Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 07:49 PM

265 posts, read 1,190,911 times

Advertisements

Since there aren't usually basements in SA houses, where do you store stuff? Mostly in your garage? Can your valuables take the heat? I am thinking with heat & humidity, things like photos and papers will be damaged. We have a lot of boxes & coming from Michigan, we aren't sure if they are going to be safe in a garage under extreme temps.
Where do you store your Christmas decorations, kids clothes, etc.???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2008, 07:53 PM

3,060 posts, read 7,424,644 times
Have you noticed there are a million trillion storage units around here?? :P As soon as I get an attic fan, our stuff is going up there. We used a garage unit for awhile, but it was mostly temporary while our house is on the market.

Old 03-10-2008, 08:05 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,557,307 times
kids clothes/toys go in the attic until they're needed again, tools/construction stuff in our newly restored carriage house. Everything else we try not to store. Pictures and stuff are in places where they will be looked at (ie in albums on bookshelves or getting there).

We have zero storage space in our old house. It helps us to not accumulate stuff that needs to be stored.

Old 03-10-2008, 08:40 PM
djw

951 posts, read 2,835,272 times
That's one of the things I have LOVED about being military and moving every 2-3 years...no STUFF to store! The trick is to purge purge purge!! Clothes don't fit, I give 'em away. Photos, scan 'em and go digital. Old toys, off to Goodwill. Change of decor, time for a yard sale! And freecycle has become one of my favorite sites! I don't do cold weather - so there really isn't a "winter" wardrobe. Really important documents get scanned and the rest get shredded.

But to answer your questions, what little bit of seasonal stuff I do have goes in the garage or under the stairs.

Old 03-10-2008, 08:45 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,036,574 times
I'm with you, djw! The only things I don't purge often enough are clothes. But I do need to do some spring cleaning soon and get my drawers and closets thinned out. Life is so much better without all the "stuff" we spend time and money storing and worrying about. There is something freeing about "less stuff." Just let it go!

Old 03-10-2008, 09:31 PM

3,060 posts, read 7,424,644 times
That's a lesson we're learning as our house is on the market - stuff goes into boxes, and we don't miss it! So it goes!

Old 03-11-2008, 01:33 AM

64 posts, read 180,226 times
I've noticed garages seem to be smaller here (or maybe just the ones I've seen) so our two car garage has really become a one car garage/storage facility, but no I probably wouldn't store any important paper stuff out there. However, I did put our christmas stuff on shelves in the garage.

Old 03-11-2008, 05:52 AM

1,532 posts, read 3,699,797 times
We have a HUGE space under our stairs that holds our christmas decorations, etc. I love it! Our garage mostly holds my sons outdoor toys, lawn and garden equip. etc.

Old 03-11-2008, 05:57 AM

394 posts, read 1,506,573 times
We have a "rule" in our house that "if we haven't used it in a year", we don't need it. So typically we give it away or toss it. Like others I found that when we put our house on the market in Louisville we did a tremendous amount of purging. We hadn't even kept our own "toss if after a year" rule! So as we decluttered our house to get ready for putting it on the market we purged a tremendous amount of STUFF! Actually it's very "freeing" to simplify and also felt great to get organized.

The house we just sold didn't have a basement, although most in KY do, and we really never missed it. Unless a basement is a finished living area I think they are just junk collectors. So our new home in S.A. won't be much of a change for us as far as storing things. Christmas dec. can go in the garage (or attic) as well as yard stuff. Other than that we will have plenty of storage in the new place. I've also found that making a committment to properly organizing "stuff" takes up much less space.

I love the idea of scanning documents into the computer - I think I'll do that too!

Old 03-11-2008, 05:58 AM

14,637 posts, read 35,036,574 times
We have that huge space also! That's where our Christmas and Halloween decorations go. That's really about all that we store anymore. That and books, but I re-read my books, so I don't feel so bad about those!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio