Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2007, 08:03 PM

139 posts, read 504,391 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaTexan View Post
Didn't Kiddy Citty move down Pleasanton some years later in the late '70s? I can't remember the cross-street but it was on the same side of Pleasanton as the old Terrell Wells Post Office.
BTW You are correct of the Location though. It is Sussex and Pleasaton. The building still stands I think. It is or was Carpet City now. Right Across from the Terrell WElls Post office and the Winns Was next to the post office.

Old 06-12-2007, 08:10 PM

Try this Map Locater. It is real cool and has a 2d option so you can see the buildings. I am looking at griefs right now.

Live Local Search

Old 06-12-2007, 11:26 PM

2,359 posts, read 6,432,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhwolfman View Post
BTW You are correct of the Location though. It is Sussex and Pleasaton. The building still stands I think. It is or was Carpet City now. Right Across from the Terrell WElls Post office and the Winns Was next to the post office.
Was it past miltary or before coming from downtown?

Old 06-13-2007, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsatx View Post
Was it past miltary or before coming from downtown?

It was on Pleasanton before Military ON the Griefs side

Old 06-13-2007, 08:14 AM

472 posts, read 1,792,601 times
Quote:
Question for everyone, which Winn's store did you go to?
I went to the Winns on Flores (@ Belden) by Southcross. After it closed it was turned into DJs teen club then Papa Jims Botanica. Winns was the shiznit. I remember they sold fish and had a fabric center. It was like Walmart but like an 8th the size.

Old 06-13-2007, 09:24 AM

2,359 posts, read 6,432,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhwolfman View Post
It was on Pleasanton before Military ON the Griefs side
Is that the one in the shopping center with Warehouse Grocery, and Eckerds?

Old 06-13-2007, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Is that the one in the shopping center with Warehouse Grocery, and Eckerds?

It is Carpet City Now.

Old 06-13-2007, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dube665 View Post
I went to the Winns on Flores (@ Belden) by Southcross. After it closed it was turned into DJs teen club then Papa Jims Botanica. Winns was the shiznit. I remember they sold fish and had a fabric center. It was like Walmart but like an 8th the size.
And they had costumer service back then.

Old 06-13-2007, 10:15 AM

39 posts, read 200,475 times
I went to the Winn's on Nogalitos. Do you remember the other major stores in that little strip center? Surma's Bakery, best sugar cookies ever, and the Somers Drug Store, best chocolate malts in SA. Also down the street do you remember Gyro's drive inn? How about saving your S & H green stamps or Texas Gold stamps? What did you get?
Did anyone wear Kaepa tennis shoes, the one's with the two different shoelaces on each shoe, made in SA?

Old 06-13-2007, 11:04 AM

16 posts, read 55,317 times
Those Kaepa shoes were down with an IZOD shirt….except I was too poor for the IZOD so my mom got me a shirt with a dorky turtle on it. I tried to hide it but it was useless; everyone knew. I still carry the scars with me to this day. I used to go to the Winn’s on Callaghan –Northwest Sider. My mom still cries to this day about the Winn’s and Sommer’s drugstore closing. I used to get all manner of plastic toys and candy over there. Our neighbor would go and steal anything he could get his hands on. And my brother would go and buy fish and assorted rodents. Usually the fish would eat each other and the rodents would die prematurely because he would never clean the cage and my mom would throw it out into the garage. My mom brought over a mono the other day for me to put into my brand new entertainment center and I said, “Hey, didn’t you get this mono from Sommers?” –It was like a dated figurine of a little boy sitting down with his dog. And then she was all boo hoo hoo. Does anybody remember the Woolco stores with the Red Grill snackbar in the back of the store? I remember my mom would go and buy clothes there and of course monos. She kept only a mono of a Greek goddess which had it’s head knocked off a few times, but for some reason Spaniards and anything Spanish style was popular in the 70’s. We had all kinds of conquistador monos and paintings, knick-knacks and mom even found a Spanish style sofa that my brother would wipe his boogers on. She also cries over Karatkins –some old furniture store that was downtown. Did any of you guys ever go to Penner’s downtown –men’s clothing store? I used to go with my dad. Remember the young guy that worked there looked exactly like the curly haired guy from Starsky and Hutch. I think he even had that little mole. How ‘bout the Gibson’s stores? That was exactly like a Woolco or a Globe store. Remember the record section…yes, vinyl record section…anybody that old? How ‘bout the 8-track tapes of Chicago and Led Zepplin? Anybody remember that? I used to buy Beatle albums at Ward’s. My older brother still has his 45 collection. Anybody remember those K-tel albums with cheesy music on them like Sammy Davis Jr. singing the Candyman ….can the candy man can…. takes a lot of love and makes the world taste good…blah, blah, blah. I think my older brother bought those and even the James Bond music tracks from Kmart, which contained music like Goldfinger, Thunderball, etc. which we would play on the car-sized stereo with Spanish decorations –red velvet and all on the speakers. We used to have fun with the records. We used to get the Donny Osmond record and speed it up or slow it down and laugh our butts off. “Just like a Yo-Yo” sounded like either he sucked up some helium or he was on steroids. The 70’s was da bomb.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio