Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2015, 11:25 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,928,902 times

Advertisements

I've been a Discount Tire customer for close to 30 years now. Yeah, they won't fix certain penetrations of the tire but consider this, if they fix a tire and then you maybe being an idiot run out and see how fast your car goes, blow that tire and kill yourself because your a dumb a$$, your family is going to sue Discount Tire. That's a hypothetical scenario but there have been morons that will do just that. You get to see the same dimwits when it rains- the clowns running 80 down the expressway cutting in and out of traffic like they thought they were NASCAR drivers. Seems we've imported quite a number of these lately but catch my drift as to why they wouldn't fix the tire. Yokohama tires I have bought a bunch over the years. They are heads above any Michelin on the road. They are quiet, ride great, handle great in wet and dry, and unlike a Michelin or a Goodluck tire, they don't get hard as bricks as they age. So don't be afraid to buy a Yoko tire, they are a fabulous tire and they won't break the bank. Yes, Discount will try to sell you certificates for warranty against most anything. I buy them. Why? Because you never know in this town that never sweeps the streets what you might run over. Like I tell the guys when they ask me about certificates- these tires are your problem, sell me the certificates. I've used them several times over the years and it was never a hassle. If I have a flat, I go there, hand them the envelop with the certificates and tell them- fix it. And they do. Works for me for several decades now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2015, 04:31 AM

6,707 posts, read 8,780,002 times
Yokohama is not a bad tire at all but to say they are "heads above any Michelin tire or Goodyear tire" is going to be your own opinion and not fact.

Old 10-06-2015, 06:23 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,879,364 times
I buy the tire warranties too, we don't have the best of luck with tires. One time my husband ran over a drill on 1604, not a drill bit but the whole drill, and that made a huge hole in the tire, right after we'd bought them. We had the road hazard coverage from Walmart and they insisted they were going to patch it rather than replace it, even though it was too big to patch. We called the Walmart across town where we'd bought our tires for the last 10 years (before we moved) and they said they'd replace it, so we limped the car across town on the donut spare and got it fixed.

After that, we switched to Discount tire. I have had no complaints with their service or their warranties, other than the length of time it takes them to do the work.

Old 10-06-2015, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post

After that, we switched to Discount tire. I have had no complaints with their service or their warranties, other than the length of time it takes them to do the work.
How long does it usually take them to work on your car? Just curious.

Old 10-06-2015, 07:01 AM

7,130 posts, read 11,838,269 times
For me, average is about 45 minutes to 1:15......YMMV.

Old 10-06-2015, 07:09 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,879,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure110 View Post
The most memorable time took 6 or 7 hours. I had to get someone to pick up my daughter from school because I never dreamed that it would take that long to get it done. I went in at 10, figuring that would be plenty of time because I didn't have to pick her up until 2:45. I had chrome wheels on the truck and just wanted new tires put on those, but when they took the tires off, they said the chrome wheels were corroded and had to be replaced. I bought wheels from them, but they had to have one delivered from another location. They said that would take about an extra hour, so two hours total. Then when they put on what they said would fit my truck, the tires rubbed on the body of the truck, so they had to change them for smaller tires. Then they only had three tires and had to bring another one from somewhere else. I finally got out of there about 5.

The last time I had something done (2 tires on my van) it only took 2 hours and I considered myself lucky.

Old 10-06-2015, 07:11 AM

443 posts, read 954,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
^^^ What do you mean... they refuse? If you want them on the front, you TELL them put the tires on the front. Will that void the warranty of the tires or their work ? No! So, insist to mount the tires where YOU want them to be, even if they think it's NOT safe, and you believe in old myths. (You might have to sign a waiver)
Or take the tires and install them on the front in some shady car garage

I understand their standpoint: if new tires were purchased or installed on the front of the vehicle, the installer of these tires could be legally negligent and responsible for all injuries suffered in such accident.

Here is an explanation you may, or may not agree with:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=52
When Buying Two Tires Instead of Four, Place the Two New Tires on the Rear - Tire Safety Group
https://goo.gl/QOlO68

Here is a Discount Tire disclaimer:
We will beat competitors' delivered non-sale regular pricing (sale, clearance & closeout pricing not applicable). The retailer must be an authorized reseller of the product and selling it through their own, non-auction channel. Applies to In-Stock product only. We reserve the right to decline any price match request under our own discretion.

If their lawyers don't want them placing the tires I've paid for where I want them on my car, fine. My thought is that I should be able to, as a reasonable consenting adult, sign an indemnity agreement to free them from liability and have them installed any which way I choose.

They can provide any studies they wish, but I've had more than my share of real world experience and don't agree. There may be instances, and driver proficiency is a factor, but I'd rather have a flat on the rear, and balding tires on the front is never a good thing.

To the credit of the location on San Pedro, the manager worked a deal with the lube shop next door and Discount Tire installed the tires, I drove it next door and they switched them. Idiotic, but I got what I wanted.

In my experience, they've always beaten the price that I've given them and I've gotten the tires cheaper than any place in town. My experience has been with Michelin tires.

Old 10-06-2015, 07:14 AM

443 posts, read 954,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure110 View Post

I've found it worthwhile to give them a call to check how far they are running out.

Old 10-06-2015, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapscallion View Post
I've found it worthwhile to give them a call to check how far they are running out.
Agreed. I think you can also make appointments online too but no idea how that works since DTC did not do that while I worked there.

Old 10-06-2015, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
The most memorable time took 6 or 7 hours. I had to get someone to pick up my daughter from school because I never dreamed that it would take that long to get it done. I went in at 10, figuring that would be plenty of time because I didn't have to pick her up until 2:45. I had chrome wheels on the truck and just wanted new tires put on those, but when they took the tires off, they said the chrome wheels were corroded and had to be replaced. I bought wheels from them, but they had to have one delivered from another location. They said that would take about an extra hour, so two hours total. Then when they put on what they said would fit my truck, the tires rubbed on the body of the truck, so they had to change them for smaller tires. Then they only had three tires and had to bring another one from somewhere else. I finally got out of there about 5.

The last time I had something done (2 tires on my van) it only took 2 hours and I considered myself lucky.
You must have been at one of the smaller and older (4 bay) stores that did not hold as much inventory and depends on other stores that carry more inventory that have more than 4 bays.

I don't think they build 4 bay stores anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio