Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Opinion on the Alamodome
I wish it had never been built. 19 46.34%
I wish another stadium type would have been built as opposed to a dome. 5 12.20%
The Alamodome was a good investment but it has served its purpose, time to demolish it and build something else. 4 9.76%
The Alamodome was a good investment and is still serving its purpose. It is a permanent fixture of the San Antonio skyline, it should continue. 13 31.71%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2022, 09:25 PM

1,042 posts, read 888,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington Steel View Post
You mean it is a big city with a small town mentality.
Exactly. Many times to its detriment.

SA is a city that never takes their opportunity at the right time.

Always behind the eight ball, as it were.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2022, 03:33 AM

2,914 posts, read 2,073,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantBaby View Post
Exactly. Many times to its detriment.

SA is a city that never takes their opportunity at the right time.

Always behind the eight ball, as it were.
Yep. "Keep San Antonio Lame". smh....

Old 09-09-2022, 07:42 AM

3,950 posts, read 3,048,375 times
Yes, please do. Most people from here seem to agree.

Old 09-09-2022, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
Yes, please do. Most people from here seem to agree.
See, that's the funny thing about progress: Whether SA likes it or not, it happens.

California is coming. You can't stop it.

Real estate values are going up. The city expands. People move here in droves.

'The good ol days' are a thing of the past. The puro ideology will die off eventually.

Old 09-10-2022, 02:40 PM

9,855 posts, read 13,775,289 times
I recall the reason for the AT&T center being built where it was was to spur some gentrification in the east side. The Wheatley heights area was sealed a “promise zone” by the Obama administration and got a ton of money pumped into the schools to create “community schools” that integrate education, medical, job training, social services, etc into the community so it helps bring services to the underserved community. I haven’t kept track of whether it’s really helped the community a lot. Another thing was that the city was hoping that it would also spur more businesses like bars and breweries so people would hang out before and after. Of the times I have gone to the AT&T center, it’s been in and out. The last event I recall going to was a bruno mars concert in like 2018? All I do know if that the east side is AirBnB central because it is close to downtown and people have flipped many properties, but they can’t get San Antonians to live in the home because it’s still not a great area.

UPDATE: here’s sn old woai article confirming what I thought. https://news4sanantonio.com/amp/news...ing-att-center

Old 09-12-2022, 11:16 AM

Quote:
See, that's the funny thing about progress: Whether SA likes it or not, it happens.

California is coming. You can't stop it.

Real estate values are going up. The city expands. People move here in droves.

'The good ol days' are a thing of the past. The puro ideology will die off eventually.
We can fight to keep it as long as we can though. Corpus has done a good job of this.

Old 09-12-2022, 01:48 PM

6,525 posts, read 7,610,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
I recall the reason for the AT&T center being built where it was was to spur some gentrification in the east side. The Wheatley heights area was sealed a “promise zone” by the Obama administration and got a ton of money pumped into the schools to create “community schools” that integrate education, medical, job training, social services, etc into the community so it helps bring services to the underserved community. I haven’t kept track of whether it’s really helped the community a lot. Another thing was that the city was hoping that it would also spur more businesses like bars and breweries so people would hang out before and after. Of the times I have gone to the AT&T center, it’s been in and out. The last event I recall going to was a bruno mars concert in like 2018? All I do know if that the east side is AirBnB central because it is close to downtown and people have flipped many properties, but they can’t get San Antonians to live in the home because it’s still not a great area.

UPDATE: here’s sn old woai article confirming what I thought. https://news4sanantonio.com/amp/news...ing-att-center
Its design is very old school with regard to where on the property it was placed. It's an Arena in the middle of a big parking lot that is not a quick walk from the street, if the County really wanted to promote walkability and foot traffic in the East Side it would have been built right up against Houston Street. Common sense says this type of sprawled lay out would not promote any type of foot traffic.

Old 09-12-2022, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
We can fight to keep it as long as we can though. Corpus has done a good job of this.
Odd comparison, as Corpus is nowhere near as big as SA. 330K(ish).

Corpus doesn't have to fight very hard to avoid progress because no one really wants to live there in the first place.

Old 09-12-2022, 08:57 PM

2,914 posts, read 2,073,552 times
Quote:
Odd comparison, as Corpus is nowhere near as big as SA. 330K(ish).

Corpus doesn't have to fight very hard to avoid progress because no one really wants to live there in the first place.
This^^ Their only claim to fame is Selena. And they hold on to that claim desperately.

Old 09-13-2022, 09:43 AM

Yes who would ever want to live in an extremely cheap coastal city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio