Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2017, 07:01 AM

1,082 posts, read 834,066 times

Advertisements

Hey all, the family are new to this area, but not new to the Texas Hill Country. Wife form here and I am from the great state of California....that's slowly becoming not so great anymore.

Annnnnnnyways, we went to Lackland to watch planes yesterday. We used to go to Miramar all the time and watch the F-18s and other C-130s come in. We are sort of aviation geeks. We found a clear spot away from all of the "can't film or park here" signs. No one bothered us and man did we see a ton of flying. My question is does anyone know if they allow this? Again, no MP approached us, but I am wondering if we just got lucky. The spot was a clear open pull off area. A few other cars did the same, took some photos, and left. The signs were about 100 yards away beyond where they ere being posted every 50 feet. I am guessing they did that to keep accidents down to a minimum on the curvy part of Growdon Rd. If anyone has any input, it would be appreciated. It's something we'll do often and I don;t want to get a shakedown. It might freak my two little ones out just a little.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2017, 09:16 AM

7,629 posts, read 16,461,711 times
You are JUST in time for all the photo ops you want this weekend!! JBSA San Antonio will be hosting the Air Show this weekend, 4/5 Nov 2017. Get out there and take all the photos you want and enjoy the tours they will have available to enjoy to include the Tunderbirds!

JBSA AIR SHOW 2017
Nov. 4 - 5
JBSA-Lackland Kelly Field Annex

The 2017 Joint Base San Antonio Air Show and Open House is free, open to the public and takes place Nov. 4-5 at JBSA-Lackland Kelly Field Annex. Headlining the schedule are the U.S. Air Force Thunderbirds, the Air Force's premier demonstration team, and Tora Tora Tora.

You can get more info at their website: JBSAAIRSHOW.COM

Last edited by Paka; 11-02-2017 at 09:48 AM..

Old 11-02-2017, 07:49 PM

814 posts, read 677,369 times
You can drive right into Kelly these days, I've done it recently doing some remembering good times but did not stop. Very close to the runway shared by Lackland.

I used to work on the Kelly tarmac / fuel system one summer 20 years ago and got close to lots of planes, with security close at hand keeping an eye on me.

Old 11-03-2017, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
You are JUST in time for all the photo ops you want this weekend!! JBSA San Antonio will be hosting the Air Show this weekend, 4/5 Nov 2017. Get out there and take all the photos you want and enjoy the tours they will have available to enjoy to include the Tunderbirds!

JBSA AIR SHOW 2017
Nov. 4 - 5
JBSA-Lackland Kelly Field Annex

The 2017 Joint Base San Antonio Air Show and Open House is free, open to the public and takes place Nov. 4-5 at JBSA-Lackland Kelly Field Annex. Headlining the schedule are the U.S. Air Force Thunderbirds, the Air Force's premier demonstration team, and Tora Tora Tora.

You can get more info at their website: JBSAAIRSHOW.COM
Yeah we saw this and are heading there on Sunday. Should be a great time! Thanks for the info!

Quote:
Originally Posted by resonator View Post
You can drive right into Kelly these days, I've done it recently doing some remembering good times but did not stop. Very close to the runway shared by Lackland.

I used to work on the Kelly tarmac / fuel system one summer 20 years ago and got close to lots of planes, with security close at hand keeping an eye on me.
What is the difference between kelly and lackland? Or are they the same? Thanks. yeah,that must have been a cool job.

Old 11-03-2017, 10:20 AM

814 posts, read 677,369 times
You ought to see the hundreds of hydraulic tubes and gizmos that control the landing gear on the C5A. Can't believe all that stuff works, and keeps on working.

Kelly and Lackland are on different sides of the same airfield. Kelly was closed based on the redundant base closure decisions, what some 25+ years ago ? Took a long time to shut down Kelly and transfer it to the city of San Antonio.

A lawyer found an obscure Federal law that requires closed Federal facilities to be offered to the homeless. This lawyer wanted to use the hangars for mobile homes to house the homeless and arrange bus service back into the city so they could beg. Tied up the closure for a couple years.

I was there in 96 when the base was firmly set for closure but new construction of buildings on the Kelly side was proceeding. Your tax money at work.

Old 11-11-2017, 06:27 AM

A little update...the airshow was a great time. The 6 year-old loved it and they did a nice job of showing the old aircraft as well as the new. The weather was great as well. It was also nice they opened the hangars so there was a place to get out of the sun for a little while.

Resonator, I can't believe they pulled that crap. I guess it's not just CA where the BS abounds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio