Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2007, 01:57 PM

11 posts, read 56,299 times

Advertisements

Hello all. I will be relocating to SA this summer & I want to order a cell phone soon, as I will be driving to SA & would like to have the phone for the trip. I keep hearing that Cingular is the best for Texas, but when I looked at their coverage map, it's not so great for some of the states I will be driving through. This isnt a HUGE concern, though, since we will mostly be using the phone in SA. I was just wondering which companies you all have & any complaints you may have against them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2007, 02:03 PM

3,468 posts, read 8,555,245 times
We have Cingular and it's o.k. They say they have the fewest dropped calls, but sure seems to us like alot get dropped. Have heard that some of the other companies get better reception in certain areas (we've had no reception in several stores inside malls previously, but it seems to be getting better).

Seems like all of the carriers have their pros and cons. Maybe go with one who most of your friends and family use, since most have free mobile to mobile on the same carrier. Cingular is doing that thing now that if your home phone service is AT&T you can bundle it with your cell phone and it'll be a free call as well.

Good luck!!! Lots to consider!!

Old 03-30-2007, 02:31 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,948,459 times
They all suck. Just pick one.

Old 03-30-2007, 03:48 PM

380 posts, read 1,279,956 times
We have Verizon, I've had a few problems but nothing significant.

1*Ranch

Old 03-30-2007, 05:09 PM

276 posts, read 970,125 times
I've had Sprint for 7 years. Very few dropped calls. Their high speed access on the handset works really well. Plus I get free roaming anywhere on any network. I'm in my 4th contract with them, so it can't be all bad. My only complaint is that from time to time I'll miss a call because the phone doesn't ring.

I've heard horror stories from t-Mobile customers due to problems getting a signal inside buildings.

Old 03-30-2007, 07:41 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,038,202 times
I used to have Cingular and had a BUNCH of dropped calls. I switched to Verizon and have had no problems. I drove from CA, through AZ, NM and into Texas and had service all the time. Never had a problem.

Old 03-31-2007, 09:25 AM

4,796 posts, read 15,367,677 times
I abhor them all too.....but it's so hard to be without it and doing business.

I have Sprint....and have had Sprint for 9 years. I will say the service is pretty good in this area, but I get frustrated with them changing their plans all the time. Last year when I renewed, unlimited calls were bumped back to 9pm CST. When I got my new phone this fall, I changed my minutes which meant I started a whole new two year plan. The unlimited calls were changed back to 7pm, but I could't take advantage of the $150 credit toward a new phone I had from renewing my plan six months earlier. They zero that out when you change plans....so it's not really a credit, it's a one time bonus. So....you can change up your plan anytime, but it's like starting a two year lock in plan everytime. If you ever cancel before that and change servers, there is some exhorbitant fee like $200. They have no mercy! It's all marketing to sort of manipulate customers. I think it's criminal, but they ALL do it.

I have to stop writing about this .....I might say something I will want to edit later!

Old 04-01-2007, 06:53 AM

1,287 posts, read 3,819,803 times
I've been with Verizon for several years now and have been completely satisfied. I've traveled all over the country and have been able to get reception where folks on other carriers couldn't.

They also don't mess with your plan. The options I have now are better than what they're currently offering. I had someone call up the other day and offer me a $30 credit because I was out of contract. I don't have any plans to change but I want to wait and see if they up the offer before renewing.

The only downside I can see is that they don't seem to offer the same number of minutes (less) at similar prices to the other carriers.

Old 04-01-2007, 11:07 PM

470 posts, read 1,952,729 times
I've been a Sprint customer since 1994. No issues since moving here to SA. I also get great phone/internet coverage on my Verizon Blackberry as well.

Old 04-02-2007, 09:56 AM

4,145 posts, read 10,427,991 times
I've had Verizon for 8 years and won't switch. I used to travel all over the country for a living. Between myself and my co-workers, we had almost every type of carrier in our group, and I was the only one that never lost service.

Now in Texas, my career currently requires me to use about 2000 minutes/month on the phone, and while I'm not a big fan of their pricing and having to pay for any upgrades to my phone, I can't complain about the service one bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio