Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2016, 12:42 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,838,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancho-Villa View Post
Most situations you should be able to defend yourself without that piece of metal. I know I can. I'm also able to disarm most before they know what hit them. YMMV. Of course, in the rare (extremely rare) situation that you find yourself with multiple pieces of metal aimed at you, that's different.
Sorry......don't believe in a "fair fight". You wanna start threatening me with serious bodily injury or death, then my ONLY job is to win - and you ain't gonna like how I do it. I've seen too many friends that could "handle themselves" end up on a slab or hospital bed to take that risk. Like I tell folks - I don't carry because I'm afraid, I carry for the same reason I have insurance - in case I need it.

Just know one thing.....if you ever DO have to pull a trigger, it's going to change your life for a long time to come, so don't do it unless you HAVE to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2016, 01:16 PM

1,647 posts, read 2,063,686 times
I'm sorry, but I have to differ with you on this. There are some of us (not a lot) that can disarm folks very quickly (thankfully I've only had to do it once) . Not sure if you are one, but I am. Yes, pulling the trigger is simple (and yes a serious thing) but if that option is taken from you before you know it, then what? You will get over on most, because they don't know any defense tactics ( or they think that they can "handle themselves") , and yes it's unfortunately needed at times. There are also many places where one cannot carry that "insurance". Then what?
How come so many friends on a slab or hospital bed? You hang around trouble making types?

Last edited by Pancho-Villa; 12-25-2016 at 01:38 PM..

Old 12-25-2016, 01:33 PM

50 posts, read 65,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnojr View Post
So, how do you get a memo telling you when you're going to need your sidearm? I'd love to sign up for that list!
I'd point you I. The right direction and tell you don't be a dumbass and you won't need it. But seeing your response I understand why you feel the need to protect yourself. I can only assume you want to wave it at cars who cut you off, don't drive fast enough, or fail to use a turn signal.

Honestly, if this is your first time working on base then I'm sorry but,you won't cut it. You sound like the guy that nobody wants to work with.

Old 12-25-2016, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roader View Post
I'd point you I. The right direction and tell you don't be a dumbass and you won't need it. But seeing your response I understand why you feel the need to protect yourself. I can only assume you want to wave it at cars who cut you off, don't drive fast enough, or fail to use a turn signal.

Honestly, if this is your first time working on base then I'm sorry but,you won't cut it. You sound like the guy that nobody wants to work with.
He's coming from "that" area...that may tell you something.

Old 12-25-2016, 01:54 PM

3,285 posts, read 2,663,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roader View Post

Oh, FFS. There always has to be that guy. I got an answer, you can go puff up your chest somewhere else.

Old 12-25-2016, 04:33 PM

50 posts, read 65,376 times
I'm not that guy, you've apparently never been to San Antonio yet are telling us how it is.

I have a ccw and drive with it but have never taken it on base or felt the need.

Old 12-25-2016, 04:44 PM

37,109 posts, read 41,277,178 times
Quote:
I'm sorry, but I have to differ with you on this. There are some of us (not a lot) that can disarm folks very quickly (thankfully I've only had to do it once).
DH has a friend who went to West Point and is Ranger qualified. He and his wife were mugged in NYC. The friend disarmed the mugger in front of him, breaking the guy's arm in the process, but did not see the second thug with the knife behind him. The friend was stabbed in the back but fortunately survived.

You may have to face more than one assailant at a time and your martial arts skills may not be enough.

Old 12-25-2016, 05:07 PM

Part of my point was, that no one is totally safe. It's totally situation dependent. There are places and situations where a gun will not be enough (against several guns) or you can't legally carry one, and there are also places and situations where I won't be as effective (against several guns). At least I can defend effectively in places where one cannot carry a weapon. It's sad that we have to even talk about this really.

Old 12-25-2016, 07:01 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,838,269 times
Quote:
and there are also places and situations where I won't be as effective (against several guns). At least I can defend effectively in places where one cannot carry a weapon. It's sad that we have to even talk about this really.
It IS sad - but by the same token, better to talk and think about it BEFORE it's needed. If you're in a situation against multiple firearms, "being able to handle yourself" is likely going to get you killed - you'll be better served by talking your way out. That's generally how I've resolved those situations - the gun is my LAST resort/option - and one that you can generally avoid.

So far as going "hands on" goes....that's the WORST thing you can do, IMO. Your odds of being seriously injured go up - I don't care how many time you whipped Bruce Lee. I've "handled things" for many years MENTALLY, despite being armed - but I will NOT get into hands-on combat with someone. Good way to get yourself seriously injured or killed. If I can't deflect/redirect someone's aggressive behavior, then I'll get some distance between us. I've actually used humor to redirect the aggression - but again, I will NOT get into physical confrontations.

Old 12-25-2016, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
It IS sad - but by the same token, better to talk and think about it BEFORE it's needed. If you're in a situation against multiple firearms, "being able to handle yourself" is likely going to get you killed - you'll be better served by talking your way out.

Exactly what I said earlier, unfortunately some people are quick to make a move for their metal, I won't talk at all if I sense that and they won't enjoy the next series of events.

That's generally how I've resolved those situations - the gun is my LAST resort/option - and one that you can generally avoid.

Great

So far as going "hands on" goes....that's the WORST thing you can do, IMO. Your odds of being seriously injured go up

I rather like my odds in most situations. Don't want to, but I'm game if necessary. I stay extremely aware of my surroundings. That just comes naturally for me.

- I don't care how many time you whipped Bruce Lee. I've "handled things" for many years MENTALLY, despite being armed - but I will NOT get into hands-on combat with someone

Best thing to do when one is not very effective "hands on", good for you.

. Good way to get yourself seriously injured or killed. If I can't deflect/redirect someone's aggressive behavior, then I'll get some distance between us. I've actually used humor to redirect the aggression - but again, I will NOT get into physical confrontations.
All good too. If one has no business in that arena, best thing you can do. I'm just glad everyone is free to protect themselves the way they see fit in most states. In NYC as per the example above, it's unlikely you'd even be able to obtain a CCL. Mostly criminals are the ones carrying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio