Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 11:47 PM

47 posts, read 228,405 times

Advertisements

Now as far as the Obama Clinton thing I'm not worried about that it's far from over and to be real I'm not sure about either one of them. But there is a black and latino divide in some instances even on alot of jobs here in San Antonio. Like the city for instance you will hardly see any blacks working for the city. A few years ago some black workers we're suing the city for discrimination and harrassment on the job and this is real I don't know what the outcome was. But this is real my dad worked for the city and I have meet others that been through the samething and it's the hispanic supervisors and workers who are doing this. Now there's nothing wrong for looking out for your people but the nonsense needs to STOP!!!! There are blacks who will work hard who are educated and but we need to stop this crap over these bulls*** jobs that don't pay anything. I did not start this to offend anybody but we need to talk about this and embrace the black the asian and other cultures in San Antonio not just white and latino. I had to speak for us if I don't who will? Like I said I wanna have a converstion about this without us offending each other or insulting each other.

Old 03-06-2008, 12:55 AM

355 posts, read 1,375,317 times
There is discimination everywhere between all races. If youre Dad cant find a job or whatever, I dotn think its the hispanics fault.

Old 03-06-2008, 04:51 AM

7,629 posts, read 16,456,953 times
All QUALIFIED applicants for any position should be considered for any job equally...key word here being QUALIFIED.

To indicate that someone should be "given" a job based on race/religion/gender alone is as wrong as to say someone of qualification should NOT be considered because of such.
If you dad, or anyone else feels that they have been unfairly treated because of race/religion or gender, there are means review to ensure fair and equal treatment.

Old 03-06-2008, 06:57 AM

361 posts, read 925,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
All QUALIFIED applicants for any position should be considered for any job equally...key word here being QUALIFIED.

To indicate that someone should be "given" a job based on race/religion/gender alone is as wrong as to say someone of qualification should NOT be considered because of such.
If you dad, or anyone else feels that they have been unfairly treated because of race/religion or gender, there are means review to ensure fair and equal treatment.

Many government and private companies define San Antonio's form of affirmative action as "proportions," meaning the % of race "X" a company/the city should hire should be equal to the % of race "X" in the city. Hispanics are the majority of San Antonio, so the city and many employers believe that hispanics should be the majority of their workforce too.

Is it fair? Yes and no. It's fair if you want "equal representation" but it's not fair if you are person #101 in a 100-person limit (for example).

In the time I went to UTSA, the school went from calling itself a diverse institution to a "hispanic-serving institution." Every year it's a big deal when it makes the list of top ten hispanic schools. While sitting in class, I NEVER had more than two or three black people and two Asians, no matter how large the class. Is it racist? Absolutely! And I don't like the justification of it being because hispanics are minorities somewhere else, because they're not minorities here and have no right to exercise priveleges as such when I am in a class filled with 200 students and less than five are blacks, Hindus/Arabs, and Asians, and the majority of the rest are hispanics.

Old 03-06-2008, 07:54 AM

1,241 posts, read 4,335,117 times
To the OP.

You know, your dad may have a better chance working for the City of Detroit. Honestly, I don’t see any Hispanics in the cabinet or council there. As someone mentioned before, unfortunately it happens everywhere and you know something else? Even more so against Hispanics! You come talk to me when there are an even amount of actors portraying regular “civil” people in commercials. Pay attention the next time there is a commercial break and count out the disparity. As for Obama which you didn’t want to bring up, why on earth would he have a presentation in the middle of a work/school day on the Westside of San Antonio when most people are working? Was he trying to weed out certain people and only speak to the easily swayed? (rhetorical)

I honestly to avoid these types of threads but I felt compelled to comment. Thank you for taking the time to read my post. Forgive me for any spelling or grammatical errors.

The Official Web Site of the City of Detroit (broken link)

Last edited by SA Greed; 03-06-2008 at 07:55 AM.. Reason: adding link

Old 03-06-2008, 08:36 AM

Default see

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock's Beard View Post
Many government and private companies define San Antonio's form of affirmative action as "proportions," meaning the % of race "X" a company/the city should hire should be equal to the % of race "X" in the city. Hispanics are the majority of San Antonio, so the city and many employers believe that hispanics should be the majority of their workforce too.

Is it fair? Yes and no. It's fair if you want "equal representation" but it's not fair if you are person #101 in a 100-person limit (for example).

In the time I went to UTSA, the school went from calling itself a diverse institution to a "hispanic-serving institution." Every year it's a big deal when it makes the list of top ten hispanic schools. While sitting in class, I NEVER had more than two or three black people and two Asians, no matter how large the class. Is it racist? Absolutely! And I don't like the justification of it being because hispanics are minorities somewhere else, because they're not minorities here and have no right to exercise priveleges as such when I am in a class filled with 200 students and less than five are blacks, Hindus/Arabs, and Asians, and the majority of the rest are hispanics.
Now you see what I'm saying.

Old 03-06-2008, 08:45 AM

86 posts, read 314,654 times
I'm sorry, I'd like to put some effort and intelligent consideration to your original post/concern, but I can't get past you saying:

"Like I said I wanna have a converstion about this without us offending each other or insulting each other."

and then saying

"hey fool to let you know my dad has always kept a job and for the record he's retired period end of story."

You said no insults, yet you were the first one to call names. So, I think at this point you have lost interest and input from those that would have tried to contribute thoughtfully to your concern.

FWIW, I don't think metalfish was trying to be insulting with his comment - he was giving thought to your concern - he didn't feel like it is something that is isolated to San Antonio.

Old 03-06-2008, 08:51 AM

Default Your Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by bornandraisedSA View Post
I'm sorry, I'd like to put some effort and intelligent consideration to your original post/concern, but I can't get past you saying:

"Like I said I wanna have a converstion about this without us offending each other or insulting each other."

and then saying

"hey fool to let you know my dad has always kept a job and for the record he's retired period end of story."

You said no insults, yet you were the first one to call names. So, I think at this point you have lost interest and input from those that would have tried to contribute thoughtfully to your concern.

FWIW, I don't think metalfish was trying to be insulting with his comment - he was giving thought to your concern - he didn't feel like it is something that is isolated to San Antonio.
Your right and I take back what I said. I just hate it when people make assumptions and don't know what thier talking about. I didn't say my dad couldn't get a job I was talking about things a person can go through or face on a job. But I didn't say that nobody can't get a job if you look hard enough something will come up even if it takes awhile. But let's be real here discrimination still exsist. So I hope I clarified what I meant come on people let's get it right no assumptions just facts.

Old 03-06-2008, 08:58 AM

Default can you read

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalfish View Post
There is discimination everywhere between all races. If youre Dad cant find a job or whatever, I dotn think its the hispanics fault.
My dad has always kept a job and for the record he's retired get it right no assumptions.

Old 03-06-2008, 08:58 AM

2,397 posts, read 6,457,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imthrowed94 View Post
But let's be real here discrimination still exsist.
And, where may I ask, did you get the impression that it doesn't? I don't think I've ever read ANYWHERE that discrimination doesn't exist. Unfortunately, it's a part of society...whether most of us like it or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio