Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2017, 08:46 AM

779 posts, read 1,660,281 times

Advertisements

Illegal or not, it's Leon Valley. Best to behave and not give an officer the benefit of the doubt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2017, 01:38 PM

207 posts, read 320,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clnconcpts View Post
Think you should re read . My answer is correct and verified by your response. Apologies accepted
As far as I can see, you were not correct.

This is a Flush Median Island:

This is what you can't turn left across.

Old 02-22-2017, 01:58 PM

2,382 posts, read 3,499,509 times
None of those at that location.
If you look at the location on Google Earth, you will see that you will cross 3 lanes of oncoming traffic in order to turn into the parking lot.
If you are a considerate person and have a little common sense, turning left there when traffic is backed up 3 lanes is just wrong...legal or not.

Old 02-22-2017, 02:01 PM

15 posts, read 54,951 times
Thanks to everyone for the responses.
I learned some new things here. Even if it's not illegal,
it is just bad driving.

Speaking of left turns, I was driving on babcock today, and a car stopped halfway in a designated left turn lane, waiting out oncoming traffic before pulling into a convenience store parking lot. Is that also considered bad driving? When is making a left turn like that acceptable? Picture enclosed...
Attached Thumbnails
illegal left turn?-2017-02-22-14.45.49.jpg  

Old 02-22-2017, 02:09 PM

2,382 posts, read 3,499,509 times
Yes, if their vehicle was still halfway sticking out in your lane, that's just rude, inconsiderate and illegal

Old 02-22-2017, 02:16 PM

6,498 posts, read 7,528,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhombus View Post
Thanks for the response..I have uploaded a photo of what I'm referring to of the left hand turn in question. Not of exact intersection, but same example. Yes, I wonder if it is illegal in texas to make that turn
This picture has a turning lane coming from the opposite direction, I assume your direction would have one as well. So why would it be illegal?

Quote:
Thanks to everyone for the responses.
I learned some new things here. Even if it's not illegal,
it is just bad driving.

Speaking of left turns, I was driving on babcock today, and a car stopped halfway in a designated left turn lane, waiting out oncoming traffic before pulling into a convenience store parking lot. Is that also considered bad driving? When is making a left turn like that acceptable? Picture enclosed...
If the city did not want me turning they should have put a median there to prevent me from doing so.

Old 02-22-2017, 04:31 PM

814 posts, read 675,792 times
Everything is legal if you use your blinker.

Old 03-03-2017, 05:52 PM

15 posts, read 54,951 times
Thanks for the responses, everyone. Even though it's not illegal to make a left turn over double yellow lines in certain cases, maybe sometimes it can be bad driving, depending on circumstances. Maybe drivers ed classes should focus more on ettiquette?

Final question I hope to ask on this. Where huebner road intersects with bandera rd, you can make a left into the peter piper pizza parking lot from the designated turn lane. Picture enclosed.

My question is, even though it's not illegal to make the left turn in the pic in this post, would everyone agree that it would be rude driving to stop and make the left turn in that situation , or its ok ?
Attached Thumbnails
illegal left turn?-2017-03-03-18.44.31.jpg  

Old 03-03-2017, 07:55 PM

4,323 posts, read 7,230,918 times
Quote:
Final question I hope to ask on this. Where huebner road intersects with bandera rd, you can make a left into the peter piper pizza parking lot from the designated turn lane. Picture enclosed.

My question is, even though it's not illegal to make the left turn in the pic in this post, would everyone agree that it would be rude driving to stop and make the left turn in that situation , or its ok ?
In that situation, where you are approaching from Huebner going west, you only have two other options:

1. Turn left into the driveway a couple of hundred feet back from that one -- the one that leads to the loading dock area behind the stores.

2. Turn left onto Bandera, then go down and turn left into the Firestone parking lot, to get to Peter Piper. There is a median along Bandera Road, and that is the only place you can turn from Bandera. Given the typical traffic volumes on Bandera, this could be a tough turn to make.

None of the options are ideal. It's a matter of which one is the lesser evil. I would probably go with #1, but your way shouldn't really be all that disruptive, if you think about it. If you are in the left turn lane wanting to turn into that parking lot, and the light turns green, then all other directions have a red light. The only opposing traffic should be from northbound Bandera traffic turning right onto Huebner after stopping on red. The right lane on Bandera is not a dedicated turn lane, so if someone in that lane isn't turning right, there should be no opposing traffic at all with a green light in the left turn lane you are in.

Old 03-03-2017, 09:38 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,829,912 times
When I'm asking myself questions such as the above, I try to put myself in the OTHER drivers' position, and consider it from their perspective. And when in doubt, I'll just go somewhere where I can clearly make a legal turn and do what's necessary to get where I need to go as safely and legally as possible.

We used to call that defensive driving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio