Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2008, 07:43 PM

Location: I live south of San Antonio in a place called Atascosa.
854 posts, read 2,547,026 times

Advertisements

ok fulton and fredricksburg in 1963..There was probably the Thompsons Liquor store..the Bowling alley. Maybe the Roy Rogers sandwich place...Woodlawn theater..West ave ended there HEB and Bruners. Jacala just up the street. south was Cool Crest I think. Donaldson to get to Jefferson..what west?..east was Brackenridge park but fulton ended at San Pedro.

Old 03-16-2008, 07:59 PM

3 posts, read 7,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwangle View Post
ok fulton and fredricksburg in 1963..There was probably the Thompsons Liquor store..the Bowling alley. Maybe the Roy Rogers sandwich place...Woodlawn theater..West ave ended there HEB and Bruners. Jacala just up the street. south was Cool Crest I think. Donaldson to get to Jefferson..what west?..east was Brackenridge park but fulton ended at San Pedro.
Roy Rogers DOES sound familiar. That might be it. Sorry, you lost me on the rest of your post. Doesn't fulton run into fredericksburg?

Last edited by bds9487; 03-16-2008 at 08:25 PM..

Old 03-17-2008, 02:11 AM

I think Roy Rogers was like Arby's but I never ate there. I remember the Tarzan guy..BEEF UP AT ARBY'S! It might be Quill and not Donaldson. Fulton starts where the bowling alley was. I lived on Fulton for about 4 years. 435 Fulton. Old apartments. I think thats where I was living when San Antonio had the blackout but everybody remembers it in 1977 and I didn't move into them until 1979. An elderly woman who lived across the street from the apartments told me that when she was a kid they put a big pile of sand on this vacant lot her friends used to like to play in. He said to have fun now because soon it would be apartments.

Old 03-17-2008, 02:47 AM

ok some more stuff. As a kid I remember the Medina Base Explosion, President Kennedy in San antonio, Kennedy Assassinated, Oswald gunned down. I didn't realize until much later that they all occured in about the same week. A friend of mine told me that he was helping out with security for Kennedy and everyone thought the explosion was connected to his visit...About the Assassination. We were lining up after Recess to go back to class when someone ran up and told us that some guy with a machine gun shot up everybody. He said that he thinks they even shot the president. Sunday morning when Oswald was killed they ran the film footage over and over. I could only see Jack Ruby's Hat move across the camera. I never saw that famous picture until it was published in NEWSWEEK.

Old 03-17-2008, 07:02 AM

1,066 posts, read 3,695,312 times
Default Roy Rogers

I don't remember a Roy Rogers in SA...unless it was its own unique location not affiliated with the national franchise. (I could be wrong, though)

And yes it is very similar to Arbys...they had roast beef sandwhiches...with something called "Trigger Sauce" (not a good idea to name a food item after a horse)...they also had good fried chicken...I think they had burgers too.

Roy Rogers Family Restaurants - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-17-2008, 09:09 AM

847 posts, read 2,233,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bds9487 View Post
We lived in San Antonio from 1958-1963.
The last few years was on Fulton a couple blocks west of Blanco.
I went to Agnes Cotten for 2nd, 3rd & 4th grades.
I remember walking with my dad and brother to a BBQ place
near Fulton and Fredericksburg.
It was the first place my brother and I ever had BBQ and we loved it.

Any body remember a BBQ joint there and what the name of it was?

That would be Epp's SmokeHouse.

It was right there in the crotch of Fred Rd and Zarzamora.

mud

Old 03-17-2008, 09:22 AM

Was Epp's smokehouse there before the chinese restaurant--Fujia? Or was it on a different corner. I heard that when you went to Fujia they made you remove your shoes. Is that true?

Old 03-17-2008, 09:25 AM

847 posts, read 2,233,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwangle View Post
ok fulton and fredricksburg in 1963..

There was probably the Thompsons Liquor store..

the Bowling alley. Maybe the Roy Rogers sandwich place...
Woodlawn theater..West ave ended there HEB and Bruners.
Jacala just up the street. south was Cool Crest I think.
Donaldson to get to Jefferson..
what west?..east was Brackenridge park
but fulton ended at San Pedro.

Dwangle, Thompson's was way up near Babcock.
In the first block south.

There were at least two other liquor stores
headed north from Fulton before Thompsons -

Texas Store was 3-4 blocks north of Fullton
then Dons and Bens couple blocks north of Hildebrand/Club

mud

Old 03-17-2008, 09:35 AM

Oh yes it was a Texas store. I think that is where my dad would buy me my hunting license. He would buy a license in my name so he could kill twice his limit.

Old 03-17-2008, 09:45 AM

3 posts, read 7,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudpuddle View Post
That would be Epp's SmokeHouse.

It was right there in the crotch of Fred Rd and Zarzamora.

mud
BINGO. That's the place. Thanks so much, mudpuddle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio