Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2007, 08:11 AM

305 posts, read 1,618,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Thanks for the link. I'm not sure what's on that video, though.

It's also kind of sad to see old clips of the Hemisfair 68, knowing that within a year all of the shows, spectacles, people, etc, would be gone.
I agree. But I guess that is the nature of fairs. I always wished SA would hold another one, but fairs are risky propositions and I don't know if you could find enough millionaires that need a tax break.

But it did change the skyline forever. I can't help but think that the symbol of the Tower has helped the city grow and possibly as a byproduct has helped the Spurs attract international talent with an easier time on selling the city. There are few cities where you are plopped down in the center of them and immediately know where you are. Maybe, I'm wrong, or a San Antonio apologist, but I can't imagine SA without the tower.

Old 06-30-2007, 08:34 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,861,079 times
I love the tower. But I've never eaten in the restaurant at the top.

By the way, is everyone aware of the underground passage leading from the Riverwalk to the Hemisfair Plaza? In other words, you can get from Tower to the Riverwalk, on foot, without having to cross any roads. Great for walkers. Pretty cool too.

Old 06-30-2007, 11:01 AM

11 posts, read 60,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SA Greed View Post
Don't remember Shakey's but I do remember Godfather's. I think there are still some around. I think it's just my imagination but in Ingram, I used to remember a Zbarro's across from the Theater. Does anyone else? Sorry, the items I remember are from the 80's considering that is when I was a kid.
Never went to Shakey's but remember the commercials. "We had fun at Shakey's, also Pizza!"

Old 06-30-2007, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by googie2525 View Post
There's an interesting documentary series on old San Antonio that was produced by local PBS affiliate KLRN. I bought them a while back on DVD and they were really entertaining, shed a lot of light on how SA was back in the day. And no, I'm not trying to hawk a product, and didn't produce them or anything, just think they're a great intro to SA for newcomers, and pretty nostalgic for old-schoolers (my grandmother loved them), plus they support public broadcasting if you buy 'em, which doesn't hurt. You can find them at the KLRN site (klrn.org).

The 3 titles are:

San Antonio Remembered: HemisFair
Relive HemisFair, the 1968 World's Fair, and a grand fiesta in celebration of San Antonio's 250th birthday during one of the most tumultuous years in American History.

San Antonio Remembered: Downtown
Remember when downtown was the place to go? Relive those memories in this nostalgic visit to the old San Antonio that exists now only in our memories.

San Antonio Remembered: The Good Times
A trip down memory lane to places that don't exist anymore, and interviews with the people who were there.
put them on utube! j/k

Old 06-30-2007, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 940 View Post
OMG..I loved Little Hipps...I lived there and at Chris Madrid's during college...LOL

I also remember one of the original Taco Cabana's off Hildebrand and McCullough, I believe...it was in an old refurbished building and nothing like the glitz they throw up nowadays!

I remember the Bonham Exchange downtown had .25 drink nights on Wednesdays...and the music was terrific too!

I remember ButterKrust Bakeries off Broadway and the smell of the bread every day. Is that still there?
The Taco Cabana you're referring to is on Hildebrand and San Pedro and still open. I heard from an employee that it was THE original Taco Cabana.

The Butterkrust Bakery is not there anymore. Too bad, I miss the aroma of fresh baked bread while standing on the 11th tee box at Brackenridge Golf Course

Old 06-30-2007, 01:21 PM

2,359 posts, read 6,432,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob5 View Post
Never went to Shakey's but remember the commercials. "We had fun at Shakey's, also Pizza!"
The shakey's on san pedro was awesome, if I recall they used to have someone with a piano playing there. I miss that and the Godfathers at the corner at San Pedro and Rector.

Old 06-30-2007, 03:34 PM

2 posts, read 8,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasborn View Post
Boy... have I gotten hooked on this site/thread. This is the next best thing to being (home) in SA. Been gone 30+ years!

And for those of you lucky enough to still been there and have reminders of the area of "then and now", my memories may not be as clear. But, ... those movie houses! I DO remember them. I remember the MAJESTIC Theatre (it was truly majestic and mystical-I lost a transistor radio there while watching John Wayne's CHISUM; (westerns on THAT screen were captivating!) and the the TEXAS Theatre (saw TO SIR WITH LOVE there). And, the LAUREL Theatre was right across from my JR HIGH (not middle school) Mark Twain and the OLMOS Theatre, and the WOODLAWN Theatre (the SAND PEBBLES). I saw the musical CHICAGO at the MAJESTIC (and took my spouse) when I was in town for business a while ago. So glad to see it was not torn down. I wasn't the same (but, then, it never is, is it?) but glad to see it none the same.

And back to DOWNTOWN SA, does anyone remember FROST BROS Dept Store? I recall there was a magnificent Chistmas display there during this time of year. I remember when going DOWNTOWN was really something. Does anyone recall the Rexall Drugstore on the corner across from the Post Office and the Alamo (circa mid-60's)? Twirling on those seats at the soda fountain (cherry coke please with extra cherry, sir). Walgreens will NEVER compare to Rexall.

And, just briefly, re Playland Park, I DO remember it. I'm old enoungh to remember it before it became delapidated. And, does anyone remember the park right outside of Brackenridge Park? (I LOVED THAT TRAIN!) They had Shetland Ponies there. I remember getting tossed off one (can Shetlands buck? The San Antonio ZOO, Brackenridge Park, that Train and the Small (?) Park. All remain except the Park, right?
I left San Antonio in 1963 and just moved back earlier this year.

I remember Frost Bros. Dept. Store very well - was very disappointed on a visit to find they'd closed.

There was another drugstore - it may have been a Rexall - in the Laurel Heights area (not the present LH Pharmacy on Main Ave.), I'm thinking San Pedro near Huisache, that had a great lunch counter. I'm a Mex. food freak and fondly remember their enchiladas!

Old 06-30-2007, 05:12 PM

351 posts, read 1,584,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
I love the tower. But I've never eaten in the restaurant at the top.

By the way, is everyone aware of the underground passage leading from the Riverwalk to the Hemisfair Plaza? In other words, you can get from Tower to the Riverwalk, on foot, without having to cross any roads. Great for walkers. Pretty cool too.

Hi,

Is that new? Is it safe (i.e. lowlife gangbangers etc...)? Is it still open?

Lived here all of my life, and yes I used to go to that little playground you were talking about during my summer breaks.

Never heard of that, I must investigate when I return.

crazedchef

Old 06-30-2007, 05:26 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,861,079 times
The passage itself seemed completely safe the one time I walked it. It's not like some gloomy dungeon-like corridor. Do you know the passage across the street from the Alamo where you walk past the waterfalls, under the hotel, into the Riverwalk? Well, it's not that elaborate but it's kind of like that.

I don't remember how to get there from the Hemisfair, but from the Rivercenter end of the Riverwalk, take the left side of the walk and turn left as that section of the river turns left. It's just a little ways down on the left after that.

Old 07-01-2007, 06:41 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,316,631 times
The Taco Cabana you're referring to is on Hildebrand and San Pedro and still open. I heard from an employee that it was THE original Taco Cabana

Anyone remember the old guy dressed a cowboy who used to hang out across the street from that Taco Cabana? This would have been in the late '70s....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio