Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2007, 12:36 PM

15 posts, read 88,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by irnag View Post
I remember a club called Broad Street. I think they had valet parking. This would be in the mid 80 time frame.
I lived in SA from 1983 to 1990. Broad Street was the club then.....as well as Sneakers on Perrin Beitel.

Old 03-27-2007, 09:35 AM

159 posts, read 785,146 times
The club at the mall was the old Grahm Centeral Station and it was BOGUS. I went there twice.....it was a ugly crowd. They had a country section (Down Under), a 70's section (Bell Bottoms), the top floor was like Techno or just reg dance music dont remember the name, but well call it (Lame-O's). This was when it was not cool to play rap music at any club in SA. We use to have to go to the Bonham on Weds nights in that little room full of people to be at a club that plays rap.The new Grahm seems to be a better crowd.

Old 03-27-2007, 09:38 AM

21 posts, read 104,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
I remember Kiddie City. It was a very large toy store on the inner access road near 410 and McCullough. Next to it was the Sports Palace, which had bowling alleys, arcade games, roller skating rink, and I can't remember what else.
Sports Palace is what used to be Spartan's, if I remember correctly. It was a huge store. Kiddie City was turned into the Boston Sea Party restaurant in the '70s.

Quote:
Next to that was the large triangle shaped office building.
The Century Building. It was really pretty inside -- lots of live plants and natural light. I worked there in '75-'76.

Old 03-27-2007, 11:26 AM

305 posts, read 1,618,714 times
Anyone remember Dacbert's music store? Is that still around? Or did Alamo Music run them out of business? I can't even remember where they were located. Were they out by the rendering plants? Were they on Basse near San Pedro? I don't know why I thought of it. It may have been mentioned on the board before.

Old 03-27-2007, 12:09 PM

Where did that post go? Something about divorces. That was one for the Gone AND forgotten board.

Apologies for the weak attempt at humor.

Old 03-27-2007, 12:15 PM
940 940 started this thread

13,791 posts, read 8,155,707 times
Hey Irnag, I think that was spam..I saw it too and thought it was strange to be advertising how to get the most from your divorce!!

And I remember Dacberts..San Pedro sounds familiar in regards to the old location...

Old 03-27-2007, 12:31 PM

284 posts, read 1,087,730 times
I just remembered one of my favorite places to shop in the early '80s was the Pat Magee's at North Star Mall, over in what was the Foley's wing, but is now Macy's. It was like a slice of the coast right here in San Antonio. And they didn't sell only t-shirts, swimsuits, and beach gear like the one remaining in Port A. I got some blouses and skirts there that I could wear to work at Target on Bandera and 410--which also no longer exists!

Someone mentioned Penn Foods at Callaghan and 10. That was a great place to get homecoming mums.

I remember the Tandy's at Wonderland too. That was back when Wonderland had stores outside the mall that, if I'm remembering correctly, you could not get into from inside the mall. I also remember getting snacks at the food place in Woolworth's at Wonderland.

Does anyone else remember the club called Doc Holliday's in a strip center on 410 and Fredericksburg Road?

Old 03-27-2007, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowglobe View Post
I
I remember the Tandy's at Wonderland too. That was back when Wonderland had stores outside the mall that, if I'm remembering correctly, you could not get into from inside the mall. I also remember getting snacks at the food place in Woolworth's at Wonderland.

Does anyone else remember the club called Doc Holliday's in a strip center on 410 and Fredericksburg Road?
About Wonderland. Were the stores that were in the mall but not accessable on the lower level? Was that around the Piccadilly Cafeteria? I just can't remember.

Also was Doc Holliday on the strip mall on the inside of the loop, west of Wonderland mall? I recall there was a nightclub there that had many names but I thought it started out as Doc Holliday's.

I know I've asked this before, but no one remembers the Sinclair Dinosaurs coming to the Wonderland mall? Maybe some of you lurkers know what I'm talking about. They came for a few years in a row in the late 60's early 70's. Then Sinclair was bought out by ARCO, then they never came again. I think there was a Sinclair gas station on the corner of Fredricksburg and Wonderland Dr?

Old 03-27-2007, 12:54 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,369,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nursemate View Post
I remember Edge Falls. I used to go camping along the river and went several times with my boyfriend and his family. It was so beautiful there. My sister is 10 years younger than me and she remembers our family going there once when she was about 4 years old (1968). Fast forward about 30 years and a doctor I worked with said he owned that ranch. Don't know if he was telling the truth as he was a little demented by then! I would love to go back. We also lived on the Kirsche (sp) ranch for a while in the 60's, just outside Boerne. The only thing in Boerne that I remember from that time was a small general store with a gas pump outside, and a small motel that we stayed at. Oh so many memories are coming back. I was in 2nd grade and we could buy chocolate milk for mid-morning snack for 2 cents.

Yea!!!! I'm so glad someone remembers it! I think I actually found the "falls" on an ariel map from mapquest! I think they lied to me about it being closed off. They probably said that to discourage exploring the area. This ariel looks like the location.

OK...here's one I have seen written about. Remember when we had "BLUE LAWS?????"....no shopping at all on Sunday??? How did we ever get by??? LOL!!! When did that change....in the 70's??

Old 03-27-2007, 01:14 PM

Who can forget those Blue Laws. You young pups just will never know the horror, sheer horror of not being able to shop on Sundays. Imagine if you will all those people that hated football were forced to watch it. Of course back then there was a lot more picnicing going on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio