Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2008, 07:45 PM

15 posts, read 48,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWhopper View Post
So a week ago I was sitting at Murf's on San Pedro and got to thinking about the whole Whopper Burger thing. I go back home and start doing a few internet searches and found this thread. I don't think I have enjoyed myself on the internet this much since the first time I went online. This is great! I've spent a week reading all the posts, not wanting to repeat anything or answer some thing that was already answered.

I grew up in Colonies North, so I remember the old mall, with the Handy Andy the Sommer's Drug Store (my mom worked there while she was pregnant with me!) Davey Jones's Locker, and the Winns (Where I bought my very first Star Wars toys when they came out after the first movie. I think I bought a C-3PO and a Chewbacca, cause all the Han Solo's were gone when I got there). And of course the old movie theatre in there. I saw Return to Boggy Creek and Last Flight of Noah's Ark there. Does anybody a small women's fitness gym there that pretty much was geared for lazy women? I remember they had these machines with these fabric belts that you would essentially wrap around your stomach, arms, legs, etc., then the machines would shake the belts back and forth, basically just jiggling the fat. The women just stood or sat there while the machines did all the work!

In the parking lot was the Fishing Pier, and across from the Handy Andy was a Dairy Queen (in the way-old days) which is a music store now. Where the Colonies North Antique flea market is now used to be a furniture store. And next door to that, where there is an Indian restaurant now was the very first Souper Salad.

Behind the Handy Andy was the Hickory Hut BBQ that some mentioned earlier in this thread. If you missed that place, don't lament for long. My parents knew the owners, they still own a Hickory Hut in Helotes and it still tastes the same.

The furniture store that is now the Colonies North Antique Flea Market was called the Trend Store. I still have pieces from there that my mom handed down to me!

Old 01-03-2008, 08:00 PM

116 posts, read 452,836 times
Default Donkey Lady!

I lived in Churchill Forest when I was young and I remember that a lot of the kids in my neighborhood thought the Donkey Lady lived off of Voelcker. How funny...flashbacks

Old 01-03-2008, 08:00 PM

139 posts, read 504,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aroc13 View Post
Does anyone remember Colonias(sp?) Pizza on Military Drive?

Yes it Has been mentioned a few times here. It was the best pizza around. Right next to Flipside Records. The best Canadian Bacon Pizza I have ever had. HHW

Old 01-03-2008, 08:23 PM

15 posts, read 48,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie4ever01 View Post
I lived in Churchill Forest when I was young and I remember that a lot of the kids in my neighborhood thought the Donkey Lady lived off of Voelcker. How funny...flashbacks
I was in Churchill Estates from 1978 - 1992 and we thought the Donkey lady was along that little road just behind (parallel to) Blanco that would have opened into Churchill Forest. There was an old, delapidated house there and the Roaring 20's supper/dance club for the old folkds. Is that Voelcker Rd?

Old 01-04-2008, 12:08 AM

2,953 posts, read 5,298,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebonnet Mom View Post
I stumbled on this thread while looking for pictures of my beloved Central Park Mall (this is my obsession, kind of like the Wolfe's Inn saga- I do remember that place as being almost mystical!) and am amazed at the amount and detail of the memories. THANK YOU, THANK YOU for refreshing my memory of some wonderful times. It's taken me three days of almost continual reading to read EVERY page (my family thinks I've lost it) and every time I think of some random XX, there it is in the next few posts.

I was born in SA in 1969 and lived there until 1992 and have visited several times/yr since then and still love our beautiful city.

I remember:

the cool darkness of the Jim's Frontier restaurant on the bottom of Central Park mall. The best fried cherry pies and a great refuge from the hot summer sun. Come to think of it, the whole bottom floor of Central Park always seemed to be in perpetual night (at least the way I remember it)

the best limeade ever at the Sambo's restaurant on Babcock

hiding from my parents in the "magical" spiral staircase at Northstar - it had a walk thru in the bottom

being so careful not to break any of the beautiful things in the Stovall's gift shop that faced the staircase

my Dad parking his butt for hours at Mr. Dunderbaks while Mom dragged me around the mall and shopped her beloved Frost's.

knocking over a mannequin at the Rhodes at Wonderland (I took some of my first steps in that mall)

Dad dancing in a spilled milkshake at the Dairy Queen in the parking lot of the Colonies North Mall

the Joske's downtown seemed to have big, cool fake trees in it. Does anyone remember that? Or the semi-fancy restaurant with the tacky/wonderful flowers painted on the wall (maybe Camelia room?)

Cinnamon rolls and quiche at the Scrivener's tearoom and their after Christmas sale with all the women fighting each other and stuffing trash bags full of sale stuff (I learned how to fight there)

I remember the rapist when we lived in Colonies North (didn't know he was called the Thief of Bagdad) and how all the Mom's would vacuum their houses in groups b/c they didn't want to be alone with the vacuum on. Dad bought Mom at tear gas gun and I thought it was so exotic that Mom was packin'

Icky-Sticky-Chewey Chocolate ice cream at that Swensen's on Blanco and the fresh watermelon slices they would give you with a sandwich.

PolarBear Ashburn's ice cream on San Pedro (not far from the old Maggies) for grape ice.

Saturday afternoon's with my Dad at Lyndy's on Fredricksburg. Thinking I was so big as it was a "bar."

The freakishly enormous catfish in the tanks/ ponds outside of the original Hall of Horns. We'd always finish a visit there and feed those huge fish.

Nadler's Deli on San Pedro with the flocked wallpaper and split pea soup and Dr. Brown's Cherry soda (there seems to be a reincarnation of this Deli on Blanco Rd south of 1604 but not sure if any relation to the original- anyone know?)

The Smuggler's Inn was our favorite family special occasion place.

Feeling like we'd really arrived when we finally ate at the La Louisianne.

The only pizza my Mom ever liked was the Luca's Pizza at Windsor.

Kiddie park and the tiny rollercoaster that scared the crap out of me. Took my own son there in the last few years and was saddened by the terrible state it's in.

Everyone thinking we were crazy for moving to the boonies - Blanco just south of Bitters - in 1978

Spent many happy hours in the Albertson's at Blanco and West while Mom shopped. 1 cent super bubble up front and Mad Magazines.

We looked for the Donkey Lady but ours was in an old house by the Roaring 20's supper club off Blanco Road.

Thanks for letting me share!
Bluebonnet Mom, You are a most welcome addition to this thread. i have so many questions to ask you based upon your post.

I grew up in Colonies North proper and remember hearing, almost as a ghost story, about the CN rapist. In fact the son of a neighbor several houses down from where I lived was arrested for "tom peeping", and was thought for awhile that he was the rapist. He wasn't. He was just a voyeur, a stupid kid. And we were younger, stupider kids at the time playing hide and seek in the middle of the night with BB guns. We never knew how close to something evil we came near.

Old 01-04-2008, 06:58 AM

1,066 posts, read 3,695,312 times
Quote:
The furniture store that is now the Colonies North Antique Flea Market was called the Trend Store. I still have pieces from there that my mom handed down to me!
It was actually called Trend House Furniture. There should be a stamp on the back of some of your furniture. My spare bedroom furniture is from there and still looks like new and is trendy. I guess that is why they called it Trend House.

Old 01-04-2008, 12:39 PM

2,359 posts, read 6,436,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWhopper View Post
The last thing that I want to do is post erroneous information on this thread. I was told by two of the Karem children that they were going to close down the restaurant. I took this info on face value. I WILL get to the bottom of this. As much as I have become dedicated to the history of this city, I will not let go.
Hey G I have been told by 3 other people that Karam's was closing, so its a rumor that is really making the rounds.

Old 01-04-2008, 12:53 PM

"Nadler's Deli on San Pedro with the flocked wallpaper and split pea soup and Dr. Brown's Cherry soda (there seems to be a reincarnation of this Deli on Blanco Rd south of 1604 but not sure if any relation to the original- anyone know?)"

That is one and the same. I think they still have one at Callaghan and Babcock as well, at least it was there a few years ago. That location had the same flocked wallpaper for a time, too.

Old 01-04-2008, 02:49 PM

24 posts, read 92,114 times
Quote:
I stumbled on this thread while looking for pictures of my beloved Central Park Mall (this is my obsession, kind of like the Wolfe's Inn saga- I do remember that place as being almost mystical!) and am amazed at the amount and detail of the memories. THANK YOU, THANK YOU for refreshing my memory of some wonderful times. It's taken me three days of almost continual reading to read EVERY page (my family thinks I've lost it) and every time I think of some random XX, there it is in the next few posts.

I was born in SA in 1969 and lived there until 1992 and have visited several times/yr since then and still love our beautiful city.

I remember:

the cool darkness of the Jim's Frontier restaurant on the bottom of Central Park mall. The best fried cherry pies and a great refuge from the hot summer sun. Come to think of it, the whole bottom floor of Central Park always seemed to be in perpetual night (at least the way I remember it)

the best limeade ever at the Sambo's restaurant on Babcock

hiding from my parents in the "magical" spiral staircase at Northstar - it had a walk thru in the bottom

being so careful not to break any of the beautiful things in the Stovall's gift shop that faced the staircase

my Dad parking his butt for hours at Mr. Dunderbaks while Mom dragged me around the mall and shopped her beloved Frost's.

knocking over a mannequin at the Rhodes at Wonderland (I took some of my first steps in that mall)

Dad dancing in a spilled milkshake at the Dairy Queen in the parking lot of the Colonies North Mall

the Joske's downtown seemed to have big, cool fake trees in it. Does anyone remember that? Or the semi-fancy restaurant with the tacky/wonderful flowers painted on the wall (maybe Camelia room?)

Cinnamon rolls and quiche at the Scrivener's tearoom and their after Christmas sale with all the women fighting each other and stuffing trash bags full of sale stuff (I learned how to fight there)

I remember the rapist when we lived in Colonies North (didn't know he was called the Thief of Bagdad) and how all the Mom's would vacuum their houses in groups b/c they didn't want to be alone with the vacuum on. Dad bought Mom at tear gas gun and I thought it was so exotic that Mom was packin'

Icky-Sticky-Chewey Chocolate ice cream at that Swensen's on Blanco and the fresh watermelon slices they would give you with a sandwich.

PolarBear Ashburn's ice cream on San Pedro (not far from the old Maggies) for grape ice.

Saturday afternoon's with my Dad at Lyndy's on Fredricksburg. Thinking I was so big as it was a "bar."

The freakishly enormous catfish in the tanks/ ponds outside of the original Hall of Horns. We'd always finish a visit there and feed those huge fish.

Nadler's Deli on San Pedro with the flocked wallpaper and split pea soup and Dr. Brown's Cherry soda (there seems to be a reincarnation of this Deli on Blanco Rd south of 1604 but not sure if any relation to the original- anyone know?)

The Smuggler's Inn was our favorite family special occasion place.

Feeling like we'd really arrived when we finally ate at the La Louisianne.

The only pizza my Mom ever liked was the Luca's Pizza at Windsor.

Kiddie park and the tiny rollercoaster that scared the crap out of me. Took my own son there in the last few years and was saddened by the terrible state it's in.

Everyone thinking we were crazy for moving to the boonies - Blanco just south of Bitters - in 1978

Spent many happy hours in the Albertson's at Blanco and West while Mom shopped. 1 cent super bubble up front and Mad Magazines.

We looked for the Donkey Lady but ours was in an old house by the Roaring 20's supper club off Blanco Road.

Thanks for letting me share!
My first job was at Smugglers Inn during the summer of '74. I was 15, but I told them I was 16 and they put me to work. Spent a lot of that money in Central Park Mall that summer... Record Town, Bressler's Ice Cream, Frontier Restaurant and a few pair of bell bottom Levis from Dillards. It was a great summer!

Old 01-05-2008, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneManOnBass View Post
My first job was at Smugglers Inn during the summer of '74. I was 15, but I told them I was 16 and they put me to work. Spent a lot of that money in Central Park Mall that summer... Record Town, Bressler's Ice Cream, Frontier Restaurant and a few pair of bell bottom Levis from Dillards. It was a great summer!
Do you remember much about the Smuggler's Inn? I remember eating there with my parents as a little kid. I know it was a chain because every year we would drive to New Jersey to see the family, and there was some town we would always spend the night in that also had a Smuggler's Inn that looked identical to the one here. Long before I found the GBNFSA thread, I would occasionally do internet searches on it trying to find the history of the place and could never find anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio