Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2009, 09:17 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,019,120 times

Advertisements

WOAI is reporting that Cafe Paladar closed...........
Nation’s Economy Portends Tough Times Locally | WOAI.COM: San Antonio News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2009, 12:32 AM

1,131 posts, read 1,779,133 times
That's one of the reasons I dislike most news but espcially WOAI. They're so negative and over sensational with their news.

Why not report about the restaurants that open on an almost every other day basis instead of the few that close as if that isn't just a part of the restaurant lifestyle whether in a recession or in the best of times. It's like they ignore the fact that restaurants are one of the toughest businesses to keep open during any wave of the ecomony.

Old 01-12-2009, 09:30 AM

667 posts, read 1,567,050 times
Camino Ranch (1604/Forum) closed last week.. word of mouth has it that Chuy's (Chuy's ) is going to move in though.

Old 01-12-2009, 12:00 PM

2,359 posts, read 6,431,087 times
Anyone see that Colonna's is opening in Helotes, they had some great pizza back in the 80's and 90's.

Old 01-12-2009, 01:24 PM

490 posts, read 1,094,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonfresh View Post
That's one of the reasons I dislike most news but espcially WOAI. They're so negative and over sensational with their news.

Why not report about the restaurants that open on an almost every other day basis instead of the few that close as if that isn't just a part of the restaurant lifestyle whether in a recession or in the best of times. It's like they ignore the fact that restaurants are one of the toughest businesses to keep open during any wave of the ecomony.
Exactly. In the Cafe Paladar, at least in my opinion, it wasn't that good! No surpise that with all the better places that have opened around it, it would close. Bad location as well!

Old 01-12-2009, 02:23 PM

Exactly, in the letter the owner/chef of Cafe Palador sent out announcing their closing he specifically states that not only the 2008 economy as the reason for closing but also because of the many new restaurant openings around him that have caused his closing. But WOAI wouldn't let that little positive detail into their doom and gloom story.

Old 01-12-2009, 06:02 PM

791 posts, read 3,958,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonfresh View Post
That's one of the reasons I dislike most news but espcially WOAI. They're so negative and over sensational with their news. Why not report about the restaurants that open on an almost every other day basis instead of the few that close as if that isn't just a part of the restaurant lifestyle whether in a recession or in the best of times. It's like they ignore the fact that restaurants are one of the toughest businesses to keep open during any wave of the ecomony.
I also dislike WOAI intensely - I think their news reporting is [expletive deleted] and their journalistic ethics are in the toilet. That said, however, I don't think it was inappropriate to report on Cafe Paladar's closing.

Paladar was one of the restaurants that was emblematic of the demographic/economic/cultural shifts taking place in SA, and its closing certainly causes one to think about how the economy will continue to impact the city's recent transformation... I certainly don't think we'll be seeing new restaurants opening with the same frequency as they have been. Plus, Brian West is one of the city's more high-profile chefs, so it makes the story a bit "newsier". BTW - the Express-News also ran this story Sunday. For my part, I am sad to see Paladar close... the food was inventive and soooo good.

Old 01-12-2009, 06:30 PM

65 posts, read 158,876 times
Default New Restaurant Openings in San Antonio and the Metro

I'm excited about Two Brothers Barbeque on West Avenue between Blanco and Bitters. It's been soooooooo long since we've had an alternative to Grady's/Casey's. The sign says opening soon. I'm really hopeful. Someone told me there was a blurb in the paper but I missed it.

Old 01-12-2009, 06:33 PM

65 posts, read 158,876 times
Default Chama Gaucha

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadDog.SanAntonio View Post
Chama Gaucha. Here is the website address Chama Gaucha | Brazilian Steakhouse. They are advertising on Jack-FM. I haven't been in yet, so I don't know their prices.

Any reviews on this place yet?? Prices??

I have a co-worker who raves about this place. He says the food and the service are phenomenal!

Old 01-12-2009, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelesteDF View Post
I also dislike WOAI intensely - I think their news reporting is [expletive deleted] and their journalistic ethics are in the toilet. That said, however, I don't think it was inappropriate to report on Cafe Paladar's closing.
It's not the reporting of the closing that is terrible it's the manner in which they convey it, it closed, restaurants of all kinds do this because like I said before the restaurant business is one the toughest to be successful in. But WOAI chooses to present stories like that all negatively because their station manager feels that will get them ratings which it doesn't yet they continue this route and now are in fourth place (they actually get beat by KABB's News at Nine now).

Quote:
Paladar was one of the restaurants that was emblematic of the demographic/economic/cultural shifts taking place in SA, and its closing certainly causes one to think about how the economy will continue to impact the city's recent transformation...
I don't think it was but if it were it was three years ago and since then the culinary scene in SA has changed dramatically and continues to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio