Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2018, 12:31 AM

61,728 posts, read 87,147,355 times

Advertisements

Looks like they happen quite often... Especially near Poth.
https://earthquaketrack.com/us-tx-san-antonio/recent

Six years ago near Karnes City - 4.8 magnitude!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2018, 12:56 AM

1,004 posts, read 1,620,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Looks like they happen quite often... Especially near Poth.
https://earthquaketrack.com/us-tx-san-antonio/recent

Six years ago near Karnes City - 4.8 magnitude!!
When I travel to the coast, I take US-181. I enjoy going through
Poth & Karnes City, stopping by the local fruit stands along the way.
I never knew about the quakes in that area.

Old 01-08-2018, 06:06 AM

2,721 posts, read 4,391,907 times
Default Earthquakes,

Don't worry about Earthquakes around here Raisin, it is nothing to worry about. Nor nuclear attack.
Nor Forest fires, nor blizzards. Drought , well yes. Not so bad. Listen intently to this though.
If you see a torrent of water on a flooded city street that is a low water crossing, do not try to cross it in your car, you won't make it across. "Turn around don't drown" is the safety catch phrase here. This whole area is called "Flash Flood Alley' by the meteorological people and so this makes it a very dangerous area here for moronic motorists even and some not so moronic. It can be worse here than any where else in the states or on earth even. Torrential downpours will happen periodically here. From the warm moisture laden Gulf air off the ocean that move inland and can become stationary over the entire area. Flooded streets can happen very quickly here, from these torrential downpours. People die all the time. In fact it is common.
This is a real danger,here. Drowning in a very parched hot, area, all kidding around about earthquakes aside.
Watch the fire ants too, people move here and then go out and unknowingly will stand on the top of a small mound of dirt. This is not a good thing for the ants and so they will swarm all over you before you realize it , possibly and you will get many venomous insect bites. If ever you are out of doors at a park lets say, or even in your back yard.
Hurricanes pay an occasional visit but very infrequently. Never too bad. Yet.
Roswell is not faraway however. Just kidding.

Old 01-08-2018, 01:28 PM

^^^^
Your warning about low water crossing is to be commended.
But in the 20 + years of covering flash floods in San Antonio
and surrounding cities,
I doubt folks are listening or they feel
that it won't happen to them.
The fatalities over the years is sad.

Old 01-08-2018, 02:53 PM

6,707 posts, read 8,780,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchodrive View Post
^^^^
Your warning about low water crossing is to be commended.
But in the 20 + years of covering flash floods in San Antonio
and surrounding cities,
I doubt folks are listening or they feel
that it won't happen to them.
The fatalities over the years is sad.
Water crossings I actually take extreme caution to. Unlike earthquakes, flash flooding is a big issue in San Antonio. I don't freak out over it nor does it make me want to move elsewhere though.

Old 01-08-2018, 03:00 PM

2,382 posts, read 3,502,455 times
Yep, flash flooding is the only worry around here. Just use common sense.
Shall we tell them about the rattlesnakes, tarantulas and scorpions that come out of the ground after a minor earthquake?
What about the Chuppacabra?

Old 01-08-2018, 06:58 PM

1,641 posts, read 2,410,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtea View Post
Yep, flash flooding is the only worry around here. Just use common sense.
Shall we tell them about the rattlesnakes, tarantulas and scorpions that come out of the ground after a minor earthquake?
What about the Chuppacabra?
Big Foot sightings generally precede an earthquake event by 48 hours.

Old 01-09-2018, 07:33 AM

Default San Antonio,

Well good Wilgar,
I have figured it out, then. While I was en route to Padre Island last weekend...It was witnessed by me, with astonishment and incredulity on my part - that out of the scrub brush- emerged a Bigfoot which proceeded to run across I-37 last Saturday morning. What a spectacle. In broad daylight.
It was too fast to be a human. To agile. much too large. I had to stop at a tavern in Pleasanton for a Marguerita I was so shaken up. It was just too much to believe. The local barflies said that they had all seen it too.
Especially during earthquakes which seemed to hit the little tavern all the time as the patrons had a difficult time getting to the back door of the tavern, all the time.
As they leave this particular Tavern all patrons, noticed that they too swayed from side to side while reaching for the back door. So. All confirmed that earthquakes were most common to that area. Yes. All inside witnessed to this. It was earthquakes. The ground beneath their feet shook so badly after a visit to the area around the little tavern.
Merely don't buy a house south of the City, 99 Raisins. Bigfoot sightings and earthquakes are common from south Texas- north, all the way up to Fauke, Arkansas. Lest you be bothered.
It is believed by researchers that Bigfeet--- also, "Have migrated to the Greater San Antonio area from the Fauke, Arkansas area."
Everyone knows this is a great place to live.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilGar View Post
Big Foot sightings generally precede an earthquake event by 48 hours.

Last edited by huckster; 01-09-2018 at 08:04 AM..

Old 01-09-2018, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huckster View Post
The further you go towards the Gulf apparently, the worse the water gets too.
Well Water in Beeville,tx was so bad as to render it undrinkable to me. Sulfur like, foul, stench. Rotten eggs malodorous, make you sick quality water. Nothing could disguise the odor.
I never saw any water, like the water from there. Unbelievably bad. I mean bad, real bad.
Not until I moved to San Antonio and later went to
visit my hometown, did I realize how foul tasting
the water was from my hometown.
Otherwise, I wouldn't have known the difference.

Same thing with air-conditioning in the home.

All we had was a rotating fan in one room,
later, a window unit that was better at producing
airplane sounds than cool air.
But we were content since we hadn't experienced
central air.
Today, it would be very uncomfortable in the
house to live without it.

And last but not least were the outdoor toilets
where the odor was very strong...
especially in the blistering hot summer time
where it was considered cool if the temps dropped
into the low 90s and the Sunday newspaper served
many purposes beside reading!

Last edited by ranchodrive; 01-09-2018 at 12:46 PM..

Old 01-14-2018, 07:56 AM

Default From Outside the City of San Antonio,

Outdoor toilets and the fifties....OK.
I had never tried an outside toilet Rancho when I was a little kid.... now that you bring up this unpleasant
task. A long time ago and in a land far, far away.......
I had a paternal great grandmother who still lived in Beeville, Texas just outside the city limits there, back then. There was still some acreage and the remnants of a small community grocery store added onto the side of her house. The little store had closed many years past as my G.grandfather had passed in 1955. We used the large room instead for extended family gatherings where a very long table sat.
It had been a small farm also, as there were still chickens and roosters crowing and milling about within the five acre lot, scratching about for food. I would wander all about the property. This was a huge adventure for a city kid living on a South San Antonio city lot. I never could catch a chicken when I was
5 or 6 years old.
Out there on this property was a small outhouse unused for many,many years. So long had the property been owned -that my Dad even has childhood memories of this house.
Indoor plumbing had been added onto the little house with a bathroom added on also, years before I was ever born. However this did not prevent me from going #1 in the one-holer. A set of railroad tracks ran alongside the little house -which also had an orange tree in the very sandy soil of the front yard with perennially green oranges it seems, thinking back. I remember listening to the noise and whistle of the train when it awakened me the during the night as it passed.

Brings to mind a story Dad told me not long ago, not about San Antonio, but interesting I thought from South Texas during the Great Depression. Took place not far from here when during the great depression, Dad, now 92 years old was but a little kid also and was in Beeville staying with his Grandparents. Hobos were riding the rails in south Texas back then. Beeville was only forty miles from the "end of the line" and so they, the hobos, had, to get off in Corpus I think it was.
Well one of these homeless fellows from the thirties depression era decided to get off in Beeville. Poor guy. Maybe he was hungry. Desperation caused the men to mill about the area.
They did not know who he was.....
A knock was heard one night on the front door and so was answered. This guy demanded entrance to the house and would not go away. Insistent he was, no one knew what he, the hobo would do, since he stuck his foot beyond the doorway and into the house seeking to gain entrance. G. Grandpa was then stuck in a wrestling match as he and the man pushed back and forth against the front door. It was a draw. My Great Uncle happened to be there visiting from Mexico at that very moment. Dad says his uncle then went off into the back room and grabbed an axe and chopped once, into the guy's foot. The foot was withdrawn.
Another recounting is, Dad has a fantastic memory, the train derailed and so a tanker full of gasoline derailed right there one time. Ttimes being what they were, many came with buckets and hauled away gasoline from the ditch which ran alongside the tracks.
Times could be much worse, than they are now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio