Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 11:01 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,395,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
I think that what RD is referring to is the traffic and LACK of roadway to accomodate that those that have been here a while have noticed. 2 years ago, the traffic was not 1/3 of what it is now, and those of us that have seen this unchecked growth wonder what 2 yrs down the road holds.

We were going to move from Westcreek to Del Webb...but the turn around on 151/1604 to get into AR or the choice of going down Culebra outside the 1604 interchange has made us rethink for the time being.

I am sure that once the 151/1604 interchange is complete AND they have all that expansion work done on Culebra outside 1604, things will be much better.
That's pretty much where I'm coming from. I moved to Westcreek in June 2001, so I've seen that area go from a small intersection and some trees hiding a walmart to what it is now. I guess that makes it seem a lot worse than it is, or I just don't like any traffic at all. It isn't totally awful over there, but it definitely has become MUCH worse over the years.. I definitely wouldn't want to live there if I worked 9-5, but then again I would never want to work 9-5..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2008, 06:15 AM

394 posts, read 1,506,573 times
Thanks everyone for the clarification. It definitely gives a different perspective based upon what one is accustomed to. Where we live now we have drug stores/groceries (Walmart) close, but other shopping (i.e. malls) is 20 (+) minutes away. And, traffic is pretty heavy on the road we exit to from our subdivision. I don't commute as I work from home, but DH does and currently it's 20+ minutes (without accidents tying up traffic etc). When we made the decision to build in AR we did so with the understanding that DH's commute would definitely be longer than it is now.

We were thinking the widening of Culebra running alongside one of the entrances to AR would improve once it's complete. Anyone know what the projected completion date is?

Old 02-06-2008, 06:55 AM

410 posts, read 1,249,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KY Filly View Post
Thanks everyone for the clarification. It definitely gives a different perspective based upon what one is accustomed to. Where we live now we have drug stores/groceries (Walmart) close, but other shopping (i.e. malls) is 20 (+) minutes away. And, traffic is pretty heavy on the road we exit to from our subdivision. I don't commute as I work from home, but DH does and currently it's 20+ minutes (without accidents tying up traffic etc). When we made the decision to build in AR we did so with the understanding that DH's commute would definitely be longer than it is now.

We were thinking the widening of Culebra running alongside one of the entrances to AR would improve once it's complete. Anyone know what the projected completion date is?
If memory serves me, and it probably doesn't, I think it's supposed to be done around the same time you are moving in, around mid-June, same time as ARM is supposed to open.

Where does your husband work? I work on Kelly USA and my commute is about 18 minutes for no traffic to 30/35 minutes for heavy traffic. I never take Culebra though, just 1604 to the turn around at Wiseman, although the college students screw up that turn around sometimes.

I'm also hoping once 151 is done, going over 1604, there is a different way for the Wachovia people to get to work. I just think it is very bad design to put the entrance on the on-ramp from 1604 to 151.

Old 02-06-2008, 07:51 AM

343 posts, read 1,305,527 times
We used to live by Bandera road and Mainland. The traffic there was terrible.

Since moving to AR, it is so much better. I would rather deal with the traffic at AR than Bandera Rd.

Old 02-06-2008, 07:59 AM

470 posts, read 1,952,871 times
Even though you have to deal with the bottlenecks at Culebra and 1604, there's still a good amount of access into Alamo Ranch at this time:

- Alamo Ranch Parkway
- Westwood Loop
- Lone Star Parkway
-recently opened
- Alamo Parkway
- Roft Road

Once Culebra's expansion and the 1604-to-Alamo Ranch Parkway projects are complete, this should provide lots of relief.

Old 02-06-2008, 08:07 AM

343 posts, read 1,305,527 times
Man, you're giving away all the good uncongested routes.

Old 02-06-2008, 08:09 AM

470 posts, read 1,952,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yosoyway View Post
Man, you're giving away all the good uncongested routes.
Sssshhh, don't say it too loud.

Old 02-06-2008, 08:34 PM

260 posts, read 1,145,244 times
Heard back from Galo properties when I asked them about some of their AR land for sale at the corner of AR Parkway and Westwood Loop (where the Broadway Bank sign is):

". . . the property at Alamo Ranch is currently under contract. We had been in communication with a health club but have no finalization on it. The current buyers have until the middle of the month when their feasibility is up but have allowed us to continue to work on contract negotiations. The plans for the hospital are no longer in the works, there is actually a hospital that is planned for the other side of 1604/151. Part of the land that shows the campus is now under contract for a multi-family project."

That Houlihan's is listed on the latest Realta update from late January as still being a done deal in the AR retail center. Being late January unless you have a better source, it looks like Houlihan's is still going to happen.

Old 02-06-2008, 08:50 PM

218 posts, read 336,852 times
I figured there wouldn't be a hospital in Alamo Ranch as there are three under construction within very close proximity to AR with one of the three just across 1604.

Old 02-06-2008, 09:32 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,395,601 times
The menu for Houlihan's looks excellent to me. Almost everything looks good. I hope they move in and I need to check out some of these back routes.. is there a way in from West Creek without touching Potranco or 1604?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio