Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 04:12 PM

6 posts, read 11,544 times

Advertisements

I'm considering moving to San Antonio and had a few questions. I was looking into Denver until I found the job market to be a little competitive for comfort. So far from what I understand Texas in general has a very strong economy and good opportunity to acquire a job. I have a couple associates degrees but nothing special, still working on it. I'm just wondering what the competition is like in terms of average jobs around $9-12 an hour range. Would it be realistic to be able to aquire such a job in say a month or so of being there? I would be willing to take anything in any field really.

One more concern I did have was about the scorpions and tarantulas. Being from MI I never delt with these things before. Small spiders around here I'm not even fond of let alone ones 3 times the size. Living in an apartment in this area would I have to worry about either of them getting into my place? If so would it be very far and few inbetween or is this something I would have to deal with on a somewhat common basis?

Thank you,
haulinbass
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2014, 04:20 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,987,315 times
OK, to make it a little easier to answer your question, can you be a bit more specific what types of employment you are suited/looking for? A salary range of $9-12 can encompass a wide variety of jobs!

Secondly, being from Florida I have an aversion to bugs as well, and I've not had any issues in the 10+ years we've lived in Texas. Yes, there are some scorpions and tarantulas around; but your chances of seeing one are slim. You should be more concerned with fire ants, which will mess up your day! I think we've seen two tarantulas in the past give years, and both times it was out in the middle of the Texas Hill Country. As for scorpions, I have yet to see one but I worked with a guy who was stung by one once. Unless you have an allergy to them, all you'll experience is some pain and swelling in the stung area. It's not like the scorpions in the Middle East where a sting can be fatal!

By the way, since you're from Michigan will you be able to take the heat? It gets pretty dang hot down here, but some of us prefer it over to the cold!

Cheers! M2

Old 01-28-2014, 04:20 PM

4,145 posts, read 10,427,153 times
For jobs, we're stronger than just about anyone in the country. If nothing else, you may be able to get a position in the oil fields. They pay well and have all types of positions. I know there are folks with more knowledge of exact places to find those positions on here, so hopefully one of them will chime in.

For scorpions, tarantulas, etc., they're nothing to worry about. The scorpions aren't the ones you see in movies. They're small and IF you step on one, it's no worse than a bee sting and fades quickly. They're found more in the hill country and the areas where new construction disturbs their nest. I live IN town and have never seen one at my house in 20+ years.

Tarantulas are the same. First, they're not dangerous to humans. Ugly? Yes. But not dangerous. Second, you'll rarely see them. Only time I've really seen them was in the hill country when they came out at dusk to feed on insects. Was actually pretty cool to see them all. But it was on a 20 acre property at the top of a hill. Much ado about nothing.

Old 01-28-2014, 04:39 PM

501 posts, read 1,050,358 times
I am sure that you will be able to find something in that pay range, but be sure not to let your interviewer know "Ill really do anything". The lack of enthusiasm about a position usually turns them off to you as a candidate.

I have seen 2 scorpions, and no tarantulas. The scorpions were extremely small, and easy to dispatch. Definitely not something to worry about.

Old 01-28-2014, 05:15 PM

68 posts, read 147,596 times
I would agree with the others comments, lots of financial and customer service companies (phone work) at that pay in those ranges...Chase Bank, Citibank, Nationwide insurance, Wells Fargo to name a few(me, my wife and 2 children have worked at one or more of these companies).

I have had scorpions in my home on several occasions and had to kill them, I have been stung a couple times outdoors, and like the others have said its not too bad.(like getting touched with a lit cigarrette, leaves a welt that goes away in a day or too). The Brown Recluse spider is a bad one, but I have never seen them. The last Tarantula i saw was in Big Bend National Park many years ago. Ants are always a problem but you can control them fairly easy.

Old 01-28-2014, 06:11 PM

Awesome feedback guys, I really appreciate it.

As far as jobs go. I have CNC experience, in particular running lathes making surgical tools. I have an associates in criminal justice and close to an associates in Business Administration. I have a certification of Corrections as well. I laid flooring for a couple years although I would only take employment laying strictly tile.

Overall I wouldn't mind getting back on a lathe in a CNC shop. I have a strong interest in buisness as I plan on getting my bachelors in it. I also am starting to read books on stocks and finance. So I wouldn't mind getting into a entry level position in that field that I can work my way up with hard work.

I'm very open to anything that has an opportunity to move up, learn, and increase pay through hard work and fast learning.

At first I would take basically anything that offers me full time. So I am very open I just want to make sure I'll be able to get a job somewhere. I'll work as a dish washer for a little while for all I care. The people in the Colorado forums made it sound like it could take me four months just to pick up a minimum wage job in Denver.

Old 01-28-2014, 08:59 PM

8 posts, read 13,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haulinbass View Post
Awesome feedback guys, I really appreciate it.

As far as jobs go. I have CNC experience, in particular running lathes making surgical tools. I have an associates in criminal justice and close to an associates in Business Administration. I have a certification of Corrections as well. I laid flooring for a couple years although I would only take employment laying strictly tile.

Overall I wouldn't mind getting back on a lathe in a CNC shop. I have a strong interest in buisness as I plan on getting my bachelors in it. I also am starting to read books on stocks and finance. So I wouldn't mind getting into a entry level position in that field that I can work my way up with hard work.

I'm very open to anything that has an opportunity to move up, learn, and increase pay through hard work and fast learning.

At first I would take basically anything that offers me full time. So I am very open I just want to make sure I'll be able to get a job somewhere. I'll work as a dish washer for a little while for all I care. The people in the Colorado forums made it sound like it could take me four months just to pick up a minimum wage job in Denver.
Kind of a crazy coincidence. I moved here about 18 months ago from the Midwest. I have a degree in CJ and my husband works in machining. There's lots of that type of work here. So much, in fact, my brother moved here shortly after and got a job in a shop with no experience. His company has trained him in several skills, and he's really happy. We've also had no wild spider/scorpion encounters, so I doubt you have much to worry about as far as that is concerned!

Old 01-28-2014, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Kind of a crazy coincidence. I moved here about 18 months ago from the Midwest. I have a degree in CJ and my husband works in machining. There's lots of that type of work here. So much, in fact, my brother moved here shortly after and got a job in a shop with no experience. His company has trained him in several skills, and he's really happy. We've also had no wild spider/scorpion encounters, so I doubt you have much to worry about as far as that is concerned!
Wow that is great to here, best news I heard all day. I'm really excited that I landed on Texas through all this research. It just keeps sounding better and better. Being from Michigan you can only imagine how tough work is to come by in general let alone good paying.

I would absolutely have no rejections to getting back in the CNC shop granted there is opportunity to keep learning and a chance to show your abilities and increase your wages. Any chance you could give me an idea of the pay they started at and possibly what they were able to work up to in that time period?

Also did you end up finding work in the CJ field?

Old 01-29-2014, 05:56 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,475,795 times
If you move to a neighborhood that's been around for decades, you more than likely won't see any scorpions. I went 20-something years without seeing a scorpion until I worked on the south side in a rural area. People also see snakes and scorpions in new subdivisions in areas that were recently undeveloped.

Old 01-29-2014, 12:39 PM

8 posts, read 13,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haulinbass View Post
Wow that is great to here, best news I heard all day. I'm really excited that I landed on Texas through all this research. It just keeps sounding better and better. Being from Michigan you can only imagine how tough work is to come by in general let alone good paying.

I would absolutely have no rejections to getting back in the CNC shop granted there is opportunity to keep learning and a chance to show your abilities and increase your wages. Any chance you could give me an idea of the pay they started at and possibly what they were able to work up to in that time period?

Also did you end up finding work in the CJ field?
I am not sure the exact amount he was hired in at, but it was probably $10-$12. Again, he had no experience and the shop was willing to train him in machining and welding. He's been a good employee and they have given him decent pay raises since he started. I'm not sure what he makes now, but he seems happy about it. I am sure if you have any experience at all you'll be able to find work here.

As for me, I moved here to take a job as a professor so I teach CJ. If you are interested in CJ-type work, I know the county jail and another facility on the outskirts of town are always hiring for security personnel. It is a good way to get your foot in the door, and they usually have decent benefits since they are state jobs. Definitely not for everyone though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio