Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2015, 01:55 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,993,404 times

Advertisements

11 hours is pretty typical. You'd think as soon as you post bail, you'd be released, but it doesn't work that way. That's not any sort of backlash against the mayor, it's just a very inefficient system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2015, 03:08 PM

1,641 posts, read 2,421,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neshomamench View Post
While I think it probably should not be a crime, there is some technical misinformation on this thread.

It is not "like a speeding ticket" A speeding ticket is a class C misdemeanor. Less that 2oz of weed is a class B misdemeanor. Your first DWI or criminal trespassing would be examples of Class B's.

This is a very important distinction. While you can be jailed for almost all Class C's, in most every case, you are issued a ticket and sent on your way. For a Class B, unless there is a specific exemption, and there are very few, you are arrested and taken to jail.

In the specific case of less than 2 oz of weed in Texas, you CAN be given a ticket and released on scene IF your local political subdivision (the courts and DA) allow it. I am pretty sure Bexar does not.

Once booked into jail, 11 hours is not unreasonable.

Again, just technical info.
Thanks for information. As a non lawyer and somewhat thoughtful person, I would have assumed it was a Class C misdeameanor for the lack of harm it causes.
Maybe it is time to make it an exception. Looks like space is taken up and resources poorly used for a non- event.

Old 07-08-2015, 03:34 PM

6,707 posts, read 8,826,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilGar View Post
Thanks for information. As a non lawyer and somewhat thoughtful person, I would have assumed it was a Class C misdeameanor for the lack of harm it causes.
Maybe it is time to make it an exception. Looks like space is taken up and resources poorly used for a non- event.
What is even more messed up is that if you put 2 oz or less in brownies, cookies or whatever, the officer will weight it all and you could be facing 10 years to life in prison depending how much the total weight comes out to be. This happened to a young kid right up above San Antonio in Georgetown, Tx. (Of course it is Williamson county of all counties)

Teen facing life in prison for pot brownies awaits fate

This is why I say legalize it. It is ridiculous how much time and money goes towards fighting pot related offenses on both sides.

Old 07-08-2015, 04:45 PM

2,721 posts, read 4,411,292 times
Default Great Post,

Thanks for the legal info. This is debatable, the question of whether the possession of small amounts of weed should be decriminalized.
Cal. Chief's of Police believe in decriminalization. The man power hours going into this petty crime are being wasted in trying to eradicate grow sites in the Cal. countryside. These resources can be put to better use in the "war" on harder drugs.
I, do not know, people have always used this drug for thousands of years and the Govt. can't stop this. It is useful for the relief of illness, from all sorts of ills. From Chemotherapy to seizures in children. Depression.
On the other hand it may well be letting the genie out of the bottle, simply another societal vice. Like gossip.
Leave the kid alone , he is already in enough trouble, this is useless, Wil. Gossiping. Taking advantage
of someone's ill fortune for talk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neshomamench View Post
While I think it probably should not be a crime, there is some technical misinformation on this thread.

It is not "like a speeding ticket" A speeding ticket is a class C misdemeanor. Less that 2oz of weed is a class B misdemeanor. Your first DWI or criminal trespassing would be examples of Class B's.

This is a very important distinction. While you can be jailed for almost all Class C's, in most every case, you are issued a ticket and sent on your way. For a Class B, unless there is a specific exemption, and there are very few, you are arrested and taken to jail.

In the specific case of less than 2 oz of weed in Texas, you CAN be given a ticket and released on scene IF your local political subdivision (the courts and DA) allow it. I am pretty sure Bexar does not.

Once booked into jail, 11 hours is not unreasonable.

Again, just technical info.

Old 07-08-2015, 05:17 PM

6,707 posts, read 8,826,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by huckster View Post
Thanks for the legal info. This is debatable, the question of whether the possession of small amounts of weed should be decriminalized.
Cal. Chief's of Police believe in decriminalization. The man power hours going into this petty crime are being wasted in trying to eradicate grow sites in the Cal. countryside. These resources can be put to better use in the "war" on harder drugs.
I, do not know, people have always used this drug for thousands of years and the Govt. can't stop this. It is useful for the relief of illness, from all sorts of ills. From Chemotherapy to seizures in children. Depression.
On the other hand it may well be letting the genie out of the bottle, simply another societal vice. Like gossip.
Leave the kid alone , he is already in enough trouble, this is useless, Wil. Gossiping. Taking advantage
of someone's ill fortune for talk.
What?

Old 07-08-2015, 06:04 PM

Default Legalization,

There is a debate in the Fed. courts, whether or not Colorado's decriminalization is constitutional or not. This is one debate. Decriminalization of weed may be the coming thing. The next step for weed. Everywhere.

Neshomamench writes an entry here " I do not think it should be a crime" the possession of under two ounces of Marijuana. Legalization of Weed ?
This is also the topic which is debatable.
I ask " Ethically, IS legalization the proper thing to do?" Will this decriminalization just give the average citizen a chance for yet another vice and all of the accompanying societal ills that go along with drug and alchohol abuse. The mess could become worse. I think legalization not the proper thing to do but this drug's usage... cannot be stopped.... This drug has pharmacological uses for the treatment of maladies. Physical and psychological.
The California Association of Chiefs of Police advocate for decriminalization of weed. There is an immense waste of time and manpower (money) in eradication efforts across the Cal. countryside. A lot of people grow a lot of Marijuana in the state of California. This wasted money in this war on Marijuana , the California Police Chiefs Assoc. argues, could be used more productively in other law enforcement efforts. It is useless, 90% of the weed grown in California is not even found by law enforcement. So it is a complete waste of time.
Willie Nelson is for legalization.
I do not know if legalization is the proper thing to do or not is what I write...I do not think so, but I may be mistaken. This is a useful drug. This is the debate.

This kid is in enough trouble for weed possession without adding more to it. Let him alone, stop making a spectacle for the sake of talk. I hope he will not be crucified with a crim. record to follow him around
like Poe's Raven...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure110 View Post
What?

Old 07-08-2015, 07:23 PM

894 posts, read 1,556,718 times
“The secret of a good sermon is to have a good beginning and a good ending; and to have the two as close together as possible.”
― George Burns

Old 07-08-2015, 08:06 PM

Default If,

One cannot dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bull****.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustybolt View Post
“The secret of a good sermon is to have a good beginning and a good ending; and to have the two as close together as possible.”
― George Burns

Old 07-08-2015, 09:28 PM

1,690 posts, read 3,631,020 times
Quote:
He was arrested! It's a Class B misdemeanor. Jailing someone for possession of small amounts is a waste of time and money.
This happens all the time in San Antonio, jailing someone for less than 2oz pot, and yes San Antonio is a trailblazer in terms of wasting time and money. That's why I left.

Quote:
11 hours is pretty typical. You'd think as soon as you post bail, you'd be released, but it doesn't work that way. That's not any sort of backlash against the mayor, it's just a very inefficient system.
Yes, I've known those who posted bail but stayed 11 hours. And the jail office workers were horrible to me on the phone, had no concept of how to communicate with the hearing impaired. I can see a lawsuit coming right at San Antonio jail!

Old 07-09-2015, 06:02 AM

4,456 posts, read 5,385,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhugeliang1 View Post
This happens all the time in San Antonio, jailing someone for less than 2oz pot, and yes San Antonio is a trailblazer in terms of wasting time and money. That's why I left.

Yes, I've known those who posted bail but stayed 11 hours. And the jail office workers were horrible to me on the phone, had no concept of how to communicate with the hearing impaired. I can see a lawsuit coming right at San Antonio jail!
It is the Bexar County Jail not the city Jail.

It is my understanding that marihuana laws are passed down from the state that you are still in, so to be mad at a city for following state law seems illogical.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio