Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2015, 09:40 AM

359 posts, read 773,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure110 View Post
Why must some people always drag children into conversations like this to elicit some kind of reaction? This is about DOGS, not KIDS.

Exactly. The OP has a legit complaint. His method of handling it is unorthodox. There are a lot of good suggestions in this thread - particularly, Trappers. I'm no animal lover, but I respect life and wouldn't hurt an animal based on principal. I am a kid lover and its asinine to correlate the two.

Old 09-18-2015, 09:59 AM

6,707 posts, read 8,780,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa dave View Post
Exactly. The OP has a legit complaint. His method of handling it is unorthodox. There are a lot of good suggestions in this thread - particularly, Trappers. I'm no animal lover, but I respect life and wouldn't hurt an animal based on principal. I am a kid lover and its asinine to correlate the two.
When I was a teenager, I used to work for a greyhound trainer (this was over 20 years ago)....many of them could not get adopted out when they got hurt or too old for racing and they would be put to sleep with a single gunshot to the head. It was the only job function of the whole operation that I wanted no part of.

It was disturbing to witness and I am not particularly a dog lover. It just made me sad to see an animal die like that while having no fear of humans. Poor dogs never saw it coming.

Old 09-18-2015, 05:10 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,879,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa dave View Post
Buy a dog silencer.
Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Dog Silencer Pro Ultimate Pack#

I understand there are some that look like birdhouses and will quiet animals from several yards out.
I bought one before, not the one in the link but a different brand that claimed to do the same, and it didn't work. It made a noise that my kids could hear and which was unpleasant to them, but the dogs ignored it.

One of my neighbors has a dog that will bark nonstop all night if it's rainy or colder than 50 degrees outside. It's not a bad dog otherwise, but there are some nights when I'm just tired, cold or rainy weather makes me hurt, and listening to the dog bark all night is not pleasant. My neighbor is a cop so there's no point calling the cops on her, she will know who called, she will not do anything, and she will try to make life unpleasant for whoever tells on her. We learned this when she was ignoring the flashing red lights on the school bus every day...I guess the kids were getting home at the same time she was leaving for work and she couldn't plan ahead enough to leave a few minutes early, so she'd zoom around the school bus and the kids who were crossing the street. So she's consistently inconsiderate. Her dog barking all night is just another area where she's inconsiderate, of the neighbors but especially of the dog.

Dogs are pack animals and they want to be inside with the rest of their pack. They're just as good about barking when they're in the house for the night. Most of the reasons people have for not bringing the dog in for the night are problems with the owner, not the dog...not trained enough to be in the house, problem with the owner. Too many fleas or ticks to come in the house, problem with the owner. No crate, if the dog needs to be crated...problem with the owner. The real problem is that people get a dog and assume it's just a four-legged alarm that will work as long as they give it food and water regularly, but many people who will leave the dog out 24 hours a day will also ignore the dog's medical, physical and social needs, which leads to the barking problem.

So basically, Soviet, if you shot the neighbor's dog, they would just end up getting another dog and neglect it's care and training and it would end up with the same barking problem, while you would probably end up with legal troubles.

Trapper's suggestion about treats is a good one if the dog is only barking at you when you go outside, but if the dog is just barking because it's miserable, giving it treats and talking to it through the fence so it gets used to you won't help.

Old 09-19-2015, 05:16 AM

1,012 posts, read 1,120,016 times
I guess we discovered one useful function for an HOA.

Old 09-19-2015, 07:02 AM

191 posts, read 447,720 times
If someone shot my dog, I would shoot them! Glad you are NOT my neighbor. Fortunately, I only let mine continuously bark in the day time and they sleep inside.

Old 09-19-2015, 11:18 AM

1,647 posts, read 2,063,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwcavazos View Post
If someone shot my dog, I would shoot them! Glad you are NOT my neighbor. Fortunately, I only let mine continuously bark in the day time and they sleep inside.
No, you wouldn't.

They shouldn't be continuously barking anytime.

If I were your neighbor, and I happened to work nights, I'm afraid your dog would "disappear" one day.

Old 09-19-2015, 11:27 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,116,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashfearless View Post
I guess we discovered one useful function for an HOA.
HOAs can't usually fix this. I've heard attorneys say that the best legal remedy is for homeowners to file civil lawsuits against their neighbors and try to collect damages.

Old 09-19-2015, 11:33 AM

432 posts, read 523,621 times
People can react very badly to someone harming their cat or dog. Leave them alone.

Old 09-19-2015, 11:39 AM

1,647 posts, read 2,063,686 times
No they wouldn't. If the dog is a nuisance..and the owner has been talked to over and over with no results. That pet is gone.

Old 09-19-2015, 12:43 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,774,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KM1174 View Post
guns are too loud. chocolate and antifreeze are your friends.

/do your worst, i hate barking mutts and the idiots that keep them
By far the best post on here!

Constantly barking dogs are stupid dogs. Owners of constantly barking dogs are stupid people so obviously the two go hand in hand together.

Furthermore, to suggest one needs mental help because of their frustration to the point of wanting to do whatever to silence the continuously never ending bark, bark, bark is borderline insanity in itself.

Regardless of why the dog barks non-stop (be it lack of attention or whatever), the fact is, the dog does bark, bark, bark. A smart dog does not bark, bark, bark because of lack of attention, only the dumb dogs do that. A stupid dog that barks at the wind and everything else is totally useless and extremely irritating, like a never stop dripping (drip, drip, drip) water faucet, only many times louder. The barks, barks, barks, grate, grate, grate on a normal person's nerves to the point of wanting to pull their hair out, scream, run naked through the street. It is nothing short of a Chinese torture, if you will.

For a person who is not experiencing this torture on a daily, non-stop basis to be so naive (or just completely stupid themselves) as to suggest the one who is experiencing the torture and has been driven to the point of taking any measures, extreme or not, to just be able to end the torture, well, obviously think what you will, it's a waste of time to explain it to you. I would say, one day you might be experiencing the same problem, but you might be one of those dumb clods who just stumble through life oblivious to any and everything around you. Hey, no problem, I sometimes envy you and wish I could be so brain dead myself.

Soviet, I would say don't do anything that can come back to you and get yourself in trouble (and doing the humane thing of shooting the poor, dumb dog would land you in big-time trouble with the law). [Mod cut: keep this kind of advice to yourself]

Last edited by elnina; 09-29-2015 at 05:46 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio