name of the gentleman formerly at Sound Idea yesterday (talked with him many times over the years) but it just won't come to me today. I'm really bad with names as I'm getting older. It'll probably come to me later when I'm not trying.
Sound Idea use to be on Fredericksburg Rd. The gentleman's name is Pete (born in Berlin). Haven't been in years but his son was actively engaged in the business.

Old 08-05-2013, 12:59 PM

207 posts, read 320,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Cop View Post
Hey grjr....do you repair blown speakers? If so, I've got a old Bose 501 speaker that has a blown speaker cone.
Is the foam surround on the woofers rotted out? I was warranty service for Bose also and saw a lot of that. I always took them to Fidel over at San Antonio Speaker Reconing but I just tried his number and it looks like he's not there anymore. It's been 4 or 5 years since I talked to him.

If you're handy at all you can buy the surround repair kits on ebay. Just search for Bose 501 foam surround repair kit. It's not that hard to replace them. You just have to make sure the voice coil is centered when you glue the outside so it doesn't rub while playing.

img.imageResizerActiveClass{cursor:nw-resize !important;outline:1px dashed black !important;} img.imageResizerChangedClass{z-index:300 !important;max-width:none !important;max-height:none !important;} img.imageResizerBoxClass{margin:auto; z-index:99999 !important; position:fixed; top:0; left:0; right:0; bottom:0; border:1px solid white; outline:1px solid black;}

Old 08-05-2013, 09:30 PM

68 posts, read 147,519 times
"Yes, that's the same The Sound Idea. I believe the original owner's name was Armin but he died quite a few years ago." Thanks, Sorry to hear that he passed away. It was a long time ago, a friend of mine had taken some stuff there for repairs...and he had worked on our old Sony 4 track reel to reel. I have a bunch of tapes from about 30 years ago.

Old 12-30-2014, 06:16 PM

6,705 posts, read 8,771,270 times
I know this is an old thread but need some advice from those stereo gurus out there. I recently inherited a huge vintage stereo console made by Magnavox in the late 60's or perhaps early 70's while cleaning out the estate of a deceased family member. The cabinet itself is beautiful and looks like solid wood but I know nothing about operating the record player or the 8 track. Can anyone here reccomend someone who has the knowledge to "retro-fit" the cabinet with more modern stereo equipment?

Old 06-06-2018, 01:33 PM

1 posts, read 765 times
Any one know if someone works on vinyl video dics players in San Antonio?

Old 08-07-2018, 05:13 PM

16 posts, read 14,724 times
Quote:
Well, apparently somewhere along the way, I chucked out all the Kenwood service manuals. But even when I had the manual I would hardly ever pull it out because I just didn't need it most times.

I'd be happy to look at it for you and see if it's anything worth repairing. Send me a PM and let me know whereabouts you're located. I'm on the northwest side of town.

I have a class A denon amp that I purchased in Saudi Arabia back in 80 and one side of my amp is not talking or playing music?
Thanks
sonny

Old 08-08-2018, 04:06 AM

4,132 posts, read 7,192,109 times
The Sound Idea was founded in 1973 by Pete Burger, Sr. We use to drink beer at the shop after closing time. He was born in Berlin, Germany and I miss him. (He didn't like Hogan's Heroes because "us Germans weren't THAT dumb".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio