Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 07:17 PM

707 posts, read 1,846,064 times

Advertisements

I see that there are a lot of branches, but there's not much info online. Perhaps the website is just not as easy to navigate as I am used to.

Can you order a book from any library to be delivered to the one closest to you?
Can you renew online?

Opinions? Good branches/ones to avoid?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2009, 07:25 PM
djw

951 posts, read 2,835,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miche111e View Post
I see that there are a lot of branches, but there's not much info online. Perhaps the website is just not as easy to navigate as I am used to.

Can you order a book from any library to be delivered to the one closest to you?
Can you renew online?

Opinions? Good branches/ones to avoid?

I'm guessing you are using this site: SAPL Catalog

I find it pretty intuitive, but then, I've never used any other online library catalog. You can search by particular library, or you can search them all then put the item on hold at any library you choose. I've done this several times with no problem. They even send you email reminders when you have books coming due. Once you have your card, I think you have to "register" online for the emails and holds, etc.

Not sure if you can renew online, but last time I checked a book out, they just updated my account right there.

As for branches, I guess it depends on where you live. I use the Guerra branch and find it to be really nice and convenient. They also have book sales every few months!!

Old 01-20-2009, 07:37 PM

874 posts, read 2,894,268 times
Yes, you can place books on hold and have it delivered to the branch you specify. You can also renew online.

I like the library system, but it lags behind library systems I have used elsewhere. In other cities, once a book I placed on hold was "in transit," it usually would end up at my local branch that same day or early the next day - doesn't seem quite as quick here. There don't seem to be as many copies of some newer books as I would expect. Also, in other library systems I have used, they seemed to have books on order/put them up on the website to be placed on hold a couple of months ahead of publication; that does not appear to be the case here (but it might just be for the specific books I want ).

It's hard to suggest good branches/ones to avoid without knowing where you are living. I most often used the Semmes branch and I like it overall. The only problems I have with it are 1) when I go on the weekends, there are usually several kids (upper elementary/middle school) who are not with parents, are running around the library and/or being loud, and staff members don't seem to do anything about it and 2) I think they are understaffed/undervolunteered (not really a word, I know) because even when the online system says a book on hold has been delivered and is available, it sometimes doesn't show up on the hold shelf for another day or so... and there have been a few times when I have been looking for books in a particular aisle and noted books lying about that need to be re-shelved... when I went back 4 to 5 days later, those same books were in the same spot (and I re-shelved them myself).

Good points include subscriptions to a decent variety of databases, kid's catalog online is kind of cool (but could be improved), website has lists of award winners and suggestions of what to read if you like books by X author, most books in the online catalog have links to reviews of the book, some branches have self check-out...

Old 01-20-2009, 07:42 PM

759 posts, read 3,690,146 times
Yes, I sure do! I have been using it a lot more recently. And I find the website pretty easy to use.
I frequent the Brook Hollow Branch...

Old 01-20-2009, 07:59 PM

2,260 posts, read 5,618,137 times
I LOVE the library! Cody is my regular branch, but when it was under construction I went to Igo, which is an absolutely gorgeous building (outside, anyway. It's somewhat uninspiring inside, compared to the outside).

I use the online catalog and am a heavy-duty user of the "hold" system.

When I hear people talk about buying books I always say, "Go to the library!"

Old 01-20-2009, 08:38 PM

905 posts, read 2,960,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaGrace View Post
I LOVE the library! Cody is my regular branch, but when it was under construction I went to Igo, which is an absolutely gorgeous building (outside, anyway. It's somewhat uninspiring inside, compared to the outside).

I use the online catalog and am a heavy-duty user of the "hold" system.

When I hear people talk about buying books I always say, "Go to the library!"
Ditto, LindaGrace! I must be the other one at Cody putting everything on hold!

Have you ever tried the inter-library loan program?

Old 01-20-2009, 09:55 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,116,197 times
I use Inter-Library Loan a few times a year and the regular hold program at least monthly. It usually takes a few weeks (or months) to get things you request, so it's a test of one's patience. Considering that it doesn't cost me anything to use it, that makes it easy for me to be patient.

Most of the older branches have been through renovation in the last 5 years, thanks to a bond issue approved by the voters about 5 years back.

As far as branches to avoid, I'm fairly certain that the Cody branch has the most poorly designed parking lot of any public building in the city, but the library is fine.

Old 01-20-2009, 11:00 PM

905 posts, read 2,960,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
As far as branches to avoid, I'm fairly certain that the Cody branch has the most poorly designed parking lot of any public building in the city, but the library is fine.

I can't figure out why they put the book drop where it is. If you are the only one in the vehicle, you have to drive in and turn around to use it. Otherwise, you have to go around the block and come in the back way. I guess that was the only place they could figure to place it, but it almost seems like an afterthought. It's close by, so I guess I'll just deal with it!! Heck, most of the time I have to go in and pick up another book or two or five that were on hold!

Old 01-21-2009, 08:07 AM

616 posts, read 2,084,093 times
I use the Landa branch, which is in a beautiful historic home in Monte Vista designed and built by the Kellwood Company in the 1920s, and is surrounded by the Landa Gardens, which are a new series of gardens and playground facilities that were only recently opened. I highly recommend this branch, especially if you have young children, because you can go to the library and go to the playground all on the same grounds.

Landa Gardens Conservancy

Old 01-21-2009, 08:23 AM

260 posts, read 1,136,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffy888 View Post
There don't seem to be as many copies of some newer books as I would expect. Also, in other library systems I have used, they seemed to have books on order/put them up on the website to be placed on hold a couple of months ahead of publication; that does not appear to be the case here (but it might just be for the specific books I want ).
This is my only gripe with the library system here - not a major one, but new release books aren't listed in the catalog until a few days AFTER they've been released. I have to check the online catalog hourly for a few days to hope to get a hold on one before the line grows huge...

But overall the library here is great. It's nice to have the shared catalog and have the item you place on hold delivered to your local branch. There's a good selection of audio/video/books on tape or CD... and there's even e-books and downloadable audio books available through the catalog website. The web interface isn't state of the art, but it's definitely on par with most other library systems I've used.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio