Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Opinion on the Alamodome
I wish it had never been built. 19 46.34%
I wish another stadium type would have been built as opposed to a dome. 5 12.20%
The Alamodome was a good investment but it has served its purpose, time to demolish it and build something else. 4 9.76%
The Alamodome was a good investment and is still serving its purpose. It is a permanent fixture of the San Antonio skyline, it should continue. 13 31.71%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 04:18 PM

9,855 posts, read 13,767,642 times

Advertisements

The Alamo Dome being used as a bargaining chip....again. Oakland Raiders owner in talks with SA to relocate NFL team - San Antonio Express-News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2014, 01:01 PM

8,239 posts, read 10,758,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
Rumor is that it is more than just bargaining this time around.

Old 08-01-2014, 07:11 PM

6,525 posts, read 7,604,015 times
^^^ we shall see in due time.

Old 08-03-2014, 07:32 PM

A couple of time lapse videos showing the transformation of the Alamodome to the various turfs.

Mexico VS Korea Soccer game at the alamodome - YouTube

Alamodome 2013 Baseball field installation - YouTube

Old 09-07-2022, 07:28 PM

Wow, Elton John, Motley Crue, Bad Bunny, Rammstein, WWE Royal Rumble and the Spurs 50th Anniversary game. The Alamodome is getting good use in late 2022 into 2023. Not to mention all of the UTSA games and the annual Alamobowl. I believe Monster Jam is also there in January although its not on the calendar yet.

Old 09-07-2022, 08:01 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,044,457 times
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-on-january-28

WWE Royal Rumble will be hosted at San Antonio alamodome.

I think the Dome is a good thing to have.. Not sure I understand the naysayers. One day I hope San Antonio will get an NFL team, and it won't be anything other than Jerry Jones that stops it.

If they could somehow renovate it to make it viable for baseball we can at least try to get a AAA team back in San Antonio. Wasn't there a thread about the Missions possibly leaving due to the Nelson Wolfe stadium not being very good?

It is a good concert venue, as is the AT&T center, but the downtown location makes it more attractive than the AT&T center location wise. Basketball fans from other cities constantly complain about the location of our the AT&T center compared to other teams stadiums. Might be the worst location in the entire NBA. Maybe we should pitch the AT&T center to the NFL and try to make the alamodome either better for basketball or possbile for baseball. It will take money. This board constantly complains that San Antonio is stuck in its ways and not a world class city like it should be. Personally, I am fine with SA as it is but I know most don't agree.

Sure, the parking situation isn't ideal but seems like we could bulldoze the Bill Millers and possibly a few other nearby buildings. Maybe put some parking under the highway?

Old 09-08-2022, 12:02 PM

868 posts, read 876,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
I think the Dome is a good thing to have.. Not sure I understand the naysayers.
This is a complicated multifaceted issue and an emotional one for some. I agree, SA needed something like the Dome. The problem is the Dome was overpriced for what it was and it was oversold. It was originally sold as being all of these 1) an NFL stadium; 2) MLB stadium; 3) NBA stadium 4) convention center and more. Later the city admitted it was a bait and switch, not suitable for MLB and scheduling limited what it could be used for. It was only a short time after it was built that the Spurs demanded the AT&T center.

Quote:
One day I hope San Antonio will get an NFL team, and it won't be anything other than Jerry Jones that stops it.
The NFL has already said the Alamodome is not suitable for modern NFL team and a new stadium is required.

Quote:
If they could somehow renovate it to make it viable for baseball we can at least try to get a AAA team back in San Antonio. Wasn't there a thread about the Missions possibly leaving due to the Nelson Wolfe stadium not being very good?
Not possible and that was known early in the design phase, see my first quote. Even the Astrodome was hated by baseball fans even though it was infinitely better than the Alamodome.

The Missions and city want to build a new AAA stadium from scratch. I totally support that.

Quote:
This board constantly complains that San Antonio is stuck in its ways and not a world class city like it should be. Personally, I am fine with SA as it is but I know most don't agree.
I completely agree with you here. The charm of SA is that it is not like other cities and is a small town.

Old 09-08-2022, 12:16 PM

2,914 posts, read 2,071,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuero View Post
This is a complicated multifaceted issue and an emotional one for some. I agree, SA needed something like the Dome. The problem is the Dome was overpriced for what it was and it was oversold. It was originally sold as being all of these 1) an NFL stadium; 2) MLB stadium; 3) NBA stadium 4) convention center and more. Later the city admitted it was a bait and switch, not suitable for MLB and scheduling limited what it could be used for. It was only a short time after it was built that the Spurs demanded the AT&T center.

The NFL has already said the Alamodome is not suitable for modern NFL team and a new stadium is required.

Not possible and that was known early in the design phase, see my first quote. Even the Astrodome was hated by baseball fans even though it was infinitely better than the Alamodome.

The Missions and city want to build a new AAA stadium from scratch. I totally support that.

I completely agree with you here. The charm of SA is that it is not like other cities and is a small town.
You mean it is a big city with a small town mentality.

Old 09-08-2022, 12:58 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,044,457 times
I think a better wording would be “it feels like a small town”. In the context of Texas it’s a big city but in the context of America not really

Old 09-08-2022, 07:17 PM

868 posts, read 876,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington Steel View Post
You mean it is a big city with a small town mentality.
I said it wrong but I meant it's a small town with bigger city amenities. I admit that may be a little bit old school but that is how it was back in the 90s and prior. It brings me to tears when I visit and see the Stone Oak and the Sea World areas. Nothing but sprawl and traffic. Too many people. Quality of life has sure gone downhill. I can't believe people want to bring in more of the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio