Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2008, 06:37 PM

2,743 posts, read 14,291,422 times

Advertisements

Is this even possible? Our street is a "shortcut" apparently, for all sorts of people, police, fire dept., etc. I live 2 houses from a stop sign which you'd think would help but it doesn't. Speed limit through here is 30 and people routinely fly through at 40 or more and then either come to a screeching halt at the stop sign or just ignore it and fly right through... police included! It makes me mad. There are kids across the street who ride bikes all the time, and kids 2 houses down and across as well. Oh, and a 4 year old next door, plus ours. I'm not as worried about ours because we have a fenced front yard but my cat was hit (and survived) and the neighbors cat was hit and killed. People need to slow down!

So I think it would help greatly if we had some speed bumps. There are some streets over here with them.. the question is, how do we (as a community) go about getting the city to do this? How would I, as an individual, start working on something like this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2008, 08:11 PM

1,276 posts, read 3,824,279 times
http://www.sanantonio.gov/publicwork...pprocedure.pdf

I remember people in our community a few years ago petitioning for speed bumps, but they wouldn't just put them in. So our HOA did the paperwork (which included getting signatures of all the people who lived right around the proposed area for the bumps), and the city put out those little cables on the road and they had to be driven over a certain number of times in order for them to do it...of course, they weren't driven on enough to get the speed bumps. But we tried...I specifically drove the long way around to get home to purposely drive over that darn thing.

Old 05-31-2008, 08:12 PM

4,323 posts, read 7,228,886 times
Here is a link to the City's Speed Hump Program. It outlines eligibility requirements and how to go about requesting the speed humps.
Title - City of San Antonio

Old 05-31-2008, 08:18 PM

2,743 posts, read 14,291,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
Here is a link to the City's Speed Hump Program. It outlines eligibility requirements and how to go about requesting the speed humps.
Thanks, that was very helpful. I'm afraid this (from the site):

Emergency Services:
Because speed humps have a negative effect on Fire and Emergency Medical Services vehicles, care must be exercised in not locating speed humps on routes where there is relatively frequent use by such vehicles.

...might do us in. Fire trucks use our street very often... sometimes with sirens blazing and sometimes not. Worth a shot though!

Old 05-31-2008, 09:49 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,993,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_flawless View Post
Is this even possible? Our street is a "shortcut" apparently, for all sorts of people, police, fire dept., etc. I live 2 houses from a stop sign which you'd think would help but it doesn't. Speed limit through here is 30 and people routinely fly through at 40 or more and then either come to a screeching halt at the stop sign or just ignore it and fly right through... police included! It makes me mad. There are kids across the street who ride bikes all the time, and kids 2 houses down and across as well. Oh, and a 4 year old next door, plus ours. I'm not as worried about ours because we have a fenced front yard but my cat was hit (and survived) and the neighbors cat was hit and killed. People need to slow down!

So I think it would help greatly if we had some speed bumps. There are some streets over here with them.. the question is, how do we (as a community) go about getting the city to do this? How would I, as an individual, start working on something like this?
Speed bumps are a complete nuisance and waste of $$. people like you will not be satisfied until you remove all conveniences/simplicities from everyday life. what did we ever do all of those years before those speed bumps appeared in EVERY shopping center and neighborhood? many of us do not speed at all, but would like to maintain good shock absorbers on our cars. you can teach your children not to play in the streets as my parents did for us.

Old 05-31-2008, 10:06 PM

4,132 posts, read 7,192,109 times
I agree with wehotex. I'm on South Ellison alot during the week and this street has at least six speed bumps on it between Potranco and Marbach. All I can say is I wouldn't buy a used car in this town. Most people do not even slow up when they go over these things. At times I wish they would have enough radar cars to give tickets to the speeders. It would generate a whole lot of revenue.

Old 05-31-2008, 10:06 PM

791 posts, read 3,958,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
Speed bumps are a complete nuisance and waste of $$. people like you will not be satisfied until you remove all conveniences/simplicities from everyday life. what did we ever do all of those years before those speed bumps appeared in EVERY shopping center and neighborhood? many of us do not speed at all, but would like to maintain good shock absorbers on our cars. you can teach your children not to play in the streets as my parents did for us.
I live in a neighborhood with few children running around, so this is not the issue around here. What IS at issue is the fact that my RESIDENTIAL street happens to be an easy cut-through from Ft. Sam to Broadway for people trying to get to 281 who don't want to drive on a street with stoplights or stopsigns. From 3pm to 6pm, there was nonstop traffic flying by at 40+mph... on a 20mph residential street that most of the time has cars parked on both sides of the street so traffic is down to one lane. There is also a preschool, and many people walking dogs/kids in strollers who need to cross the street. The neighborhood association petitioned for speed bumps, stop signs, etc. and finally after several near accidents the city put in a stop sign one street over, and two speed bumps on this street. That has significantly slowed traffic so there is less danger. We are talking about narrow RESIDENTIAL streets being used as major rush-hour traffic thoroughfares. I have no idea why anyone would oppose speed bumps in a residential neighborhood where speed is a problem.

Old 05-31-2008, 10:10 PM

1,805 posts, read 4,774,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post

well, not to hijack your thread, and certainly not to minimize the seriousness of the topic.... but..... that just sounds funny: speed hump...
LOLOL...
sounds like a quickie.... oh im so bad....

Old 05-31-2008, 11:28 PM

181 posts, read 674,063 times
I agree with Wehotex. Speed humps are so annoying. My neighborhood wanted to put them in, but dh and I along with many others in the neighborhood petitioned not to have them. Our neighborhood has stop signs that no one really stops at. This is the reason why they wanted speed humps. Now police hang out in our neighborhood to make sure everyone stops. From what I've heard from our neighbors there have been many tickets given out.

The Oaks of Sonterra just got the biggest speed humps I've ever seen! They look so ridiculous in such a pretty neighborhood. I have a friend who lives there and she's so upset because they put one right in front of her house. My husband and I were in the neighborhood right after they put the speed humps in and he could barely get his car over the hump without it scraping the bottom of his car. My point is there are other options to slow people down other than putting speed humps in your neighborhood.

Old 05-31-2008, 11:35 PM

1,425 posts, read 3,314,373 times
I hate speed bumps too... very annoying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio