Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2007, 09:53 PM

39 posts, read 200,524 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by munerider View Post
A few random thoughts
*Paul Thompson and Eyewitness News Wants to Know (simply the gruffest old man ever...hilarious!)
*The Light had a four page black-n-white comics (front/back and fold on a single sheet of paper) that could be pulled out and given to the kiddos so they wouldn't bug you while you were trying to read the paper
*the movie Viva Max! being filmed here
*the drive-through convenience store (Short-Stop) on Randolph AFB
*Hurricane Beulah
*Henry B.'s TV show/report every Sunday morning (like at 6 a.m.)
*5 Star Shock
Hey how about some local TV from way "back in the day"
"Cap'n Gus" on channel 5 every weekday afternoon-"be good and always do what your mommy & daddy tells you to do, mateys"
"Project Terror" on Channel 12 Friday nights
"All-Star Wrestling" on Saturday nights Channel 12 @ 10:30

As for restaurants...has anyone mentioned "The Flame" on SE Military near the State Hospital?
Oh yeah, Saturday nights(Sunday morning) after the midnight movie going to Don Pedro's on Military drive & Commercial for a snack.

Old 06-10-2007, 11:14 AM

21 posts, read 105,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsatx View Post
I remember that place was always packed back in the early 80's, then some guy was killed at the location on fred road and business went downhill fast. I think its where pizza hut is now.
Is that the location where the teenage boy stabbed his boss, robbed the till and then locked his boss's body in the cooler? If so, I knew that kid. Big, blond boy. He'd killed his mother right before, stole her car, killed his boss, then they found him in Dallas. He used to talk to me when I closed out the register at the place where I worked. When I think back on that... whew.

Old 06-10-2007, 01:19 PM

61 posts, read 257,920 times
tad more thoughts...
*Lubianski's Hall
*sky trolley back behind where Retama and Our Lady of Perpetual are now...still there, after a century..WHAT freakin memories of THAT thang on a Sunday morning about 3 a.m.
*Charlie Brown's in UC
*5-oh-Dive-Oh, when it still was
*ANY football team named the Toros!
*USFL, Arena Football, and NASL at the Rock Pile...Bobby Moore! Saw him vs. Georgie Best...WHAT a night!
*La Lousianne...I grew up nasty poor...I hoped to eat at Earl Abel's one day (yeah, THAT poor)...and really wanted to make L.L...sorry it disappeared before I could experience it.
*Meeting Don Feller and getting Oscar Gamble's and Brock Davis' autographs at Randolph's old wooden bball field...CLASSIC!!!! Made even StMU's look bush...WHAT A FIELD!! (No, Feller didn't give autos to kids, even then)
*Floyd's burgers...I was NE but spent a lot of time chasing southside tail...Floyd's was/is best burgers in town!
*Felix's coffe shop at the Kon-Tiki...was a martini lounge, w/o the martinis...WAY freakin' kewl.
*Leon's, his brother's, right across the street...they don't talk, still...but both good businessmen and family men. (Adella, I still love you!!!)
*Stillwater, local group...Gary, Tom, Mark, Lisa.
*Safari Lounge...whatEVER could those trailors have been for???
*Last one...sports bar on San Pedro up on a hill on the west side...was a German restaurant back in the day...what was it???

Old 06-10-2007, 01:43 PM

22 posts, read 103,367 times
I rememeber Playland Park too and I am 49! My grandmother use to dress my sister and I alike and we were 3 years apart! Ok, that is another story...hehehe...We usually went on holidays and one Easter was especially memoriable when my sister stuck her hand through the tree trunk.....don't ask.....and she got a live rabbit for her gift. They use to give the kids baskets and things as winning prizes. My grandmother probably regretted that day! Hey, and the Handy Andy on W. Commerce and 24st is still going strong. Remember Joskie's dept store downtown when they use to put up all the holiday sceneries in the windows and the big inflatables on part of the roof top. In the basement during Christmas was memorable. The kids would get these big plastic chips and you could get prizes and ride the small train they had. Those were the days! I remember when the Rodeo grounds were just for the kids and the bull riding stuff was just for the adults. Thanks for the memories!

Old 06-10-2007, 04:32 PM

2,359 posts, read 6,435,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swingtime View Post
Is that the location where the teenage boy stabbed his boss, robbed the till and then locked his boss's body in the cooler? If so, I knew that kid. Big, blond boy. He'd killed his mother right before, stole her car, killed his boss, then they found him in Dallas. He used to talk to me when I closed out the register at the place where I worked. When I think back on that... whew.
Yes I believe that is it, will look online to see if I can find something on that.

Old 06-10-2007, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munerider View Post
tad more thoughts...
*Lubianski's Hall
*sky trolley back behind where Retama and Our Lady of Perpetual are now...still there, after a century..WHAT freakin memories of THAT thang on a Sunday morning about 3 a.m.
*Charlie Brown's in UC
*5-oh-Dive-Oh, when it still was
*ANY football team named the Toros!
*USFL, Arena Football, and NASL at the Rock Pile...Bobby Moore! Saw him vs. Georgie Best...WHAT a night!
*La Lousianne...I grew up nasty poor...I hoped to eat at Earl Abel's one day (yeah, THAT poor)...and really wanted to make L.L...sorry it disappeared before I could experience it.
*Meeting Don Feller and getting Oscar Gamble's and Brock Davis' autographs at Randolph's old wooden bball field...CLASSIC!!!! Made even StMU's look bush...WHAT A FIELD!! (No, Feller didn't give autos to kids, even then)
*Floyd's burgers...I was NE but spent a lot of time chasing southside tail...Floyd's was/is best burgers in town!
*Felix's coffe shop at the Kon-Tiki...was a martini lounge, w/o the martinis...WAY freakin' kewl.
*Leon's, his brother's, right across the street...they don't talk, still...but both good businessmen and family men. (Adella, I still love you!!!)
*Stillwater, local group...Gary, Tom, Mark, Lisa.
*Safari Lounge...whatEVER could those trailors have been for???
*Last one...sports bar on San Pedro up on a hill on the west side...was a German restaurant back in the day...what was it???
I remember arena football was here for 1 whole year.

Old 06-10-2007, 06:53 PM

oops...i meant Bob Feller, of course.

Old 06-10-2007, 10:10 PM

139 posts, read 504,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakotajonmac View Post
Hey how about some local TV from way "back in the day"
"Cap'n Gus" on channel 5 every weekday afternoon-"be good and always do what your mommy & daddy tells you to do, mateys"
"Project Terror" on Channel 12 Friday nights
"All-Star Wrestling" on Saturday nights Channel 12 @ 10:30

As for restaurants...has anyone mentioned "The Flame" on SE Military near the State Hospital?
Oh yeah, Saturday nights(Sunday morning) after the midnight movie going to Don Pedro's on Military drive & Commercial for a snack.
Yes they have all been mentioned. I am glad you remember the good ole days too. I am a newbie on this thread. I joined a month a go. I found it like at 9 PM I read every post With a few Lonestars, ( I get them imported from Texas). I think I got through around 2 Am after re reading them a couple of times. I strongly suggest anybody, That hasn't read every post, to do so. So Many memories. All star Wrestling, Jose Lotherio, Black Jack Mulligan, Ivan Putskie and Ole Whaoo Macdaniel. What came on afterwards? Roller Derby. Project Terror Just the opening alone, would scare the heck out of ya. The Flame, What can I say. The fish was amazing.
Attached Thumbnails
Gone But Not Forgotten in San Antonio! - Part I-dscf1022.jpg  

Last edited by hhwolfman; 06-10-2007 at 10:26 PM..

Old 06-11-2007, 12:15 AM

Anyone remember a restaurant at the Corner of Miltary and Roosevelt? Forgot the name.

Old 06-11-2007, 08:41 AM

*Sunken Gardens when it actually had water, koi, and a water fall
*The Sky Rider, of course
*Polo Grounds
*the "great train robbery" at Brakenridge Park
*The Gator tank/well
*KONO TV
*The Green Door
*Hung-Fong's...when it was good and actually had Chinese people working there
*JC Penney's...before it became the main library!
*the main library, when it was on the river.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio