Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2014, 01:29 PM

343 posts, read 1,305,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by huckster View Post
With a greater voter turnout Pre-K may have been defeated. People don't give a damn about it.
Those whom it benefitted were the ones' who went and voted for it, overwhelmingly.
Did you vote for it? Against it? I doubt it. Seriously.
Then all cry and knash teeth about it as though were a great loss to give to itty-bitty kids.Boondoggle ? Head start is no boondoggle. It is a great program. To help underpriveleged
children with no access to preschool. It is not a big deal. It is for kids and for kids only.
Good Lord, never have I witnessed such a lack of charity for such a cause. It must be all our cause
to get these kids every advantage we can. Don't you see the benefit of this?

I suggest you join the Tea Party and voice your poinion at a Rally while wearing even a powdered wig
for effect. Throw some Lipton Tea into Corpus Christi Bay for symbolism at the same time.Show the video to the little kids whom benefit from this program with an explanation to accompany the clip
as an educational video to explain the symbolism.
It might be a pilot program for politicians in the coming elections. Invaluable for the GOP.
We think.
Like another poster commented, there are already programs in place for children in that age. The main core of children targeted for these programs aren't going to benefit. Not because there isn't a need but because the parents of these children don't care. The parents would need to be educated on the importance of education at his age.

Last year when it first launched, the enrollment numbers in the inner city were way below expectations. The enrollment numbers in areas farther north were what was expected. Oh and try getting numbers on enrollment or how PreK 4 SA is doing thus far and it's very hard to find any information. At least where I've looked but maybe I'm looking in the wrong places.

When it was being promoted, a lot of money was spent so it would pass the vote. The persons against it were facing a huge uphill battle against Castro's voter machine. Even with so much money spent by PreK 4 SA to get support, it barely received a huge majority of the vote. It was not "overwhelmingly".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2014, 01:43 PM

2,721 posts, read 4,391,907 times
Default Firstly and secondly,

I do have ESP. So I know you. Yes I am psychic. I have made this claim before.Here.
I don't think- what about the children. At all. I did not implement this law. It is for very small children. Not all enter head start. So it is not so inclusive. If thsi program did not benefit anyone it would never have been passed.
Why do you believe it was implemented ?
I am very happy that your wife worked for the Head Start Program,
many think ill of it and continually try to destroy it, constantly. Really I am.
Because of this "Taxation without representation" nonsense. I seriously doubt you voted, too. Still.
I make no claim to aspire to lofty ideals, only approve of what I percieve as a good thing. A very good thing.
Yes I am emotionally fueled, but food is the true underlying cause. Actually, truth be known I am sort of
flaccid emotionally.
I simply pen emotionally fueled posts, and it fools the naive. Yes I sit from far from any lofty ideals.

I do see a lot of unjust conditions in society however when all should recieve a fair shake. IT benefits all in the end to begin life in the same start position because by life's end it will have benefitted all.
Castro has recieved Natl. attention and notoriety for this program, he is very, very smart, politically and D.C. knows it. Democrats know this.
IF you don't see this , then so be it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXStrat View Post
First, you don't me anymore than I know you. Unless you are psychic, you cannot claim to know anything about how I vote.

Second, Head Start is a great program. My wife worked for years in central Texas as a Head Start program analyst. Great program that provides a great service. That was part of my point about preexisting federal programs. In addition to Head Start, there is also a national Pre-K program, funded with federal money.

Finally, as is normally the case in emotionally fueled missives like your response, you seek to dismiss factual evidence with emotional talking points like "What about the children?" The children are taken care of, through existing federal programs like Head Start and Pre-K.

Not sure what your rant about the Tea Party has to do with anything at all, other than proving those that claim the mantle of inclusiveness and tolerance , given the chance, will inevitably prove themselves to be the furthest from those lofty ideals.

Old 05-19-2014, 02:19 PM

7 posts, read 10,691 times
Default paving the road?

I dunno too much 'bout his politics.. but seems the Prez is paving a road for Castro.. maybe his bro will take over?

Old 05-19-2014, 02:26 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,036,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spurchic83 View Post
I dunno too much 'bout his politics.. but seems the Prez is paving a road for Castro.. maybe his bro will take over?
This is no parade.

Old 05-19-2014, 02:37 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,409,476 times
Quote:
From A lot of backwards looking citizenry. The future is coming so is change. Go with it or be bowled over by it. Castro is overwhelmingly popular , yes. Bigger than San Antonio, if he can stay squeaky
clean and keep his friends along the way up he has a long future ahead of him, he is very young.
This is how things are.
[Mod cut: those posts are deleted]

Quote:
With a greater voter turnout Pre-K may have been defeated. People don't give a damn about it.
Those whom it benefitted were the ones' who went and voted for it, overwhelmingly.
Did you vote for it? Against it? I doubt it. Seriously.
Then all cry and knash teeth about it as though were a great loss to give to itty-bitty kids.Boondoggle ? Head start is no boondoggle. It is a great program. To help underpriveleged
children with no access to preschool. It is not a big deal. It is for kids and for kids only.
Good Lord, never have I witnessed such a lack of charity for such a cause. It must be all our cause
to get these kids every advantage we can. Don't you see the benefit of this?

I suggest you join the Tea Party and voice your poinion at a Rally while wearing even a powdered wig
for effect. Throw some Lipton Tea into Corpus Christi Bay for symbolism at the same time.Show the video to the little kids whom benefit from this program with an explanation to accompany the clip
as an educational video to explain the symbolism.
It might be a pilot program for politicians in the coming elections. Invaluable for the GOP.
We think.
Quote:
I do have ESP. So I know you. Yes I am psychic. I have made this claim before.Here.
I don't think- what about the children. At all. I did not implement this law. It is for very small children. Not all enter head start. So it is not so inclusive. If thsi program did not benefit anyone it would never have been passed.
Why do you believe it was implemented ?
I am very happy that your wife worked for the Head Start Program,
many think ill of it and continually try to destroy it, constantly. Really I am.
Because of this "Taxation without representation" nonsense. I seriously doubt you voted, too. Still.
I make no claim to aspire to lofty ideals, only approve of what I percieve as a good thing. A very good thing.
Yes I am emotionally fueled, but food is the true underlying cause. Actually, truth be known I am sort of
flaccid emotionally.
I simply pen emotionally fueled posts, and it fools the naive. Yes I sit from far from any lofty ideals.

I do see a lot of unjust conditions in society however when all should recieve a fair shake. IT benefits all in the end to begin life in the same start position because by life's end it will have benefitted all.
Castro has recieved Natl. attention and notoriety for this program, he is very, very smart, politically and D.C. knows it. Democrats know this.
IF you don't see this , then so be it.
Wow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntentionallyBlank View Post
Not popular in certain circles, sure, but overall? That would be interesting to know. He's very well regarded by most people I talk to about San Antonio. And the subject comes up often. So he seems wildly popular from my perspective.
I guess it depends on your perspective then, because "wildly popular" he is not, when you look at news websites' comments sections and facebook pages. He seems positively hated by the majority of those with an Internet connection. *shrugs*

Last edited by elnina; 05-19-2014 at 10:59 PM..

Old 05-19-2014, 03:10 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,478,778 times
The commenters on the local news stories are notoriously conservative. They are by no means representative of the voting population in San Antonio. There is no denying that San Antonio is mostly blue, so I wouldn't use the comments on news stories as a gauge of Castro's popularity. The commenters probably already hated him before he was even elected.

Old 05-19-2014, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
The commenters on the local news stories are notoriously conservative. They are by no means representative of the voting population in San Antonio. There is no denying that San Antonio is mostly blue, so I wouldn't use the comments on news stories as a gauge of Castro's popularity. The commenters probably already hated him before he was even elected.
This makes me laugh. Really? Notoriously conservative? That's funny, last time I checked, liberals figured out how to use a computer. Shockingly...

Old 05-19-2014, 04:10 PM

330 posts, read 587,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
This makes me laugh. Really? Notoriously conservative? That's funny, last time I checked, liberals figured out how to use a computer. Shockingly...
Hmm, I agree with L210. The comments sections (especially KSAT and MYSA) skew far more conservative than the city as a whole. I used to weigh in on things there, but it doesn't usually feel like there's any effort to have respectful discourse, so I stopped commenting. I like hearing opinions different from my own when presented with mutual respect, but news comments sections are not the place apparently. I like Rivard Report for that.

Old 05-19-2014, 04:38 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,116,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
I guess it depends on your perspective then, because "wildly popular" he is not, when you look at news websites' comments sections and facebook pages. He seems positively hated by the majority of those with an Internet connection. *shrugs*
Keep in mind that there is nothing to restrict someone who lives in Kerrville or Dallas or Lincoln, Nebraska from commenting on a local newspaper's web site. None of the people in those places are San Antonio voters, so their "votes" had nothing to do with Castro's election. I've also noticed that many of the comments seem to come from grumpy retired folks, who have ample time to compose diatribes about how things aren't like they used to be, but likely never were and never wlll be in Castro's corner.

Castro is being groomed by his party for bigger things. All that will matters in the partisan primaries he could face someday is that most people in his party like him.

Old 05-19-2014, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
Keep in mind that there is nothing to restrict someone who lives in Kerrville or Dallas or Lincoln, Nebraska from commenting on a local newspaper's web site. None of the people in those places are San Antonio voters, so their "votes" had nothing to do with Castro's election. I've also noticed that many of the comments seem to come from grumpy retired folks, who have ample time to compose diatribes about how things aren't like they used to be, but likely never were and never wlll be in Castro's corner.

Castro is being groomed by his party for bigger things. All that will matters in the partisan primaries he could face someday is that most people in his party like him.
I think I get how the Internet works, thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio