Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2007, 06:57 AM

26 posts, read 49,930 times

Advertisements

Thank you - I'm sure it will help! I AM actually feeling a little limited by the Texas REALTOR thing, which I am lead to believe you cant work with more than one at a time (Is this really true?!) Since I don't know the areas how do you know the perfect property is in your Realtor's area?!
I am born and raised in CT. Keep getting really good feedback on SA as a positive change and am really looking forward to it. Have you been there long?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2007, 12:46 PM

791 posts, read 3,960,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb64 View Post
I AM actually feeling a little limited by the Texas REALTOR thing, which I am lead to believe you cant work with more than one at a time (Is this really true?!) Since I don't know the areas how do you know the perfect property is in your Realtor's area?!
Welcome to Texas and to San Antonio - I'm recently returned from the East and am soooo glad not to be scraping ice off my car this year! Regarding your concern about realtors, any licensed realtor can show you any property listed in the MLS. Most realtors do want you to sign an agreement of exclusivity for a fixed period of time (usually 90 days) but if you feel comfortable with the home-buying process you are not required to work exclusively with one (or any) realtor.

Given that you don't know San Antonio well, though, you may be better off working with a realtor who specializes in the parts of town you think you might be interested in. Or, as many others on C-D have advised, rent for a while, get to know the city and then choose an area to buy. If you choose to rent, there are many realtors that do "apartment locator" and leasing work - expect to get mobbed by vultures if you go that route - it's an extremely competitive business and these agents have to fight hard for their commissions. And no, you don't have to work exclusively with any of them, either.*

As a mid-30s professional who makes weekly airport runs, I chose to live just north of Downtown on the edge of Makhncke Park, Monte Vista and what some people call the Tri-Cities (Alamo Heights/Olmos Park/Terrell Hills). Very convenient access to 281N to the airport and great proximity to downtown/Southtown life, the park, AH shopping and a cool neighborhood that's not too urban and not too suburban. There are lots of great neighborhoods in all parts of the city - everyone has strong opinions about their own, so take them with a grain of salt and think about the characteristics and lifestyle that's right for you.

*caveat: I am not a realtor or real estate professional & I may have gotten some small fact wrong. No flames please.

Old 12-29-2007, 02:27 PM

4,263 posts, read 10,825,866 times
As Celeste said, it all depends on what you are looking for. We chose Far West as this is classic suburbia. We have a 10 month old boy and are really looking forward to enjoying the amenities out here. We are 5 minutes from Sea World (think water park) have 2 pools, athletic fields, clubhouse, tennis courts and kids park.. all of which we can walk to. Good schools and plenty of other families with children for him to socialize with, really make it nice for us to live here.
Plus, as I've already stated, I have no commute and my wife is a stay at home mom. So, no rush hour worries.

Last edited by firstclassflyer; 12-29-2007 at 02:45 PM..

Old 12-29-2007, 04:37 PM

3,468 posts, read 8,556,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb64 View Post
Thank you - I'm sure it will help! I AM actually feeling a little limited by the Texas REALTOR thing, which I am lead to believe you cant work with more than one at a time (Is this really true?!) Since I don't know the areas how do you know the perfect property is in your Realtor's area?!
I am born and raised in CT. Keep getting really good feedback on SA as a positive change and am really looking forward to it. Have you been there long?
It sounds like maybe you've already signed an Buyer's Rep Agreement?? If so, you have signed a contract and the Realtor is entitled to a commission if/when you buy a home during the specified time period, even if that agent isn't the one who showed you the home. However, that being said, if you are not happy with your Realtor's performance, you can certainly ask to be released from the contract. One thing to keep in mind, tho, is that Bexar County encompasses all of San Antonio, as well as the incorporated cities (i.e. Castle Hills, Leon Valley, etc.) that lie within San Antonio. Bexar County is a pretty inclusive area, so you shouldn't be too concerned that "the perfect property" isn't in your Realtor's area (unless you are looking to live in an area that is pretty far outside of San Antonio). Realtors in this area all subscribe to the same MLS service, which is pretty extensive. And as long as you've done your due diligence and selected a Realtor who knows the city and listens well to your needs and wants, you would be much better off dealing with one agent who is working with you as a "client" (meaning ~ that agents fiduciary responsibility is to you!), than 2 or 3 who are treating you as a "customer". Big difference.

Regarding using a Realtor for locating a rental, I have to disagree with the "vulture" analogy when it comes to residential Realtors (tho I would imagine that apartment locators may have earned that title). Realtors make so little commission on rentals that most won't even deal in that aspect of RE. (Funny, we were just discussing this at the Meet & Greet today! LOL!) Seriously, it generally works out to much less than minimum wage that you get on commissions on a rental, so it's more of a favor for friends, or a marketing expense for the agents who will do it. Just FYI.

(disclaimer - yes, I am a licensed RE agent, tho not currently active.)

Last edited by jules07; 12-29-2007 at 04:47 PM..

Old 12-30-2007, 06:13 AM

Thanks to all for the feedback. I feel better! Its hard to relocate from a distance. I'm sure once I get out there and take a look, everything will fall into place.
No, I have not actually signed anything. I have been dealing with a Realtor online who sends me listings so I can see whats out there. (Interesting- I contacted 3 and only 1 responded.) Seems professional and motivated enough...
I AM going to rent until I get a feel for where I would like to buy. It looks like I will be renting a house to satisfy my (rather large) dog's need for a fenced in yard and my desire for a swimming pool ( I hear it gets mighty hot in the summer !)
We are expecting yet MORE snow tonite and I cant help but smirk inwardly to think I won't have to deal with that anymore!

Old 12-30-2007, 09:12 AM

No...but you will now have a looongg hot summer. The dog will hate you until he gets used to the heat. You will have to learn not to drive on the flooded back roads. Heed the signs that say "Turn around-don't drown".

Old 12-30-2007, 12:26 PM

Ha! The dog hates me now! Everything is in boxes and I've upset his doggy-park routine! Maybe I'll let him share the pool!

Old 12-30-2007, 12:42 PM

Today is supposed to be a high of 73. Tomorrow 68. That's a little milder than normal, even for SA. By the end of March we we'll be scratching into the low 80's and it's ON from there. We had some 80's in early December this year and a very rainy summer.

Old 12-30-2007, 01:34 PM

Sounds like heaven to me! Here, its warm at 40 degrees, overcast, and 4-8 inches of that yucky white cold stuff that falls out of the sky! Last time I paid attention, we already had 16 inches before the first official day of winter!
I am one of those people that prefers very hot weather. Love water sports, gardening, or soaking up the sun. I hibernate in winter like a bear! I've been contemplating moving to a warm climate for AT LEAST 20 years!

Old 12-30-2007, 02:49 PM

Well, you're certainly going to get some heat.. a lot of it. Please don't come complaining to us that you're "tired of the long hot Texas heat" when it's only mid September! What happened to global warming? My last few years in NY/NY we didn't get very much snow...and I remember it being warmer than when I was a kid (it used to snow in December...and you didn't see the grass again until March).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio