Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 10:31 PM

152 posts, read 673,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by franklin9150 View Post
I need to call and find out. When I put my address in the availability checker, it says that it is not. If I put the address of the house next door, it is available. I wonder if it is because it is a new house, and the only service that has ever been used is TWC.

Just call them and have them check if it will work at your address. It all has to do with how far away you are from your neighborhood ATT box. It will be a somewhat large box with what looks like a power meter on the side and a large vent on one side as well. Mine wasn't showing up through their website either, but I called and it was available. It seems like half the people in our neighborhood have gotten U-Verse. When the contractors came out to disconnect TWC(showed up at about 9pm) they said they had 7 more to do in the area.

We have had it for a couple of months now and we really like it. I haven't had a single minute of down time on either TV or internet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2008, 06:41 AM

1,066 posts, read 3,694,284 times
I've had U-verse for about 15 months.. The internet has never gone down or lost a connection...NEVER.
The tv went down once...during a national outage. Otherwise it works perfect.
As for customer service...I wouldn't know, I have never had to call in for anything.

I pay about $20 less than I did with TW and I have more boxes and a DVR, not to mention, it has more channels, better picture quality, and way cooler interface than TW - but it sounds like you already know it.

Old 01-31-2008, 07:04 AM

82 posts, read 546,047 times
We just switched to U-Verse and love it. My husband loves that you can set the dvr from your phone or computer. We hated TWC (we had them in NYC also and they were much worse there..if you can believe that!).

No problems so far with U-Verse.

Old 01-31-2008, 07:27 AM

470 posts, read 1,952,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
How did your bill jump $20? what did they add to your bill?
It was another "billing error".

Old 01-31-2008, 09:12 AM

10 posts, read 30,117 times
I have U-Verse...Two receivers, one with DVR, plus 3 Mbps web access, for less than $100 (granted, we don't have any of the movie channels because they all suck, but we do have the Latino channel pack).

We love it!

Old 01-31-2008, 10:04 AM

490 posts, read 1,094,954 times
I have had U-Verse for over a year and aside from the occasional issue, I really like it.

They are moving quickly and introducing features at a faster rate then the cable companies ever have, so if you like to be on the leading edge it may be especially appealing.

Like most I have experienced the billing hell that is TWC, including a cable bill that is never the same for more then one month!

Old 02-01-2008, 08:07 PM

126 posts, read 425,285 times
For those of you who have U-verse how do they wire your house for it? Do they use your existing cable lines or do they have to run new wires to your TV and router? Also does anyone know if they have a TV/Internet/PHONE package? It looks like I could save some money over TWC but the savings would be lost if I have to switch back to a standard $42 a month phone line (plus long distance)...

Old 02-01-2008, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDogsTX View Post
For those of you who have U-verse how do they wire your house for it? Do they use your existing cable lines or do they have to run new wires to your TV and router? Also does anyone know if they have a TV/Internet/PHONE package? It looks like I could save some money over TWC but the savings would be lost if I have to switch back to a standard $42 a month phone line (plus long distance)...
I don't think they have a 3-in-1 package that includes phone (yet!). I do recommend you consider Vonage as an option. I will, once I make the switch from TWC. Back in NY, I used Vonage for 8 years with zero issues. The audio quality was actually better than my landline, and their customer service was top notch. There's no fine print, no contracts, and they offer tons of features; one of which allows you to forward house calls to another number.

Vonage costs around $25 for unlimited. They have a 500 minutes monthly package for $15.

Old 02-01-2008, 09:23 PM
cwh

345 posts, read 945,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDogsTX View Post
They will attempt to use you current wiring. If it is not good enough they will pull new wire.

They dont have a true triple play yet, but they have started deploying the u-voice in the Detroit market. You will however get a $5 discount off your normal pots line.

Old 02-01-2008, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwh View Post
They will attempt to use you current wiring. If it is not good enough they will pull new wire.

They dont have a true triple play yet, but they have started deploying the u-voice in the Detroit market. You will however get a $5 discount off your normal pots line.
Yikes, I hope they don't have to add cabling in my home. Should this be expected even with new homes?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio