Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2009, 09:08 AM

1,518 posts, read 2,765,860 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
I was actually happy to see something from WOAI that wasn't all hype and fluff.
Heck, I don't blame 'em... they'll probably partly owned by the same company one way or the other, and they were just being purely informative of the changes w/o discussing the issue. But please do look at that 1st Ars link that I posted (as an example). Tell me exactly which part is hype and fluff (minus any statement from TWC)

Quote:
I'm still hoping TWC doesn't go full retard, but am prepared to look elsewhere. I wish there was another option that didn't involve placing an ugly dish on my house or union labor.
No uVerse yet in your area? I chose Earthlink about a month ago just to continue my $30/mo promo rate. They've stated (at least for now) they won't be implementing this draconian tiered policy. I would think it'd be tough for TWC to make 'em if they fought it in court, since in court they'll actually have to provide evidence of their baseless allegations; not so to their customers it seems.

Edit: Hmm... part of me says I shouldn't even be mentioning Earthlink... I'd hate for a good thing to go away sooner than later.

Edit2: The best msg. customers can send to TWC when they implement this obscene price gouging system is to abandon ship in mass droves. If enough people do, they will renege this whole, stupid, technology stifling -- antithesis to progression SCAM. They should be concentrating wholly on rolling out docsis 3.0 subsequently offering customers in these markets 50mbps unlimited down and beyond for less than half of their tentative 'unlimited tier'. Instead, they've going with the opposite approach; rather than put themselves on par with other national cable companies (nevermind being competitive to global standards), they are attempting to capitalize on a lack of competitiveness in select markets and insult to injury... con consumers into believing their baloney based on a lack of understanding on cable HSI's profit structure.

Last edited by tekka-maki; 04-11-2009 at 10:36 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2009, 05:27 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,438,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tekka-maki View Post
Heck, I don't blame 'em... they'll probably partly owned by the same company one way or the other, and they were just being purely informative of the changes w/o discussing the issue. But please do look at that 1st Ars link that I posted (as an example). Tell me exactly which part is hype and fluff (minus any statement from TWC)

No uVerse yet in your area? I chose Earthlink about a month ago just to continue my $30/mo promo rate. They've stated (at least for now) they won't be implementing this draconian tiered policy. I would think it'd be tough for TWC to make 'em if they fought it in court, since in court they'll actually have to provide evidence of their baseless allegations; not so to their customers it seems.

Edit: Hmm... part of me says I shouldn't even be mentioning Earthlink... I'd hate for a good thing to go away sooner than later.
I think you might've misunderstood me. WOAI is the local station that is well known for hyping and fluffing up news. It had nothing to do with this actual story, just their way of going about any news story.
so how do you get Earthlink? I know they used to be offered by TWC, but haven't seen them in forever. What is the speed like and do they still have NG's? RR got rid of NG's, which I found very disappointing.
and I really do not want to support at&t because they are unionized and I have serious issues with unions (I'm from Michigan). However, I may not have much of an option, because I also really don't want to put an ugly dish on my house..

Old 04-11-2009, 10:16 PM

422 posts, read 758,356 times
wow can we start a new thread on this subject

Old 04-11-2009, 10:27 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,178,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tejano2828 View Post
wow can we start a new thread on this subject
Assuming it's a different subject, you don't need anyone's permission to start a thread.

Old 04-11-2009, 10:41 PM

422 posts, read 758,356 times
Well I've been trying to find a website to get a message out to those that are in the "know" on the web I mean like you guys. I've been listening intensely to this debate about TWC and the Bandwidth caps. Do you guys wonder Why they have chosen 3 towns already in Texas to implement this plan. Beaumont, Austin, and now San Antonio? I hear because its of our pathetic local government, citimanagers, mayors, etc. A city manager has to approve of new business practices in his/her city and TWC is one of them. I hear a lot of people on here say this over and over again: only 1% of people will be affected. Bull....How do you know that?

Let me tell you the many ways that you can easily exceed 40GB in internet usage per month.

And I'll also remind you guys that TWC has not said anything about letting certain websites like Xbox live downstream for free, or anyone else, thats called favoritism and other sites like youtube, hulu, and such will not stand for that.

#1 there is Xbox live-parents paly it, kids play it, teenagers play it, sometimes all day, sometimes all month that equals a lot of bandwidth.
#2 youtube if you have 4 or more computers in your house connected to a router and you have teenagers in your house, you can bet they are on youtube downloading massive quantities of bytes.
#3 Itunes
#4 Netflix, gamefly, Steam all these providers offer content that an an average equal around 4-8gb per each movie or game, that's a lot of GIGABYTES.
#5 Hulu, surfthechannel.net, Veoh.net, crunchyroll.com,

and thousands of other sites that we gather all of our video streaming content from, watchfutarama online.com, watchsimpsons.net, allsouthpark.net etc etc etc, a family can easily surpass 40gb or more per month and many more GB's. When I first got time Warner I was promised "UNLIMITED INTERNET" and thats' what I am going to get. Or I will gladly take my business elsewhere. Guys I know you all don't know me but my names Mark and I plan to gather people together this summer and protest against TWC. Other companies are listening intensely on the outcome of what happens.

Comcast already has a stranglehold on it's customers. Do we want to end up like them? first comcast and now TWC...how many other companies follow suit??? grant it Comcast was more lenient towards there usage, TWC is not. My friends don't let these kind of draconian business tactics invade our city. Email our citymanager, call TWC and tell them how pissed you are, sign the petition online. You can email me at marco.cuevas.vento@gmail.com, it will only take a small amount of time out of your schedule in the summer to protest against TWC, and if you can't protest in person then do it with your wallets.

Old 04-11-2009, 10:51 PM

1,518 posts, read 2,765,860 times
Quote:
I think you might've misunderstood me. WOAI is the local station that is well known for hyping and fluffing up news. It had nothing to do with this actual story, just their way of going about any news story.
so how do you get Earthlink? I know they used to be offered by TWC, but haven't seen them in forever. What is the speed like and do they still have NG's? RR got rid of NG's, which I found very disappointing.
and I really do not want to support at&t because they are unionized and I have serious issues with unions (I'm from Michigan). However, I may not have much of an option, because I also really don't want to put an ugly dish on my house..
I'm PMing you.

Old 04-12-2009, 01:33 AM

27 posts, read 83,548 times
Quote:
  • Overage charges will be capped at $75 per month. That means that for $150 per month customers could have virtually unlimited usage at Turbo speeds.
Consumption Based Billing | Time Warner Cable | Corporate

This came directly from their website. I can guarantee you I will leave TW if this new pricing comes true. Im a 21 year dating another 21 yr old and we are always on the internet. Me with school and games, her with school and work. I can easily surpass TW's highest amount of 100 gb in under month so this will not be a viable option for me any longer.

Old 04-12-2009, 06:34 AM

587 posts, read 1,423,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tejano2828 View Post
if you can't protest in person then do it with your wallets.
This is the ONLY way that TWC will change their business practice. If it hurts them financially, they will change.

But the unfortunate truth is that the large majority of their customers, even if they are upset, will sit back and accept it. TWC will make money hand over fist and there's no way they're going to give that up.

I really hope that Verizon offers FIOS in the area soon so that we have other options when we move there.

I wonder how TWC plans to deal with people like us who wouldn't have the luxury of the 3 months to determine what plan we would need. We have NO CLUE how much bandwidth we use each month because we are coming from an area that is serviced by Cox Communications and they don't pull this crap.

So we move there and are just screwed when we start going over right away?

Old 04-12-2009, 08:07 AM

4,360 posts, read 7,276,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by intmd8r View Post
I really hope that Verizon offers FIOS in the area soon so that we have other options when we move there.

So we move there and are just screwed when we start going over right away?
Personally, I'm not optimistic that we'll see Verizon FIOS in the San Antonio area in the foreseeable future, if ever. Currently, FIOS availablity in Texas seems to be concentrated mostly in the Dallas-Fort Worth area.

TWC is a dominant player the San Antonio market. Their services are available virtually city-wide. AT&T DSL is also widely available, and San Antonio was one of the launch cities for U-verse in 2006. U-verse, however, is not available city-wide, and coverage can be spotty in neighborhoods where it is available. Those neighborhoods where U-verse is available are mostly on San Antonio's North Side.

Grande Communications, a regional provider, also offers Cable/Phone/Internet in some parts of San Antonio.

If alternate options for Cable/Phone/Internet are important to you, I would suggest checking for availablity at specific addresses before choosing a place of residence. For example, TW Roadrunner, DSL, U-verse, and Grande, are all available at my house.

Old 04-12-2009, 11:18 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,178,759 times
Quote:
I had Earthlink for a while and except for the flaws in the T-W infrastructure in my neighborhood that caused the entire connection to drop a few hours at a time every few days, the service was fine. Since you already have T-W, you can go through Earthlink's web site to sign up for their service. Once the billing is switched, IIRC you just have to reboot the modem and update the DNS settings on your router.

Earthlink did run their own news servers when I had them, but that was a few years ago. Back then, they had two sets of servers, "east" and "west." Customers were free to use whichever set provided the best connection.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio