Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2006, 01:03 PM

4 posts, read 27,896 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I have just moved to San Antonio and am originally from Germany.

I was wondering if there are more Germans out here I could talk to??
Of course I don't only talk to Germans, but it would be great to know some who are foreigners here too

Thanks a lot
Samira
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2006, 09:32 PM

266 posts, read 706,260 times
there are lots around, so i hear! i have been looking for germans to hang out with and help me with my german. i havent had much luck.

there are a few resurants that the owners are german perhaps you can have luck there. what part of town do you live in? i think my problem is not many people want to teach german, they just want a taste of home, so you should have a better chance!

Old 12-07-2006, 10:05 AM

13,791 posts, read 8,152,081 times
You'll find more of the german influence further into the hill country in Boerne (named after German poet Ludwig Borne) or in New Braunfels and Gruene, both to the northeast off I-35.

This is taken from the city of Boerne's website:

"In spite of the influx of different ethnic groups, the German cultural tradition has dominated the community in many ways. The Boerne Gesangverein, or singing society, which was established in 1860, was an important social and recreational organization until it disbanded in 1977; German community organizations still active include the Boerne Schuetzen Verein (shooting club), which was formed in 1864, and the Boerne Village Band, which was formed about the same time as the singing society. Boerne has also held an annual celebration, the Berges Fest, since 1967."

Old 12-07-2006, 12:35 PM

2,392 posts, read 9,648,843 times
I can count at least 5 couple in my neighborhood as German,4 older couples that still speak German to each other,a 30s something couple and then one nice couple from Hungry.

Old 01-18-2007, 07:54 PM

12 posts, read 79,136 times
Default Lots of Germans

My family is from the Castroville, Hondo, Quihi area and trust me-there are tons of Krauts like us out there. (Not meant as a slur; my last name is Hartmann.) Go poke around Medina county and I guarantee you will find someone to chat with auf Deutsch.

Old 01-21-2007, 10:43 AM

4,796 posts, read 15,361,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samira View Post
Hi all,

I have just moved to San Antonio and am originally from Germany.

I was wondering if there are more Germans out here I could talk to??
Of course I don't only talk to Germans, but it would be great to know some who are foreigners here too

Thanks a lot
Samira

HI Samira......welcome to San Antonio! This city is steeped with German history because of the German settlements in the 1860's. You might try contacting the foreign language department at some of the local universities and find a German professor. UTSA might be a good source. They will most likely have many German resources for you.

I wish my son was here......he has been studying German for 6 years and wants to visit Germany so badly. He's a walking textbook (at least to me!) I'm sure he could learn a lot from you....including practicing his German. He teaches me new words constantly.

BTW - The is an organization called the "German Club", which was formed in the late 1800's. It is purely a social club by invitation only and really has nothing to do with Germany! (Just in case you hear about it!)

Good luck!

Old 02-12-2007, 06:28 AM

Thanks to you all for your replies. I still have not met many Germans here ( one in the gym) and I know of Boerne etc.

I might just have to go to a VW meeting.....I am sure there are quite a few or go to New Braunfels / Fredericksburg

Again, thanks to you all!
Samira

Old 02-12-2007, 11:18 AM

244 posts, read 1,092,486 times
Hallo!

Tons of German influence in SA in case you haven't noticed.

Old 02-12-2007, 11:47 AM

2,743 posts, read 14,291,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTSASTUD View Post
Hallo!

Tons of German influence in SA in case you haven't noticed.

And tons more in New Braunfels, which of course has already been mentioned... When I lived in NB I had German neighbors every which way.

Sorry I can't help with SA... though I'm 1/4 German (actually more than that, my mom's dad was German and her maternal grandpa German too) and one day I'll inherit a house in Austria!

Old 02-26-2007, 09:44 AM

Of course I notice all the influence but still have not met many Germans here..... not that this is that important to me but it would be nice!
Most people I have met do have some "German blood" in them but I have not met anyone yet who has moved to San Antonio from Germany. I mean someone who has lived in Germany for a long time before moving here.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio