Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2015, 10:39 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,482,537 times

Advertisements

I played around with HPD's and SAPD's salary calculators. SAPD might start out with a lower base salary, but it quickly starts outpacing HPD.
hpdcareer.com - Build your HPD Salary
Salary | San Antonio Police Department Careers

This is what I put in to the HPD calculator.

1 year of service/0-3 year patrol assignment, associates degree, evening/night shift differential, bilingual, and trainer = $50,624

change to 6 years of service/6-7 years patrol assignment = $62,766

This is what I put into the SAPD calculator.

1 year of service, associates degree, language other than English, shift differential, and field training officer = $57,098

change to 5 years of service = $70,812
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2015, 01:04 AM

1,606 posts, read 3,414,005 times
Yes, Houston has the best retirement in the state, with Austin and Corpus Christi right behind. I believe Houston matches what their officers put in $3-$1 and Corpus Christi matches what their officers put it, (6% a check) $2-$1. Austin also pays the highest, but has the highest cost of living.

Corpus Christi's pay scale is also very nice, with a starting salary of $45,048.42 in the academy. Once sworn, the salary is increased to $52,313.31. The pay increases every year until your 3 1/2 year which the salary is $61,524. Next step increase is when you are eligible for senior officer at five years, which begins at $64,608. Max base salary, without promoting, is at $74,712. All of this of course is base pay, no college degree, without night differential, uniform allowance, weekend pay, FTO, or a specialized unit. Not to mention CCPOA has an agreement with a 4% raise in pay, for all CCPD sworn personnel, every year for the next two or four years.

SA has great health insurance coverage for their officers yes. But aside from that, SAPD pays average at best. I know it's a personal preference, but five eight hour shifts also suck! You lose a day off when you take a week of vacation vs four ten hour shifts and your weekends go by a lot quicker. It is nice only working 16 days a month.

Overall, pay/benefit-wise, I would rate the eight biggest cities as such:

1. Austin
2. Arlington
3. Ft. Worth
4. Corpus Christi
5. Houston
6. San Antonio
7. Dallas
8. El Paso

Old 01-12-2015, 11:24 AM

Arlington should have great pay and benefits since they require a bachelor's degree. LOL. I think there are only 7 cities in the state that require a bachelor's degree. Austin is definitely the place to go, but I've heard it's very difficult to get in. Houston is very short on cadets and Dallas will take almost anyone without a criminal record. Their physical agility tests are some of the easiest I've seen.

Old 01-12-2015, 01:44 PM

1,606 posts, read 3,414,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
Arlington should have great pay and benefits since they require a bachelor's degree. LOL. I think there are only 7 cities in the state that require a bachelor's degree. Austin is definitely the place to go, but I've heard it's very difficult to get in. Houston is very short on cadets and Dallas will take almost anyone without a criminal record. Their physical agility tests are some of the easiest I've seen.
Dallas requires at least an Associates Degree I believe and Houston requires 45 college hours. Austin is the place to go. However, it is not a very police friendly city and is known not to have any backing from the administration.

Old 01-12-2015, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabetx View Post
Dallas requires at least an Associates Degree I believe and Houston requires 45 college hours. Austin is the place to go. However, it is not a very police friendly city and is known not to have any backing from the administration.
Dallas requires 45 credits if you're 21 or older. Only those who are under 21 need 60 credits. Houston requires 48 credits. Austin used to require 30 credit hours, but dropped this requirement. I believe Fort Worth used to also have a college credit requirement, but dropped it. Requiring a bachelor's degree like Arlington does is not only rare in Texas, but rare nationwide with only 1% of state and local police departments requiring a bachelor's degree.

Old 01-13-2015, 08:51 PM

733 posts, read 1,047,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
I've been listening to this and feel like the police should adapt to today's world. Most employees survive in a world where health plan benefits are constantly reduced and defined pension benefits are definitely a thing of the past. Why do the police feel like they should get special treatment? I also feel that City Manager Scully is way overpaid.
i wish the cops here would take a cue from NY cops and cut down on the arrests they make. i mean NY isnt falling apart and that place is worse than texas...

makes you wonder just how many police we actually need.

Old 01-14-2015, 04:22 AM

4,248 posts, read 4,166,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
I agree that city employees should all have the same benefits.
When all city employees face the same risks as police officers and firefighters, then they can demand the same pay and benefits as police officers and firefighters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
Compared to the CEOs of USAA and Valero, Sculley's likely way underpaid.
Apples to oranges. Sculley is not a private-sector employee, thus, the comparison is invalid.

I didn't notice Sculley volunteering to take a cut to her massive salary in order to offset what she claims is an unsustainable budget. The woman's a hypocrite.

Old 01-14-2015, 05:13 AM

1,647 posts, read 2,064,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke_TX View Post
When all city employees face the same risks as police officers and firefighters, then they can demand the same pay and benefits as police officers and firefighters.

Apples to oranges. Sculley is not a private-sector employee, thus, the comparison is invalid.

I didn't notice Sculley volunteering to take a cut to her massive salary in order to offset what she claims is an unsustainable budget. The woman's a hypocrite.

Apples to Oranges, since when does risk correspond with compensation? If that were the case, MLB baseball players would make next to nothing and police/fire would make millions.

Old 01-14-2015, 05:24 AM

1,807 posts, read 2,971,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke_TX View Post

What does risk and getting injured on the job have to do with family health insurance? If anything happens to police officers or firefighters on the job they are very well taken care of.

I work in the public sector, get paid about the same of many police officers, and pay about $900 a month for my family's health insurance. Lot I could do with that extra $900 a month!

Old 01-14-2015, 05:38 AM

1,647 posts, read 2,064,500 times
900 a month!! Yikes, I thought mine was bad at 600 for the family. You must have some wonderful plan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio