Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2016, 07:22 AM

4 posts, read 4,661 times

Advertisements

My daughter is going to start 6th grade in San Antonio. Could you tell me how middle school works? I mean, do the students have to change classrooms, teachers, etc., etc? We are moving from Spain and we are not familiar with the American system. Over here, 6th grade is stiil elementary school.

We are a worried because our daughter is still 10 yo (she will be 11 on September 29) and still likes childish games, she likes to play hide and seek during recess, for instance. I think middle school students are interested in other things.

We want to have some information about middle school activities and we will appreciate if you could help us. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2016, 08:14 AM

14,637 posts, read 35,032,679 times
Yes, they change classes. I'm sure she'll do great! My son was in band for all of middle school and one of the events every year was having a bounce castle and blowup Sumo wrestling and they acted just like they were supposed to--like KIDS. They had a blast, even the 8th graders. Get her involved in the school activities, doesn't have to be band but something where she feels like she belongs and the rest will be a breeze.

Welcome to San Antonio.

Old 07-22-2016, 08:43 AM

702 posts, read 726,810 times
Kinder - 5th is elementary school. You have the same teacher all day, all year who teaches you multiple subjects. You have recess and have the same classmates.

6th - 8th is middle school. You have different teachers for different subjects divided into periods. This is where extra circulars like band or sports will start.

9th - 12th is Freshman, Sophomore, Junior and Senior year of High School. Functionally identical to middle school.

Old 07-22-2016, 09:52 AM

3,216 posts, read 8,556,576 times
I am a 5th grade teacher, so I am very aware of the transition from elementary to middle school. Generally, what the kids are worried about is very different than what the parents are worried about. And, in my experience, the parents are more worried than the kids

Not sure what district/school your daughter will attend but most are quite similar:

*8 class periods of about 45-50 minutes each, and about 4-5 minutes for passing.
*Students carry backpacks to schools, but usually store them in their lockers.
*Most kids will hit their lockers once during the school day, but not between every period.
*Some kids will have a locker for PE, and a locker for band/orchestra as well. Forgetting a locker combination is the #1 fear of incoming 6th graders. (There are lists of lockers combos that some teachers have to help kids, and they will. Have your daughter take a photo of her combo, and send that to you as well).
*Number two concern of incoming students is getting lost. Have her carry her schedule, and ANY teacher can help her!
*Lunch is longer than in elementary, and students may generally sit where they like. More food choices, too. I would pack a lunch the first few days, as the beginning of school the lines tend to be longer.
*While middle school will issue tardy slips for being late to each period, they are generally forgiving the first few weeks.
*Teachers are everywhere, especially during passing periods.
*Most MS have all of their academic courses in one area, and then cafeteria, gym, etc., may be in another area.
*No recess in MS. Rest assured, my 5th graders played hide and seek during recess, too!

Remember, ALL of the 6th graders are new to this changing classes concept, not just your daughter. And, most middle schools have 2-3-4 or more elementary schools feeding in, so not everyone knows everyone else.

It is very likely that they will have some sort of "camp" for incoming 6th graders, usually around the week before school starts. They will have them walk through their schedule, try out their lockers, etc. Please make every effort for her to attend.

As for activities, there will be info at the "camp". As well, clubs (after school) will have signups during lunchtime, or via posters in the hall, or morning announcements. Get involved, but don't over-commit.

She will have a blast!

Last edited by pobre; 07-22-2016 at 09:53 AM.. Reason: formatting

Old 07-22-2016, 10:09 AM

4,307 posts, read 9,556,254 times
My daughter is in a K-8 school. The 6-8 grades are middle school but on the same campus. She was 9 in 4th grade when they started changing classes, though all rooms were next to each other. It was a little challenging at first for some of the kids, but they figured it out.

I've found that the kids in our middle school seem quite mature, but not so in that "pretend we're 16" way. The benefit to your daughter is that all the kids will be new to the school.

Old 07-23-2016, 06:07 AM

1,012 posts, read 1,119,686 times
Just so that you know, it is not a nation-wide thing to start middle school in 6th grade. A lot of the country still waits until 7th grade. You just landed in an area which starts in 6th grade.

Old 07-23-2016, 07:36 AM

4,329 posts, read 7,235,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashfearless View Post
Just so that you know, it is not a nation-wide thing to start middle school in 6th grade. A lot of the country still waits until 7th grade. You just landed in an area which starts in 6th grade.
It wasn't always that way. When I was in middle school here (known as "Junior High" back then), it was 7th and 8th grade. 6th grade was still in Elementary. I guess it changed sometime around the 1980s.

Old 07-23-2016, 10:29 AM

3,216 posts, read 8,556,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashfearless View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
It wasn't always that way. When I was in middle school here (known as "Junior High" back then), it was 7th and 8th grade. 6th grade was still in Elementary. I guess it changed sometime around the 1980s.
The trend did start around the late 80's. Where I grew up (Massachusetts), they had the Jr. High model (grades 7 and 8), and now seemed to have switched to the middle school model.

I believe this shift came in when public Kindergarten became the norm. Having Kinder (and in some instances Pre-K) through grade 6 in one school was difficult, hence the switch. Also, having a school to house 2 grades was most likely not cost effective, especially as existing schools aged, and needed to be reconfigured/remodeled/rebuilt.

And, actually, some districts follow an intermediate school model: PK-3, 4-8, 9-12.

Old 07-23-2016, 01:55 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,556,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pobre View Post
And, actually, some districts follow an intermediate school model: PK-3, 4-8, 9-12.
I believe this is how SAISD's new Advanced Learning Academy will be similar, but PK-3, 4-12.

And some charters are K-4, 5-12.

SAISD is talking about expanding their academy options to have more k-8 schools. That means the middle schools will be much smaller.

Old 07-23-2016, 03:13 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,259,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meridional View Post
My daughter is going to start 6th grade in San Antonio. Could you tell me how middle school works? I mean, do the students have to change classrooms, teachers, etc., etc? We are moving from Spain and we are not familiar with the American system. Over here, 6th grade is stiil elementary school.

We are a worried because our daughter is still 10 yo (she will be 11 on September 29) and still likes childish games, she likes to play hide and seek during recess, for instance. I think middle school students are interested in other things.

We want to have some information about middle school activities and we will appreciate if you could help us. Thank you.
She'll be fine. Many states used to have a similar system as Spain, in that you did not have to be five to start kindergarten, you just had to be born within the same calendar year. I didn't turn 11 until October of my sixth grade year, so most of my classmates were older. Since you're obviously an involved parent, a few months age difference should not be a factor. Do you know what district/attendance zone she'll attend?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
View detailed profiles of: