Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2018, 08:39 AM

304 posts, read 295,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
We are not Dallas and we do not want to be. I, for one, hope it never happens.
It’s shocking to me that people don’t want an improved city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2018, 08:45 AM

2,721 posts, read 4,391,907 times
Default Differing,

The public transportation system isn't so bad here in the Alamo City. I have seen far,far worse.
I have seen many city buses being towed away in my experience, in other cities. The physical condition
of these buses made this obvious.
The City does need a light rail system to alleviate the rush hour taxed road system,but don't try to convince San Antonio Oakies of this. Rail is incredibly convenient.
They just don't get it, yet. Traffic isn't so bad here anyway, yet...the more time passes the more obvious it will become, as will the cost.
As will the implosion of the current administration.
There is plenty of ecosystem left, this is a huge state. The Edwards Plateau is as big as all of New England.
With enough space left over to include Pennsylvania. These facts should help your heart heal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by raisins99 View Post
I'm sure this is frequently discussed, but it's simply unbelievable to me that San Antonio doesn't have even light rail. The Via system is a joke. The near complete lack of a good public transportation system will probably damage any revitalization efforts. What's the point of affordable housing when the jobs are increasingly moving to the environmentally devastated areas north of the city? (I saw an entire hill recently removed today. I'm still heartbroken thiking about how devastated that ecosystem has been).

Old 01-05-2018, 09:23 AM

4,437 posts, read 5,349,686 times
Quote:
It’s shocking to me that people don’t want an improved city.
Why do you keep saying that? Are you even aware of how much construction the city is experiencing?

Have you not looked at Tobin Hill, the Pearl area, the Broadway Corridor, Lavaca, Southtown, ETC...

Terramark Urban homes has been rapidly building vacant inner city lots.

San Antonio, TX | Terramark

The Arts condo and hotel tower has broken a record for the fastest selling condo building in Texas.

https://globenewswire.com/news-relea...dbreaking.html

Here is the city crane watch and as you can see most projects are in the inner city.

https://www.bizjournals.com/sananton.../project-watch

Old 01-05-2018, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynetwo View Post
Why do you keep saying that? Are you even aware of how much construction the city is experiencing?

Have you not looked at Tobin Hill, the Pearl area, the Broadway Corridor, Lavaca, Southtown, ETC...

Terramark Urban homes has been rapidly building vacant inner city lots.

San Antonio, TX | Terramark

The Arts condo and hotel tower has broken a record for the fastest selling condo building in Texas.

https://globenewswire.com/news-relea...dbreaking.html

Here is the city crane watch and as you can see most projects are in the inner city.

https://www.bizjournals.com/sananton.../project-watch
I’m not sure this response has anything to do with an improved city, at least not in the way I’m discussing. There’s unfettered growth occurring with very little oversight or thought dedicated to ecosystem or future concerns like traffic patterns. That San Antonio continues to refuse a robust public transportation system, especially light rail, is baffling. Sure, the few buses are nice to look upon and apparently don’t need to be towed often. But the routes are very lacking and appear to be focused on local rather than city way movement.

Old 01-05-2018, 10:08 AM

4,437 posts, read 5,349,686 times
Quote:
I’m not sure this response has anything to do with an improved city, at least not in the way I’m discussing. There’s unfettered growth occurring with very little oversight or thought dedicated to ecosystem or future concerns like traffic patterns. That San Antonio continues to refuse a robust public transportation system, especially light rail, is baffling. Sure, the few buses are nice to look upon and apparently don’t need to be towed often. But the routes are very lacking and appear to be focused on local rather than city way movement.
Light rail will get built. Will it help much? The jury is still out.

https://www.citylab.com/transportati...vestment/8838/

At this time if you do not own a car in San Antonio you will need to live a very few select areas. That is changing rapidly so I am still not sure your point. Are we Dallas, Chicago, NYC? Not even close, but not to acknowledge how much is going on in city center San Antonio is ignoring facts. If you are really basing it solely on public transportation than you are in the minority.

FYI if you like to read...

Vision 2040: | Updating Our Long Range Plan

San Antonio Multimodal Transportation Plan

Old 01-05-2018, 10:19 AM

2,382 posts, read 3,502,455 times
Cracks me up every time someone moves here, then starts complaining that it's not like it was where they came from.
Here a very short time, yet is an expert on how things should be done.

Old 01-05-2018, 10:49 AM

Unfocused growth? OF course. Development follows the money, not a compass.There is oversight and concern. Nothing like doom will happen here because of poor planning or no oversight for the environment or ecosystem or infrastructure.
The City is not quite ready for prime time as far a a rail is concerned.
San Antonio is still a backwater city in a number of ways. The old ways die hard.
Water is the main concern here. The San Antonio River Authority watches over this irreplaceable
wealth. The Edwards underground Authority watches the entire Edwards Aquifer and Recharge Zone as an overseer of the entire watershed.
So far, so good but this won't last forever as your move here, demonstrates, this won't last forever. I believe that roughly 35,000 people like you moved here last year.
The fact that you cannot afford a home in the more desirable areas has nothing do with the desirability of this area to immigrants. Thus it has always been. All is well in San Antonio.
All is well in Texas. As the closing of the Coal Fired Elec. Plant south of Dallas, demonstrated.
That was One of the biggest eyesores in the U.S. Texas is very clean overall as far as pollutedness.
With a lot of mineral wealth.This is a paradox, I know.
Houston is messy,very messy and rivals northern industrial cities like Detroit and Chicago in that respect.
Is Houston as toxic as the industrial areas? I don't know but I doubt it, Houston has a lot of Texas Toxic mineral wealth and indeed much of the nation's entire wealth is refined there, all along the Texas coast. It can't be far behind.
The price of gasoline would multiply if a major hurricane took out all of the refineries in Southeast Texas.
Look at a map of petroleum pipelines in the U.S.
Originally I recommended not, buying a house there in 78228. The inner city here is not nearly as bad as most.
Nearly all. I did not mean to say that the area will not improve or that you should not move there. It really is not that bad an area if as I said, you buy along Loop 410 of the 78228 area. Don't necessarily buy a brand new home.

San Antonio is bigger and better than ever. Believe me, I was gone for a long time.
Quote:

Old 01-05-2018, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynetwo View Post
Light rail will get built. Will it help much? The jury is still out.

https://www.citylab.com/transportati...vestment/8838/

At this time if you do not own a car in San Antonio you will need to live a very few select areas. That is changing rapidly so I am still not sure your point. Are we Dallas, Chicago, NYC? Not even close, but not to acknowledge how much is going on in city center San Antonio is ignoring facts. If you are really basing it solely on public transportation than you are in the minority.

FYI if you like to read...

Vision 2040: | Updating Our Long Range Plan

San Antonio Multimodal Transportation Plan
Public transportation isn’t confined to just a few select cities. Even many smaller cities have public transport. It’s just shocking to me that dan Antonio hardly has any.

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtea View Post
Cracks me up every time someone moves here, then starts complaining that it's not like it was where they came from.
Here a very short time, yet is an expert on how things should be done.
Where I came from was a tiny rural town so this isn’t wanting Walmart I had. It’s simply surprise that San Antonio has such unfettered growth without anything so basic as a robust transportation plan. This isn’t about being an expert. It’s actual fact.

Old 01-05-2018, 11:58 AM

6,707 posts, read 8,780,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by huckster View Post

<snip>word salad<end snip>

San Antonio is bigger and better than ever. Believe me, I was gone for a long time.
SA is bigger for sure but better? That remains to be seen.

Old 01-05-2018, 02:52 PM

Default San Antonio

Why but of course the city is better now. It is only because you've no sense of the past that you can't see what is.
Simply put you can't and I can. I saw what the City once was , and what it has been historically. A cynic sees that price of everything but the value of nothing.
This only means you've no vision of the future, none whatsoever. Stay where you are. It is fun.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure110 View Post
SA is bigger for sure but better? That remains to be seen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio