Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2008, 08:49 PM

4 posts, read 6,582 times

Advertisements

I sure remember Floyds Dairy Bar, you could get 6 hamburgers for a buck. They had the best malts around, and across the street was the Park-Air Drive Inn, and Bill Miller started his empire from that same location. I can remember going to Miller's when he sold only chicken eggs by the carton. My favoritte hang out as a kid was the Highland Hill's Pharmacy, not too far away. I'm going back to the late 50's and 60's...This is my first reply on this site, hope it comes thru okay....

Old 08-19-2008, 05:58 AM

32 posts, read 93,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by npjohnso View Post
I sure remember Floyds Dairy Bar, you could get 6 hamburgers for a buck. They had the best malts around, and across the street was the Park-Air Drive Inn, and Bill Miller started his empire from that same location. I can remember going to Miller's when he sold only chicken eggs by the carton. My favoritte hang out as a kid was the Highland Hill's Pharmacy, not too far away. I'm going back to the late 50's and 60's...This is my first reply on this site, hope it comes thru okay....

Floyds is stillthere just now the burgers are 5 for $2.99 and still taste as good as every

Old 08-19-2008, 09:19 AM

64 posts, read 431,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandrasq View Post
How about the Sears Downtown? It used to be where the Library is now. They had a parking garage and you get keys made right there in the parking area
Yes, and did your parents have what was called a charga-plate from Sears? It was the forerunner of what we now call credit cards.

Old 08-19-2008, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by offshore92135 View Post
i know what you mean. i had a special attachment to the old lackland drive-in on somerset rd during my teen years, in the mid to late seventies. ....gone but not forgotten.
Did you ever drive off before remembering to put the speaker back? My best memories were from the San Pedro Drive-In.

Old 08-19-2008, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellringer View Post
My folks met at Lackland AFB in late 1959. They had their first date at Valerio's. Their second date was at a Chinese restaurant that a lot of military personnel frequented. It might have been near Valerio's. Does anyone know the name? Thanks!
Wasn't Tai Shan just a few blocks from Valerio's?

Old 08-19-2008, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfig16 View Post
This has been entertaining reading...the field trips to Buttercrust (you got bread that tasted so much better than when you bought from the store & they gave you a blue & white pencil too!)......
And the slices were at least twice as thick as what you bought at the store. And don't forget the wooden ruler and the nice bookcovers that we got too, besides the pencil!

Old 08-19-2008, 10:14 AM

1,893 posts, read 5,589,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DickZ View Post
Yes, and did your parents have what was called a charga-plate from Sears? It was the forerunner of what we now call credit cards.
Charge plate. I haven't heard that term in many decades. Your right that's what they were first called. I just pulled in Floyd's the other day for a Malt. They are the best. Actually it was a few months ago. The last time I looked at Floyd's is was suspiciously quiet. I hope they didn't close. If they did it wouldn't be for lack of business.

Old 08-19-2008, 11:04 AM

2,359 posts, read 6,435,680 times
I remember reading somewhere about handy andy having 51 stores in its prime, would anyone have any listing of all the handy andy's that were in SA at one time or another?

Old 08-19-2008, 04:44 PM

6 posts, read 8,257 times
Default judson's candy

we were here in the 80's and took a cub scout field trip to Judson's candies. the drive back was ridiculous, imagine a car full of sugared up
cubbies. boing boing!

Old 08-19-2008, 04:49 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,850,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne Robertson View Post
we were here in the 80's and took a cub scout field trip to Judson's candies. the drive back was ridiculous, imagine a car full of sugared up
cubbies. boing boing!

I can just picture that!! A friend of mine from High School worked there a while. Must have been a "sweet" experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio