Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2015, 11:20 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,123,272 times

Advertisements

https://fiber.google.com/cities/austin/

$130/month for TV and Internet, and $70 for Internet-only in Austin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2015, 11:34 AM

733 posts, read 1,047,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
I can't imagine why anyone currently using TWC or AT&T wouldn't sign up. GFiber is cheaper and faster than both of them.
i would LOVE to sign up, but my current residence is already grande-powered and im already happily chugging along with my 400mb line.

grande said gigabit will be here sometime in the next year or so. the tech that was out here last was really loose with the information. grande is apparently building up the neighborhoods its in first for gigabit speeds. he flat out said 'people in this zip code can afford it is what it comes down too'. im glad, because as soon as its available, im gonna upgrade. my new digs gets a discount on services also since we are grande-exclusive here. no TWC lines at all, only att and grande.

Old 08-05-2015, 11:42 AM

898 posts, read 2,563,842 times
I really hope that they come to my subdivision. AT&T and Time Warner can suck it.

Old 08-05-2015, 12:50 PM

422 posts, read 757,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KM1174 View Post
CPS Energy CEO Beneby says San Antonio has cleared big Google Fiber hurdle - San Antonio Business Journal

sources in the know say this has been known for a while but just now going public since its finalized. late 2016 it should be here, though since i have grande now and have a 400meg pipe, im not THAT concerned about it
As an IT professinal I can tell you 400MB is nothing compared to 1 GBS and you can bet
google has all the prices on all internet options in San Antonio and with their wallet they will
trump everyone get ready

Old 08-05-2015, 01:05 PM

520 posts, read 782,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tejano2828 View Post
As an IT professinal I can tell you 400MB is nothing compared to 1 GBS and you can bet
google has all the prices on all internet options in San Antonio and with their wallet they will
trump everyone get ready
AT&T GigaPower in Austin became very speed/price competitive once Google moved in - price matching Google Fiber, outside competition is usually a good thing.

Old 08-05-2015, 02:03 PM

733 posts, read 1,047,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tejano2828 View Post
trump everyone get ready
yeah buddy, i work in IT also (cisco mainly). however, under 50 a month for a 400 meg line is amazing in the USA. i get it cheaper than others due to a contract grande has with my new digs. not sure if google's gonna be able to beat grande's price for gigabit for my place with the discount i get, but if they will match it, ill switch.

more than happy with grande. my sb6141 is chugging along fine at 200 and the modem im renting from grande (for now) is doing 400, on the same line

Old 08-05-2015, 11:51 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,885,842 times
Here is the press release:
Google's ultra-fast Internet service expands to San Antonio - The Monitor: Business

Get ready for some free T-Shirts, and self-driving cars! I can tell you from our experience in Austin, however, that it is a bit of a slow process.. It's been 2 years and we're just now getting some neighborhoods online. Hopefully that's the only thing slow about Google Fiber.

Old 08-06-2015, 01:00 AM

443 posts, read 955,246 times
It's been three years since Google first started building out their FTTP in Kansas City. I spoke with a local company that's doing the splicing there and they are still building it out. So, depending upon your location, you may have a wait. But, it goes without saying that we can all expect more attractive offers coming our way from already established providers.

Also, anyone considering using Google that is also using Kodi for your TV, especially if you torrent, best look into a VPN. That cheap bandwidth comes at a price in privacy and they do serve notices.

Old 08-07-2015, 03:34 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,123,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapscallion View Post
It's been three years since Google first started building out their FTTP in Kansas City. I spoke with a local company that's doing the splicing there and they are still building it out. So, depending upon your location, you may have a wait. But, it goes without saying that we can all expect more attractive offers coming our way from already established providers.
It's a shame that it took a new competitor spending millions of dollars to get them to improve their offerings.

Old 08-07-2015, 05:59 PM

437 posts, read 639,214 times
How on earth is GVTC going to compete when they offer 1Gb internet for 300 a month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio