Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2008, 10:22 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,297,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsatx View Post
I thought it was so strange that there was no mention anywhere of it closing down, glad to hear they are staying.
The last thing that I want to do is post erroneous information on this thread. I was told by two of the Karem children that they were going to close down the restaurant. I took this info on face value. I WILL get to the bottom of this. As much as I have become dedicated to the history of this city, I will not let go.

Old 01-03-2008, 08:45 AM

15 posts, read 48,686 times
Default What memories!

I stumbled on this thread while looking for pictures of my beloved Central Park Mall (this is my obsession, kind of like the Wolfe's Inn saga- I do remember that place as being almost mystical!) and am amazed at the amount and detail of the memories. THANK YOU, THANK YOU for refreshing my memory of some wonderful times. It's taken me three days of almost continual reading to read EVERY page (my family thinks I've lost it) and every time I think of some random XX, there it is in the next few posts.

I was born in SA in 1969 and lived there until 1992 and have visited several times/yr since then and still love our beautiful city.

I remember:

the cool darkness of the Jim's Frontier restaurant on the bottom of Central Park mall. The best fried cherry pies and a great refuge from the hot summer sun. Come to think of it, the whole bottom floor of Central Park always seemed to be in perpetual night (at least the way I remember it)

the best limeade ever at the Sambo's restaurant on Babcock

hiding from my parents in the "magical" spiral staircase at Northstar - it had a walk thru in the bottom

being so careful not to break any of the beautiful things in the Stovall's gift shop that faced the staircase

my Dad parking his butt for hours at Mr. Dunderbaks while Mom dragged me around the mall and shopped her beloved Frost's.

knocking over a mannequin at the Rhodes at Wonderland (I took some of my first steps in that mall)

Dad dancing in a spilled milkshake at the Dairy Queen in the parking lot of the Colonies North Mall

the Joske's downtown seemed to have big, cool fake trees in it. Does anyone remember that? Or the semi-fancy restaurant with the tacky/wonderful flowers painted on the wall (maybe Camelia room?)

Cinnamon rolls and quiche at the Scrivener's tearoom and their after Christmas sale with all the women fighting each other and stuffing trash bags full of sale stuff (I learned how to fight there)

I remember the rapist when we lived in Colonies North (didn't know he was called the Thief of Bagdad) and how all the Mom's would vacuum their houses in groups b/c they didn't want to be alone with the vacuum on. Dad bought Mom at tear gas gun and I thought it was so exotic that Mom was packin'

Icky-Sticky-Chewey Chocolate ice cream at that Swensen's on Blanco and the fresh watermelon slices they would give you with a sandwich.

PolarBear Ashburn's ice cream on San Pedro (not far from the old Maggies) for grape ice.

Saturday afternoon's with my Dad at Lyndy's on Fredricksburg. Thinking I was so big as it was a "bar."

The freakishly enormous catfish in the tanks/ ponds outside of the original Hall of Horns. We'd always finish a visit there and feed those huge fish.

Nadler's Deli on San Pedro with the flocked wallpaper and split pea soup and Dr. Brown's Cherry soda (there seems to be a reincarnation of this Deli on Blanco Rd south of 1604 but not sure if any relation to the original- anyone know?)

The Smuggler's Inn was our favorite family special occasion place.

Feeling like we'd really arrived when we finally ate at the La Louisianne.

The only pizza my Mom ever liked was the Luca's Pizza at Windsor.

Kiddie park and the tiny rollercoaster that scared the crap out of me. Took my own son there in the last few years and was saddened by the terrible state it's in.

Everyone thinking we were crazy for moving to the boonies - Blanco just south of Bitters - in 1978

Spent many happy hours in the Albertson's at Blanco and West while Mom shopped. 1 cent super bubble up front and Mad Magazines.

We looked for the Donkey Lady but ours was in an old house by the Roaring 20's supper club off Blanco Road.

Thanks for letting me share!

Old 01-03-2008, 08:51 AM

1,066 posts, read 3,694,765 times
I remember the Rhodes or Frost Bros at Wonder land....on the top floor had a restaurant on the top floor...anyone remember that?

Old 01-03-2008, 04:04 PM

5 posts, read 13,005 times
Does anyone know anything about South San Antonio? It was a city onto itself and had a very destinct little town feel to it. It is located on SouthCross/Main St. and Quintana.I am looking for some history on it.

Old 01-03-2008, 04:08 PM

Does anyone remember Colonias(sp?) Pizza on Military Drive?

Old 01-03-2008, 04:15 PM
940 940 started this thread

13,791 posts, read 8,156,338 times
Thanks for the memories, Bluebonnet Mom...I had forgotten about Nadler's...they had the best cheese cake in my opinion. I also remember Smuggler's Inn...that was a big deal when we got to go there too!

I remember the restaurant upstairs at Frost Bros and Rhodes, Primo...not sure if it was kept when the space was Liberty House.

Old 01-03-2008, 04:30 PM

I believe the Burger King your refering to on SouthCross was actually a Burger Boy remember those burgers?

Old 01-03-2008, 06:38 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,322,756 times
We had such an old school San Antonio wedding....San Fernando Cathedral, Hilton Palacio del Rio, Cake by Nadlers, Flowers by Rose Shop, Registered at Scriveners and Frost Bros. Those were the days...

Old 01-03-2008, 07:28 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,870,605 times
Can someone tell me if Donkey Lady Road is still around? I'm referring the one that was off of Blanco just south of Bitters. I believe it led over to Castle Hills Forest, but I looked on a map today and the only possible road is Voelcker which appears to stop in the middle of nowhere.

Old 01-03-2008, 07:36 PM

60 posts, read 208,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Can someone tell me if Donkey Lady Road is still around? I'm referring the one that was off of Blanco just south of Bitters. I believe it led over to Castle Hills Forest, but I looked on a map today and the only possible road is Voelcker which appears to stop in the middle of nowhere.
I've wondered the same thing. Voelker Road was what us northside kids considered the Donkey Lady road. Back in the mid 1980's you could drive from George Road off Military Highway all the way to Blanco on this street. There was an old farmhouse in the middle of the property. This area is scheduled to be made into a very large park over the next few years and should make for some interesting trails.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio