Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2015, 03:42 PM

1,647 posts, read 2,064,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweethomeSanAntonio View Post
Premium cities have premium ammenties like world class museums, major league sports, symphony orchestras, well known zoo's, etc. Austin is a great city with a lot to be proud of but grouping it with the likes of those bigger cities is crazy.
Therein lies the rub, I said it's creeping up and moving in that direction. It's not lumped in there yet. Please don't twist the words to fit into your agenda.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2015, 03:51 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,840,234 times
I always find it amusing when folks attempt to come into someone else's house and belittle it while talking up the charms of another. Have you ever considered that what you consider "hip" and "edgy", others find dumb and outlandish? I've spent many an hour in Austin, and find that the "ghetto" areas to be found in SA to be far better off than what I see in Austin.

And try moving about in Austin - if a mouse farts downtown, 35 goes into gridlock for hours! It's a podunk town that tries to be a big city, yet they can't even think far enough ahead to design roadways to handle even the most basic traffic requirements. The fools that walk around, pronouncing themselves to be "hip" and "chic" are nothing more than wanna-be's in any REAL large city......and what passes as a "music scene" there is a joke any more. It WAS once decent - but the posers took over.

Old 11-05-2015, 04:18 PM

2,382 posts, read 3,503,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
I always find it amusing when folks attempt to come into someone else's house and belittle it while talking up the charms of another. Have you ever considered that what you consider "hip" and "edgy", others find dumb and outlandish? I've spent many an hour in Austin, and find that the "ghetto" areas to be found in SA to be far better off than what I see in Austin.

And try moving about in Austin - if a mouse farts downtown, 35 goes into gridlock for hours! It's a podunk town that tries to be a big city, yet they can't even think far enough ahead to design roadways to handle even the most basic traffic requirements. The fools that walk around, pronouncing themselves to be "hip" and "chic" are nothing more than wanna-be's in any REAL large city......and what passes as a "music scene" there is a joke any more. It WAS once decent - but the posers took over.
You hit the nail on the head.
Austin WAS a really cool place to be back in the 70's and early 80's. Now it's an overcrowded, overhyped, yuppie hipster wannabe city.
It's a shame, because Austin does have some beautiful places to see, but I find myself laughing at people trying to hard to fit in while driving up there.

Old 11-05-2015, 04:39 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,040,309 times
Once you're out of the city core of Austin, you could be in Anywhere, USA. It's really not all that.

Old 11-06-2015, 06:53 AM

2,721 posts, read 4,392,627 times
Default Austin is lame now too,

I also have experienced that traffic mess which downtown Austin can become during rush hour.
I-35 now is ridiculously inadequate alright. From a population of 180,000 in the sixties, grown to its' present size it is in need of roads infrastructure upgrade very,very badly. It was Poduk then and now is merely Podunk overgrown. Difficult to expand with the way I-35 was built. Insufficient planning?

It has outgrown itself and is absurd now.
The Capitol is beautiful and the LBJ Library is incredible. It can be great and beautiful city with some upgrades to bring it into the 21st century.

It is Podunk Tx, alright, however Austin has achieved fame from merely being modern-dumb, hip and outlandish. Lame or not. Like San Antonio it is "different". Like San Antonio but always one step behind, Austin has now become lame, too.
Keep Austin lame.
Whod've thunk millions of people would very soon relocate to the Austin metro area back in the sixties ?
Dallas and Houston were always the destination, now it is Austin .
QUOTE=TexasRedneck;41823531]I always find it amusing when folks attempt to come into someone else's house and belittle it while talking up the charms of another. Have you ever considered that what you consider "hip" and "edgy", others find dumb and outlandish? I've spent many an hour in Austin, and find that the "ghetto" areas to be found in SA to be far better off than what I see in Austin.

And try moving about in Austin - if a mouse farts downtown, 35 goes into gridlock for hours! It's a podunk town that tries to be a big city, yet they can't even think far enough ahead to design roadways to handle even the most basic traffic requirements. The fools that walk around, pronouncing themselves to be "hip" and "chic" are nothing more than wanna-be's in any REAL large city......and what passes as a "music scene" there is a joke any more. It WAS once decent - but the posers took over.[/quote]

Old 11-07-2015, 02:49 PM

50 posts, read 54,289 times
I've only visited SA a few times and am considering moving there. In terms of traffic, I was told that it's really bad in SA too. I was told that the commute from The Dominion area to USAA could take 50 minutes in rush hour. I was shocked.

Old 11-07-2015, 02:53 PM

Why would you be shocked? This is a big city, with a lot of people living here, and growing. Of course there will be growing pains. We have traffic just like other cities...some worse, some better. Look on Google Maps Monday morning and plug that route in around rush hour...it'll give you the time that it'll take. Do the same in the afternoon. I honestly don't know, as I don't have a commute...but it doesn't sound beyond the realm of possibility.

Old 11-07-2015, 03:15 PM

Google Maps suggests around 25 minutes. SA doesn't seem like a big city, which is why it shocked me. It's not a big city. Isn't it around the 25th biggest metro?

Old 11-07-2015, 03:27 PM

Yes, but the city population is like #7. That's where your route is, no? Did you run Google maps at rush hour? it'll give you the run time..at that particular time.

Old 11-07-2015, 03:48 PM

I did thanks.

Anyway, the metro population matters as that's a real measure of size, whereas city limits is arbitrary.

Atlanta and Boston have much smaller city limit populations than Charlotte, but their metro pops are more than double Charlotte's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio