Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2013, 06:59 PM

243 posts, read 334,079 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefoxsays View Post
There are certain reasons a person elected to a position of power should be recalled, regardless of party affiliation.

Being upset because a person in power endorses something you oppose or passed something you oppose isn't one of those reasons.
So by your standards the the people of Wisconsin had no right to petition for a recall of their Governor.
Should the people of the country consult you before they call for a recall to see if it meets your standards first? I believe the voters be they Republicans or Democrats have the right to call for a recall regardless if you think it is for a valid reason or not. That's what so great about our system no one person gets to decide, the majority still rules whichever way that will be.

Old 09-24-2013, 05:30 PM

135 posts, read 191,742 times
More signatures today!!! Can't stop won't stop!

Old 09-24-2013, 09:52 PM

176 posts, read 358,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spursrock View Post
More signatures today!!! Can't stop won't stop!
Where do the people go to sign such petition? I can give you at least 4 more signatures to that list.

Old 09-25-2013, 02:38 AM

37 posts, read 51,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spursrock View Post
Wow some people are really okay with what he has done to this city. At the rate we are going San Antonio will become the next Detroit. Forget it has anything to do with the left or right this guy is no good for the city! Everything this mayor has done has cost this city money and jobs. Please explain the good he has done that doesn't warrant his recall? We should be ashamed of the pathetic city council and mayor we have.
You are so right! Need to enlighten other Texans!

Old 09-25-2013, 06:18 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,141,331 times
Think about where this goes if it's successful. (And I'm not convinced that it will be. but this is just food for thought.) The recall petition triggers a recall election. The mayor runs against multiple opponents, who will be unknowns, gadflies and possibly a Republican lightning rod like Elisa Chan, since no prominent Democrat would dare run against him. So the mayor will draw most of the votes in the first election, maybe 50% or more or maybe not. If he gets over 50%, it's over and he gets to stay in office. If he gets less than 50% of the vote, he faces one of those far less prominent opponents, outspends that opponent 10:1 and wins by a landslide.

What is a recall really accomplishing?

Old 09-25-2013, 07:26 AM

580 posts, read 1,430,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
Think about where this goes if it's successful. (And I'm not convinced that it will be. but this is just food for thought.) The recall petition triggers a recall election. The mayor runs against multiple opponents, who will be unknowns, gadflies and possibly a Republican lightning rod like Elisa Chan, since no prominent Democrat would dare run against him. So the mayor will draw most of the votes in the first election, maybe 50% or more or maybe not. If he gets over 50%, it's over and he gets to stay in office. If he gets less than 50% of the vote, he faces one of those far less prominent opponents, outspends that opponent 10:1 and wins by a landslide.

You're completely right--it'll accomplish nothing except to waste the time and money of all involved. (Chan for mayor? Ha ha ha.) People should realize that the mayor will simply win again. We won't see a Republican here as mayor. Believe it.

Castro has done a great job. He's doing exactly what I thought he'd do when I voted for him. The city is headed in the right direction, financially and otherwise. For the folks supporting the recall: sorry, this is what the city wants, and it's what it voted for. If you want something radically different, move to one of the small towns around San Antonio, where you can get a mayor more to your liking.

Same goes for Diego Bernal. He's doing exactly what he said he would, and I'm proud of him. I'm in District 1, and I voted for him, too. (Incidentally, I voted for someone else in the primary, and in a show of good faith, he immediately brought that candidate onto his team when they lost. Pretty impressive show of camaraderie and bridge building, unlike what we're seeing from the folks behind these recalls.)

Old 09-25-2013, 07:28 AM

6,707 posts, read 8,791,397 times
Quote:

It would have to be a candidate that is publicly backed by Phil Hardberger to even stand a chance against Castro. Aside from naming a park after himself, he was a pretty decent Mayor.

Old 09-25-2013, 07:41 AM

330 posts, read 588,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuneOf48 View Post
You're completely right--it'll accomplish nothing except to waste the time and money of all involved. (Chan for mayor? Ha ha ha.) People should realize that the mayor will simply win again. We won't see a Republican here as mayor. Believe it.

Castro has done a great job. He's doing exactly what I thought he'd do when I voted for him. The city is headed in the right direction, financially and otherwise. For the folks supporting the recall: sorry, this is what the city wants, and it's what it voted for. If you want something radically different, move to one of the small towns around San Antonio, where you can get a mayor more to your liking.

Same goes for Diego Bernal. He's doing exactly what he said he would, and I'm proud of him. I'm in District 1, and I voted for him, too. (Incidentally, I voted for someone else in the primary, and in a show of good faith, he immediately brought that candidate onto his team when they lost. Pretty impressive show of camaraderie and bridge building, unlike what we're seeing from the folks behind these recalls.)
Yes to all of that.

Old 09-25-2013, 08:04 AM

4,439 posts, read 5,357,776 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuneOf48 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntentionallyBlank View Post
Yes to all of that.

Why so shortsighted?

Why so much talk about wasted money when the city government and most governments waste money all the time?

If the recall actually succeeds the opposition will be tying things around his neck like Pre-K for SA and the CPS rate hike and the impending SAWS rate hike. The idiotic VIA streetcar that was just approved will also come into play even though he had nothing to DIRECTLY do with a lot of the issues people are mad about.

The only people who are whining in this thread are Castro supporters. The people that are wanting to recall the mayor are out signing petitions.

Who knows maybe it will damage the mayor as he attempts to go onto higher office.

Old 09-25-2013, 08:10 AM

6,707 posts, read 8,791,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynetwo View Post
Why so shortsighted?

Why so much talk about wasted money when the city government and most governments waste money all the time?

If the recall actually succeeds the opposition will be tying things around his neck like Pre-K for SA and the CPS rate hike and the impending SAWS rate hike. The idiotic VIA streetcar that was just approved will also come into play even though he had nothing to DIRECTLY do with a lot of the issues people are mad about.

The only people who are whining in this thread are Castro supporters. The people that are wanting to recall the mayor are out signing petitions.

Who knows maybe it will damage the mayor as he attempts to go onto higher office.
There are a lot of anti-Castro whiners here that aren't doing anything but whining about him.

People are doing nothing but complaining on both sides of the fence here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio