Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2007, 12:46 PM

44 posts, read 192,119 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWhopper View Post
You are welcome to this forum any time. All of us would love to hear your recollections!!! Where exactly was your old church?
Central Baptist, 1226 South Presa.

Old 12-11-2007, 01:20 PM
tcs

218 posts, read 877,135 times
BrianW-Do you remember the old Howell Refining Company? My dad was treasurer there in the 60s and I used to go to the office with him on Saturdays. Got to play with the Monroe Calculators. They were all mechanical with lots of cool clicks, bells, clunks and other noises. When you did 999x999 it would take minutes to click its way to the answer.

Old 12-11-2007, 02:20 PM
940 940 started this thread

13,791 posts, read 8,155,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sydsmom143 View Post
In regards to that cement building- located in a place we used to call "The Trails" kinda by "Devil's Den"...If it is the same place you are talking about (on the left hand side of Ingram Road if you are headed towards the mall...) My family and I move to SA in 1976 and it was abandoned back then. I think we heard that it was once more or less what you described it as- a place where rocks were loaded. But, as I said- it had been abandoned for over 30 years....we used to explore that area as kids alot...
I remember before Ingram Park Mall was built...that land looked like a big hilly rock quarry to me as a kid. One thing that stood out as you drove by it on 410...the electrical poles were standing on small little rock perches/platforms while the rest of the rocky land was much lower in elevation and further downhill. Anyway, maybe the cement building back behind the mall site off Wurzbach was related to that 'rock quarry' before it closed down due to the mall being built.

Old 12-11-2007, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcs View Post
BrianW-Do you remember the old Howell Refining Company? My dad was treasurer there in the 60s and I used to go to the office with him on Saturdays. Got to play with the Monroe Calculators. They were all mechanical with lots of cool clicks, bells, clunks and other noises. When you did 999x999 it would take minutes to click its way to the answer.
No, I'm sorry to say that I don't remember it. Where were they located?

I do remember hand cranked "adding machines", though. My dad had one at his business on Goliad.

I grew up in Highland Hills, but we went to church at Central on S. Presa. I can still remember driving there before 37 opened! Consequently, my memories are more of the south/southeast side - not so much of S. Presa, other than what was right around the church.

Old 12-11-2007, 03:53 PM

159 posts, read 785,060 times
Default Bowen's Island

Quote:
Does anybody know where Bowen's Mill used to be? I think this was in Alamo Heights, on the banks of the San Antonio. If anybody has any memories of this place, or knows any information about it and would share it, I would really appreciate it.
I found a little information on Bowen's Island. I found this very interesting. Also, here are a few pics of Bowen's Island. They are a bit larger on my PC, the left pic its to the left, the center pic it to the right, and the aerial pic it is the patch of vacant land top left. The aerial pic was taken a year before the island was to be changed forever.

Granada Homes - History (broken link)
Attached Thumbnails
Gone But Not Forgotten in San Antonio! - Part I-bi2.gif   Gone But Not Forgotten in San Antonio! - Part I-bi4.gif   Gone But Not Forgotten in San Antonio! - Part I-bi3.gif  

Old 12-11-2007, 08:04 PM

1,066 posts, read 3,693,944 times
Default The Mother Load

[SIZE=2]
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]Cinema I, II & III North Star Mall was opened in September, 1964 and owned by General Cinema. It originally had two screens and later added a third. The cinema was closed on March 15, 1984. The cinema was razed for further development in the mall.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]The Legendary Colonies North Mall[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]
[SIZE=2]Cinematex Colonies Theatre was opened in 1970 in the Colonies North Mall. The second owner was John Santikos. The theatre closed in 1979.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Wonderland[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][/SIZE]

Wonderland In her Prime

Central Park Fox

Fredricksburg Drive In

[SIZE=2]The Drive-In Theatre was the first drive-in built in San Antonio, thus the name. In 1946 the name was changed to Fredericksburg Road Drive-In Theatre. This was after the Trail Drive-In opened. The drive-in was razed in 1986. It was owned by John Santikos.[/SIZE]

[/SIZE]

Old 12-11-2007, 08:20 PM

1,066 posts, read 3,693,944 times
Default More Mother Load

Windsor Park Mall

Broadway

Woodlawn (You can see my Favorite...hmmmm Arby's)

Old 12-11-2007, 08:27 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,295,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primo View Post
Windsor Park Mall

Broadway

Woodlawn (You can see my Favorite...hmmmm Arby's)
These are awesome!!!!! Absolutely amazing!!

Old 12-11-2007, 08:28 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,295,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
Central Baptist, 1226 South Presa.
My current church is right across the street. The Red Brick building built by Alfred Giles.

Old 12-11-2007, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWhopper View Post
My current church is right across the street. The Red Brick building built by Alfred Giles.
If it's the one I'm thinking of, I didn't realize it was still there. What is the name, please? Mind you, I haven't been in that area in around 30 years!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio