Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2008, 01:26 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,036,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalfish View Post
some of you guys are absoltue morons. This is jsut like the thread about the easside being bad. You guys generalize and are so quick too label.
Did you read the thread? Just about everyone is agreeing that one drug bust does not a ghetto make.

Old 02-16-2008, 01:32 PM

355 posts, read 1,375,317 times
NO i was so irritated by the original post i didnt even finish reading the thread. Soory! Im glad there are people with some sense on here though.

Old 02-16-2008, 01:50 PM

218 posts, read 336,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hello13685 View Post
Stone Oak is still pretty nice, but these neighborhoods definitely do have their downward spirals. When I drive along Fredericksburg Road, just south of the Crossroads Mall, I try to imagine when that was new and stylish. It's really hard to do but I'm sure it was hip in the 70's.
Frederickerburg Road south of Crossroads was never hip or stylish in the 70's.

Old 02-16-2008, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primo View Post
I partly agree with this. It is just the progression of the city. 20 years ago. Clark and Churchill were the richest, lilly-white schools in the city. Everyone wanted to live in those areas, this was the stone oak of its day (But better, traffic wasn't as bad). Everyone wanted to move into those neighborhoods and all the shopping center were new and hip. Now....everything has moved 10-20 miles out to Stone Oak. In 20 years, yes there will probably be drive bys in stone oak. And the only nice area will be Boerne.
I remember when everything up and down Wurzbach I-10 area was all super nice and new...Huebner and DeZavala were still woods and cattle. Now DeZavala is the new Wurzbach....in 5 years La Cantera parkway will be the new DeZavala.

And I am not saying Clark and Churchill areas are bad or ghetto, they are just not brand new anymore. And before you know it Stoneoak will not be brand new. And all the HOA and their rules will not stop the apartments from moving into the surrounding areas and and start to degrade the school quality. It happend to Clark and Churchill and will happen to Reagan.
Why ghetto-gangster-lowlifes are moving into the Far Northside ruining it, I have no idea. Go be ghetto in your ghetto area.
For instance, the neighborhood I live in, is 20 years old, all custom homes, every lawn is professionally landscaped, the houses range from $300K-$600K, but the developer built 2 very nice duplexes/townhomes for himself as rental property tucked away in one corner. There was always nice retired people living there until about 5 years ago. Now...these lowlifes have been moving in, they are parking on the lawn, pile their garbage up in front lawn, because they don't undertand the automated garbage system. THey have these cholo kids in wife-beaters. Can't these ghetto-idiots take a look at their surrounds and look at themselves and determine they do not fit in or belong? Why do lowlifes like that move to the Northside to ruin it?
Our neighborhood never saw a need for a HOA, and we still don't need one, we just need a bulldozer to take out 2 duplexes.
Oh god please. No real surprise you would take SMU's slandering, over sensationalizing post and actually add on to it as if it were a serious matter.

Old 02-16-2008, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smuboy86 View Post
On this board, stone oak is held up as the end all be all, where everyone strives to live. Where everyone is anglo and no crime happens. This maybe one incident, but I have a feeling that it's just the start. This wasn't a small time guy.
I'm not sure if you actually believe that Stone Oak is 100% anglo, it's actually not. A fair deal of blacks and asians live in the Stone Oak area as well as around 5,000 Mexican nationals.

Old 02-16-2008, 02:22 PM

1,066 posts, read 3,694,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michelangelosa View Post
Frederickerburg Road south of Crossroads was never hip or stylish in the 70's.
Actually it was, when Wonderland mall opened in the late 60's...that was the far far northern suburbs. That was the fanciest Handy Andy in all of San Antonio (Central Park Handy Andy became the best - who can forget the fresh french bread).

That area all along Fred road from the I-10/Jefferson area to Wonderland was nice. The Jefferson area homes near Fredricksburg(present day Art deco area) were the biggest and most expensive outside of Alamo Heights and Monte Vista. Northwest Center was the La Cantera of its day. You were "uptown" if you shopped at the "Little Pennys". It would be safe to assume you don't even know where Inspiration Lane/Pointe is....That neighborhood real estate was some of the most sought after when it was developed because of it's views of the city.

Old 02-16-2008, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primo View Post
Actually it was, when Wonderland mall opened in the late 60's...that was the far far northern suburbs. That was the fanciest Handy Andy in all of San Antonio (Central Park Handy Andy became the best - who can forget the fresh french bread).

That area all along Fred road from the I-10/Jefferson area to Wonderland was nice. The Jefferson area homes near Fredricksburg(present day Art deco area) were the biggest and most expensive outside of Alamo Heights and Monte Vista. Northwest Center was the La Cantera of its day. You were "uptown" if you shopped at the "Little Pennys". It would be safe to assume you don't even know where Inspiration Lane/Pointe is....That neighborhood real estate was some of the most sought after when it was developed because of it's views of the city.
It wasn't hip or stylish, that was the point. I have relatives that live in that area now that lived there in the 50's as children. It was a nice area (and still is today in some areas) but hip, trendy, upscale, stylish it wasn't.

Old 02-16-2008, 04:23 PM

378 posts, read 1,442,441 times
Quote:
Firstly, this didn't even take place in Stone Oak. Secondly, I saw the news video. The guy was living in a really nice house, with really nice cars and his neighbors were shocked when he was arrested for what he was arrested for. Meaning he was doing a good job fitting the part of normal upper middle class citizen even though he was a big time drug dealer. Do you think San Antonio is the first city in the world to have drug dealers living in wealthy or just upper middle lass neighborhoods? Finally, how does even qualify the Bluffs at Lookout Canyon as a ghetto? Because it was a drug bust? Do you even know what a ghetto is? This incident doesn't come even remotely close to the defintion of the word let alone anyones preconceived notion of what a ghetto is. Do you know how many rich and wealthy teens/young adults living in upscale gated communities all across the country sell drugs? Lots.

This thread was unnecessary and seems like you over-sensationalized and generalized a simple story and even threw in Stone Oaks name for no reason other than to slander it.

I for one vote to have this thread closed and removed for the site.
No, in fact that's normal for a big drug dealer to move to a nice area so it looks less obvious from the cops. Miami did it to ever see Scarface that kind of stuff was true in Miami and other cities as well. In fact that isn't new to SA ether cause not to long ago the made a big bust some where in the far north but I forgot where it was.

Old 02-16-2008, 04:28 PM

52,691 posts, read 47,963,336 times
Guys, I think we're a bit too quick to judge based on one incident. That area that's been mentioned will be just fine. Sometimes, even in good neighborhoods, you're going to have an isolated incident or two that takes place.

Old 02-16-2008, 04:31 PM

841 posts, read 1,747,661 times
Quote:
It wasn't hip or stylish, that was the point. I have relatives that live in that area now that lived there in the 50's as children. It was a nice area (and still is today in some areas) but hip, trendy, upscale, stylish it wasn't.
I think it depends on what area you are talking about on Fred. Rd. Balcones Heights was the more middle class area, but (and I'm talking about in the '30's thru the '50's) the Woodlawn/Monticello area was only behind Monte Vista and Olmos Park in upscale and stylish homes. Take a look at some of the homes on West Gramercy, W. King's Highway, and Mary Louise (and others) west of Vollum (the cross street). I consider 4000 sf. homes designed by prominent San Antonio architects to be upscale and stylish.

Back to the original theme of the thread, I believe that the OP was being sarcastic, and was making a general comment on the tons of "this area of town is dangerous because there was one shooting" threads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio